|Coordinates: 36°17′33″N 37°15′21″E / 36.292637°N 37.255899°E|
|District||Mount Simeon District|
|Population (2004 census)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
Kafr Saghir (Arabic: كفر صغير, Kurdish: Kefêr Sixîrê, also written Kafr as Saghir, Kafr Şaghīr, Kafr as Safir or literally Little Kafr) is a village in northern Syria, administratively part of the Mount Simeon District of the Aleppo Governorate, just northwest of Aleppo. Nearby localities include Ratyan, Bayanoun and Mayer to the north, Anadan, Huraytan to the west, Kafr Hamrah to the south and Shaykh Najjar to the east.
Syrian civil war
During 2013 Kafr Saghir received in influx of Kurds from nearby Tell Aran and Tal Hasel.
On 3 July 2014 during Operation Canopus Star, the Syrian military with help from Republican Guards and Hezbollah captured Kafr Saghir from opposition forces.
On 20 March 2016, ISIL killed more than 20 Kurdish and Arab civilians in the eastern Aleppo town of Kafr Saghir. By 22 March, however, the Syrian Army managed to repel the ISIL offensive and regain control over the villages.
Kafr Saghir Martyrs Brigade
The Kafr Saghir Martyrs Brigade (also known as Liwa Shuhada Kafr Saghir) formed around the time that ISIS were driven from Kafr Saghir and the nearby Aleppo Infantry School north-east of Aleppo. This was a combined operation between the Syrian Armed Forces (SAA) and the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF). Upon its formation, the brigade was described as 'a predominately Kurdish pro-government unit' and 'officially neutral force for local protection between (the Syrian) regime and the SDF' .
One month after formation, in alliance with the SAA's Republican Guard fighting under the banner of the Syrian National Resistance, the brigade took part in action against the Syrian Free Army (SFA) in the area of Azraq village close to Al-Bab.
- "Syrian Arab Republic - Population Statistics". Humanitarian Data Exchange. Retrieved 30 November 2016.
- "Kafr Şaghīr (populated place)". geoview.info. Retrieved 29 November 2016.
- Paraszczuk, Joanna; Lucas, Scott. "Syria, August 17: Assessing the Regime's Deadly Airstrikes". EA WorldView. Retrieved 1 December 2016.
- van Wilgenburg, Wladimir (15 August 2013). "Areas Under 'Threat' by ISIS/FSA Operationsin Aleppo Countryside". blogspot. Retrieved 1 December 2016.
- "Syrian troops advance in and around the country's largest city of Aleppo". US News & World Report. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- Leith Fadel (20 March 2016). "ISIS massacres over 20 civilians in east Aleppo: activists". Al-Masdar News. Retrieved 8 May 2016.
- Chris Tomson (22 March 2016). "Car explosion in Qamishli city amid ISIS retreat from Hasakah province". Al-Masdar News. Retrieved 26 April 2016.
- Tomson, Chris (29 November 2016). "Syrian Army captures first village from Turkish-backed rebels on the outskirts of al-Bab". Al-Masdar News. Al Masdar News. Retrieved 1 December 2016.
- Syrian Rebellion Observatory. "Media Tweets by Syrian Rebellion Obs (@Syria_Rebel_Obs)". Twitter. Retrieved 1 December 2016.
#SRO - EXCLUSIVE - Liwa Shuhada Kafr Saghir is officially neutral force for local protection between regime and #SDF near Sheikh Najjar