Battle of Markada
|Battle of Markada|
|Part of inter-rebel conflict during the Syrian Civil War|
|al Nusra Front||Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant|
|Commanders and leaders|
Abu Mohammad al-Julani|
(Leader of the Al-Nusra Front)
Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi|
(leader of ISIS)
Omar al-Farouk al-Turki †
(top provincial ISIS commander)
|Casualties and losses|
The Battle of Markada was a military confrontation between two jihadist groups, al Qaeda's al-Nusra Front and the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), over the town of Markada in the Al-Hasakah Governorate, in March 2014 during the Syrian civil war. The strategic importance of the town to the ISIL lay in its position on the group's weapons supply route from Iraq, the road linking Al-Hasakah with Deir ez-Zor and a hill that dominates the surrounding area.
On the morning of 27 March, the ISIS attacked the town, which was being held by the Al-Nusra Front. The ISIS managed to force Nusra to withdraw to the town's hospital and the mountain overlooking Markada.
Before dawn on 29 March, clashes erupted in the town as the ISIS attacked the hospital and Nusra positions in the mountain. After heavy fighting that left 43 Nusra and 13 ISIS fighters dead, the ISIS took full control of the town, with Nusra forces retreating towards the town of al-Sour in the eastern rural area of Deir ez-Zor province. Many Nusra fighters were also captured. Among those killed was also the top provincial ISIS commander, Omar al-Farouk al-Turki.
- "ISIS seizes town from Nusra in Hassakeh province". The Daily Star Newspaper - Lebanon. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Syrian army retakes key post in regime bastion Latakia". Your Middle East. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "At least 52 dead fighters from the front and the victory of the Islamic State". Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Syria killed 30 Islamic state in Iraq and the Levant Brive-Hasakah". Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Organization "Daash" controlled Mrkdh, and mourns his military commander in the Al-Hasakah". كلنا شركاء في الوطن. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "A bomb explosion in Deir al-Zour and clashes in Al-Hasakah". Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "ISIS kills 35 fighters from Jabhat Al-Nusra and Islamic battalions". Retrieved 25 October 2014.