2016 Atmeh attack
|2016 Atmeh attack|
|Part of the Syrian Civil War|
|Target||Free Syrian Army|
|Perpetrator||Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant|
On 15 August 2016, a suicide bombing that targeted a packed Syrian rebel junction at the Atmeh border crossing, killed 40 Syrian Rebels, several civilians, and reports of 2 wounded Turkish soldiers. The attack was claimed by Islamic State, that stated it targeted Syrian rebel fighters from Faylaq al-Sham and Harakat Nour al-Din al-Zenki. Around 32 dead fighters were from the Nour al-Din al-Zenki group.
A bus transporting a large amount of rebel fighters was completely destroyed in the targeted blast, that caused 40 deaths and 50 injuries. The Free Syrian Army rebel factions were preparing a mobilization from the Turkish border towards the Aleppo Front to either battle the Syrian Army or Islamic State.
- "IS claims deaths of 50 US-backed rebels in Syria suicide attack". Retrieved 16 August 2016.
- "Syria conflict: Bus blast kills rebels near Turkey border - BBC News". Retrieved 16 August 2016.
- Charkatli, Izat (14 August 2016). "Suicide bombing kills dozens of jihadists". Retrieved 16 August 2016.
- "Isis owns up to suicide attack on rival rebels". Retrieved 16 August 2016.
- "Islamic State says bus blast killed 50 fighters at Syria-Turkey crossing". Reuters. 15 August 2016. Retrieved 16 August 2016.