|Launched||23 October 1995|
timeshift 0.6% (October 2008, )
Watch It With The WorldLike to laugh? Love FOX8
|Formerly called||Fox (23 October 1995 – April 1997, until the "8" was added to the name)|
|Replaced||Oh! (Optus Vision)|
|Sister channel(s)||Foxtel Networks channels|
Channel 108 (SD/HD)|
Channel 153 (+2)
Channel 208 (HD)
Channel 108 (SD/HD)|
Channel 153 (+2)
Channel 1108 (SD)
Channel 108 |
Channel 153 (+2)
|Foxtel Play||Channel 108|
|Telstra T-Box||Channel 108|
Fox8 (corporately stylised as FOX8, alternatively as Fox 8 or FOX 8) is an Australian cable and satellite channel available on Foxtel, Austar and Optus Television's subscription platforms. It is the most watched subscription television channel in Australia (with or without the timeshift) and broadcasts the highest rating non-sporting related program or event on subscription television in Australia, Australia's Next Top Model. A high definition version of the channel, Fox8HD, was launched on the Foxtel and Austar platforms on 15 November 2009.
The channel runs many programs produced by Fox and in fact was originally called "Fox" before adding the "8" to the title. The channel was found on channel 8 on Foxtel analogue and Austar standard and channel 108 on Foxtel Digital and Austar Digital. Fox8 is Foxtel's most popular subscription channel and peak channel. It is also News Corporation's peak Australian channel (similar to Sky1 in the UK and FX in the USA). FOX8 is one of the very few channels to have been continuously broadcast since Foxtel's foundation in 1995. During the late 1990s, Fox8 used to show Saturday Night NRL matches.
FOX8+2 was introduced with the Foxtel and Austar Digital Services on Channel 150. This allows the viewing of the same programs on Fox8, but two hours later. One of the known advantages of this TimeShift Channel, is that Western Australian viewers can see this channel at the correct time in their state as advertised. FOX8 and Foxtel have a deal with Network Ten to receive their shows bought from the USA Fox network. Some shows like this include The Simpsons, Futurama, and The Simple Life. During the migration to the digital platform, Foxtel's Fox Kids (similar to the US version) channel was discontinued in 2004 and a selection of its programming was moved to FOX8 in the early mornings.
The channel was rebranded significantly at the start of 2006, matching the American Fox channel's logo with the addition of the 8 at the end. FOX8's overall graphics also changed in style. Shortly after the rebranding, the station received its first official website. The website was relaunched in October 2006 as a fuller visual experience showing extracts from the top shows.
During the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games, the channel screened a 17-day, multiple animated show marathon named "Battle of the Animations" involving Family Guy, American Dad!, The Simpsons, Futurama and King of the Hill. The event concluded on Sunday 24 August with a smaller marathon involving the winning show, as chosen by the viewing audience over the course of the 17 days. The winning show was Family Guy.
On 1 November 2008, as part of the launch of a new channel named 111 HITS, many shows from Fox8 and other channels moved to 111 Hits. 111 Hits is a hit shows channel including programs from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, and today.
On 15 November 2009, FOX8 HD launched on Austar and Foxtel.
On 16 March 2010, FOX8 launched a brand new website.
In May 2011, FOX8 underwent a major rebrand, incorporating a new look, with a new style of branding programs.
In October 2011, FOX8 was launched a Program Return Graphic during a Show.
In February 2013, Foxtel announced a deal with The Walt Disney Company which included an exclusive output deal with ABC Family. ABC Family produces some of FOX8's hit programs such as Bunheads, Switched at Birth and The Secret Life of the American Teenager, as well as The Fosters and Twisted which were to premiere later in 2013.
