Type of site
|Created by||O. D. Kobo|
Pheed was a patented mobile pay per view technology and social networking service that competed with Facebook, Twitter, and related sites. Founded by Internet entrepreneur OD Kobo and launched in November 2012, Pheed was aimed at a younger audience than Facebook's demographic. Pheed combined text, video, images and audio, and included a live broadcast option. Pheed provided a pay-per-view option, covering both individual elements (such as a video or audio event), or subscriptions to a full feed that can be scheduled for a specific time or day with a specific cost, and mobile applications through the Apple App Store and Google Play. The Pheeds could also be shared by Twitter, Facebook, and Gmail, and could be copyrighted, making them the user's property. They could also be kept on the user's wall without any other users seeing it. A user's friends could be invited through Facebook, Twitter, or Gmail.
Pheed was sold to Mobli Media Group, a company majority owned by Carlos Slim Helú, in March 2014 for $40 million. In April 2016, Pheed was shut down and the technology integrated to American Movil platforms.
- Pozi, Ilya. (May 15, 2013). "Pheed iPhone Craze Heads To Android". Forbes. Retrieved December 27, 2013.
- Carney, Michael. "Chinese Internet Tycoon Launches Pheed". Pando Daily.
- Kiss, Jemima. (May 5, 2013). The unique features of Pheed is that you can "love" which is similar to "like" button on Instagram and "I don't love this" pheeds which is like if Instagram would have a "unlike" button. "It is thriving for now - but upstart apps are gunning for Facebook". The Observer.
- Baltin, Steve. (June 5, 2013). "Pheed App Bringing Pay-Per-View to Phones". Rolling Stone. Retrieved December 27, 2013.
- Lunden, Ingrid. (October 19, 2012). "Is Twitter Starving Pheed? New Social Network Says Its Twitter Connect Got Cut Off". TechCrunch. Retrieved December 27, 2013.
- "Pheed users lift app-etite". (March 1, 2013). mX, Brisbane, Australia. p5.
- Pozin, Ilya. "Launch To Exit In 18 Months". Forbes.
- https://www.pheed.com/ (April 6, 2016)