Meta (academic company)
|Founders||Sam Molyneux, Amy Molyneux|
|Headquarters||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Academia, Government, Publishing, Industry|
Number of employees
Meta is an artificial intelligence company specializing in big data analysis of scientific and technical literature. The company is headquartered in Toronto, Ontario, Canada and operates Meta Science, a scientific knowledge network powered by artificial intelligence.
Meta Inc., formerly Sciencescape Inc., was founded in 2010 by Sam and Amy Molyneux. Before co-founding Meta, Sam Molyneux studied cancer genomics at the Ontario Cancer Institute at Princess Margaret Hospital in Toronto. The service was developed with the intention of curating the millions of articles in the area of academic publishing.
As of September 2016, Meta has analyzed over 26 million papers and profiled 14 million researchers. The company has struck deals with publishers in science, technology and mathematics fields, which give the company access to full-text versions of more than 18,000 journals. Using machine reading and natural language processing, Meta scans articles - as well as the millions of articles stored in open-access repositories - collecting information about authors, citations and topics. The participating publishers receive exposure for their journals in return. The American Medical Association, BioMed Central, Elsevier, Karger, Sage Publishing, Taylor & Francis, and Wolters Kluwer, and the Royal Society, are among their full text–mining partners.
Features and specifications
Meta includes coverage of the biomedical sciences with real-time updates from PubMed and other sources. The website provides access to over 22 million papers with publication dates as early as the 1800s. By sifting through papers and learning from user behavior, the service pinpoints key pieces of research and provides relevant search results. Meta also provides visualizations about a field of research by organizing papers by their date of publication and citation count and then presenting the information in such a way that allows users to quickly identify key historical papers.
The Meta Science research platform uses intelligent algorithms that allow users to sort new publications according to subject matter. Users can subscribe to feeds for areas of research including biology, genes, diseases, genetic disorders, drugs, people, labs & institutes, and journals.
- Darrell Etherington (June 16, 2013), Sciencescape Wants To Solve Academic Research Discoverability, Deal With The Noise Problem, TechCrunch, retrieved January 12, 2014
- Sciencescape aims to sift through snowballing science research, Wired.co.uk, retrieved January 12, 2014
- Candice So (June 13, 2013), Sciencescape cataloguing research papers everywhere, one essay at a time, itbusiness.ca, retrieved January 12, 2014
- The Data Visualizers, MaRS Commons Magazine, retrieved January 12, 2014
- "Meta Launches Universal Machine Intelligence Platform to Unite the Fragmented Scientific Information Ecosystem". MarketWatch. Retrieved 2015-11-19.
- Mashoka Maimona (June 13, 2013), Tech companies make final pitches at Extreme Startups 2013 demo day, Financial Post, retrieved January 12, 2014
- Hazman Aziz (June 26, 2013), Sciencescape -- A new kid on the block, Hazman Labs, inc, retrieved January 12, 2014
- Vaibhav (June 18, 2013), Sciencescape in the Future of Scientific Research, TechnoGiants, retrieved January 12, 2014
- About Meta, Meta, September 13, 2016, retrieved September 13, 2016
- Carl Straumsheim (May 10, 2016), Predictive Analytics for Publishing, Inside Higher Ed, retrieved September 12, 2016
- Teri Tan (April 29, 2016), Digital Solutions in India 2016: Big Data and AI with Meta, Publishers Weekly, retrieved September 12, 2016
- Partners, Meta, September 12, 2016, retrieved September 12, 2016
- Under The Hood, Sciencescape.org, retrieved January 12, 2014
- Darrell Etherington (June 13, 2013), Extreme Startups Demo Day Wrap Up: Canadian Startups Make A Strong Showing, TechCrunch, retrieved January 12, 2014
- meta.com - Official Website - Focused on Marketing
- meta.science - Official Application - Focused on tools for Scientists