- Young & Hungry
- 2 Broke Girls
- About A Boy
- Baby Daddy
- Fresh Off the Boat
- Last Man Standing
- Modern Family
- New Girl
- The Carbonaro Effect
- Ghost Hunters
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show
- Chicago Fire (moved to SoHo in 2015, returning November 2016)
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (TBA)
- Gotham (TBA)
- Action Earth (2007)
- An Aussie Goes Barmy (2006)
- An Aussie Goes Bolly (Filmed and copyrighted in 2007) (Aired in 2008)
- An Aussie Goes Calypso (2008)
- Blood, Sweat and Gears (2008)
- CD Live (2006)
- Confidential (2007)
- Crown Australian Celebrity Poker Challenge (2006)
- Dangerous (2007)
- Dating in the Dark Australia (2010 - 2012)
- The Face Australia (2014)
- Football Superstar (2008 – 2010)
- Ra (2005 – present)
- Rove LA (2011 - 2012)
- The Phone
- The Stafford Brothers (2011)
- SLiDE (2011)
- Cricket Superstar (2012)
- 7th Heaven
- 8 Simple Rules
- According to Jim
- America's Most Wanted
- American Idol
- Angel (moved to SF)
- Angry Birds Toons
- Bates Motel (moved to SoHo)
- The Best Years
- Beyblade (repeats, originally Fox Kids)
- Blood Ties
- Bones (moved to SoHo)
- Braceface (repeats, originally Fox Kids)
- Breaking the Magician's Code: Magic's Biggest Secrets Finally Revealed
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer (moved to SF)
- The Carrie Diaries
- Celebrity Poker Showdown
- Clueless (repeats, originally Fox Kids)
- The Collector
- The Contender
- Crayon Shin-chan (repeats, originally Fox Kids)
- The Crazy Ones
- Criss Angel Mindfreak
- The Cut
- Dating in the Dark
- Dead Like Me
- Digimon (repeats, originally Fox Kids)
- The District
- Dog the Bounty Hunter (moved to A&E)
- Falling Skies
- Fear Factor
- Gadget & the Gadgetinis
- The Gates
- Gossip Girl
- Got to Dance
- Hannibal (moved to Showcase)
- Hart of Dixie
- The Hills
- The Hughleys
- Human Weapon
- Ice Road Truckers (moved to A&E)
- Impact Wrestling (moved to Fuel TV)
- The Incredible Hulk (repeats, originally Fox Kids)
- The Inside
- Jane By Design
- Jurassic Fight Club
- King of the Hill
- Kröd Mändoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire
- Kyle XY
- Legend of the Seeker
- Less Than Perfect
- Listen Up!
- Live to Dance
- The Lying Game
- Make It Or Break It
- Maximum Exposure
- The Mentalist (moved to TVH!TS)
- The Messengers
- The Mob Doctor
- Mutant X
- My Big Fat Obnoxious Boss
- My Wife and Kids
- NCIS: Los Angeles (moved to TVH!TS)
- New Zealand's Next Top Model
- On the Lot
- The Originals
- The Others
- Pineapple Dance Studios
- Point Pleasant
- Police Ten 7
- Power Rangers (moved to Nickelodeon)
- Prison Break (moved to FX)
- Relic Hunter
- Sailor Moon (repeats, originally Fox Kids)
- Scare Tactics
- The Secret Circle
- The Secret Life of the American Teenager
- Shin Chan (Vitello version)
- So Little Time (repeats, originally Fox Kids)
- South Beach
- Spider-Man: The Animated Series (repeats, originally Fox Kids)
- Spider-Man: The New Animated Series
- Still Standing
- Strip Search
- Sweet Valley High
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003 series, later moved to Cartoon Network)
- Temptation Island
- Terminator The Sarah Connor Chronicles
- Texas S.W.A.T.
- Third Watch
- Ultimate Gamer
- World Poker Tour
- World's Most Amazing Videos
- World's Wildest Police Videos
- The X-Files (Moved to SF)
- X-Men (repeats, originally Fox Kids)
- Yes, Dear
2000 - 2005
2005 - present
- "Ratings Week 40 (28/09/2008 - 04/10/2008)" (PDF). oztam.com.au.
- Joyce, James (26 March 1999). "Tunedin". Friday Guide. Newcastle Herald. p. 6. Retrieved 3 May 2010.
- "2008 VIEWING REPORTS". oztam.com.au.
- Knox, David (22 February 2013). "Disney Channel shifts to Foxtel Essentials TV Tonight". TV Tonight. Retrieved 22 February 2013.
- "FOX8 - Subscription and International Television - Forums". Media Spy. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- WWE Raw goes Live on FOX8
- WWE Smackdown Goes Live July 19th
- "Facebook Comment". Fox8. 13 August 2015. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- "Foxtel Announces New 'Binge' Channel". SoHoTV. 1 August 2016. Retrieved 18 September 2016.
- "Facebook Comment". FOX8. 15 September 2016. Retrieved 18 September 2016.
- "Returning: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.". TVTonight. 23 September 2015. Retrieved 23 September 2015.
- "FOX8 delays Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.". TVTonight. 8 October 2015. Retrieved 10 October 2015.
- "Facebook Comment". Fox8. 25 February 2015. Retrieved 26 February 2015.
- "Facebook Comment". Fox8. 15 May 2015. Retrieved 15 May 2015.
- "Facebook Comment". Fox8. 16 February 2016. Retrieved 21 February 2016.