Location of Arima in Syria
|Coordinates: 36°28′26″N 37°43′09″E / 36.4739°N 37.7192°ECoordinates: 36°28′26″N 37°43′09″E / 36.4739°N 37.7192°E|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
Arima (Arabic: العريمة, Kurdish: Erîma), also spelled Orayma or Arimah, is a village located 20 kilometers (12 mi) northeast of the city of al-Bab in northern Syria. In the 2004 census, it had a population of 2,839. The town of Qabasin is also to the south-west, and closer than Al-Bab. Manbij city is to the north-east.
Syrian Civil War
During the Syrian Civil War, the village came under the control of, first the rebels in 2012, and then ISIL in 2014. During its Manbij offensive in the summer of 2016, Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) forces approached the village. In the morning of Monday 20 June 2016, ISIL fighters attacked the Syrian Democratic Forces that had besieged Manbij city, from the Arima village, the Manbij Military Council said. The clashes continued until the afternoon and were repelled by SDF forces. The Al-Shahba documentation centre said ISIL militants arrested 143, mostly Kurdish, civilians in the neighbourhood of the village on 20 June. On 22 June Arima came back in the hands of ISIS, but was retaken by the SDF on 3 October. According to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights as of November the town was under the control of Manbij Military Council.
- "2004 Census Data for Nahiya Arima" (in Arabic). Syrian Central Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 15 October 2015. Also available in English: UN OCHA. "2004 Census Data". Humanitarian Data Exchange. Retrieved 4 December 2015.
- "Civilians flee ISIS stronghold surrounded by US-backed forces (VIDEO)". RT. 21 June 2016.
- "Second ISIL counterattack fails to break siege on Manbij, June 21, 2016". aranews.net. 21 June 2016.
- "Manbij Military Council: 142 gang members have been killed". ANFNews. 21 June 2016.
- "Isis arrests 700 civilians north syria mostly kurds, June 21, 2016". aranews.net. 21 June 2016.
- "ISIS are starting to mass arrest and kill the Kurdish civilians in Northern Aleppo. This comes as the SDF approach these areas, June 20, 2016". mideast.liveuamap.com. 20 June 2016.
- "Liveuamap.com, June 22, 2016". mideast.liveuamap.com. 22 June 2016.
- Musa Keilani (8 October 2016). "Kurdish corridor". Jordan Times.
- "Violent clashes renewed in the countryside of Arima and "Euphrates Shield" forces advance at the expense of the "Islamic State"". Syrian Observatory For Human Rights. 25 November 2016. Retrieved 3 December 2016.