|Developer(s)||Tom Scott, Matt Gray|
|Initial release||29 August 2014|
|Operating system||iOS and Android|
Tom Scott and Matt Gray were inspired to create the app after seeing the success of Yo and the release of emoji characters by the Unicode Consortium. During a talk at Electromagnetic Field Festival, the developers commented that the app originated largely as a joke, but that by the time of launch 70,000 unique usernames had been reserved. The app was launched on 29 August 2014. After press coverage the developers began receiving offers for venture capital.
- Tweedie, Steven (29 August 2014). "You Can Now Try Out The Ridiculous Emoji-Only Messaging App, Emojli". Business Insider. Retrieved 2 September 2014.
- Sola, Katie (29 August 2014). "Emoji-only App Debuts, Nixes Words for Tiny Pictures". Mashable. Retrieved 2 September 2014.
- Stampler, Laura (1 July 2014). "New, Totally Inevitable Social Network Will Let Users Communicate Only Via Emoji". Time.com. Time. Retrieved 2 September 2014.
- Gray, Sarah (2 July 2014). "An emoji-only social network: Ridiculous ... or brilliant?". Salon. Retrieved 2 September 2014.
- Solon, Olivia (30 June 2014). "Emoji-only social network Emojli is the new Yo". wired.co.uk. Wired UK. Retrieved 2 September 2014.
- Turk, Victoria (1 September 2014). "The Creators of Emojli: 'Don't Build an App'". Motherboard. Vice.
- Scott, Tom; Gray, Matt (3 December 2015). "The End of Emojli: The Post-Mortem - Youtube". Retrieved 2015-12-12.
- Emojli (10 June 2015). "Emojli is closing on 30th July. For more info and to download your old messages, please visit emoj.li ; thank you and goodbye!" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Scott, Tom; Gray, Matt (30 August 2014). "Emojli: Behind the Scenes and Why You Should Never Build An App". YouTube.
- "Emojli on Twitter: "Our Android app is available! It should work on most recent devices."". Twitter. 30 January 2015.