|Also known as||School Students|
Jill Setter (1991-1992)
|Theme music composer||Peter Lauer|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||52|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Original release||February 1, 1991 – 1993|
Welcome Freshmen is a television show that ran on Nickelodeon from 1991 to 1993 with reruns until 1996. The show took place at Hawthorne High School with a group of high school students and a bumbling vice principal. Game shows like Get the Picture and Nick Arcade had celebrity episodes starring some of the cast of Welcome Freshmen and Clarissa Explains It All.
Seasons 1 and 2
The earlier episodes of the series consisted of comedy sketches that loosely followed a theme. Some of the comedy routines involved a tortoise named Mortise teaching children about safety, a documentarian named Mr. History who talks about past generations of freshmen, the bumbling, freshmen-hating, vice principal Mr. Lippman imagining himself as a stand-up comedian telling really bad jokes that insult freshmen, and a student named Billy Cushman who, though his appearance was occasional, provided not only a good example of how not to behave, but also a good example of flatulence.
Each episode had two or three short skits about the gang's misadventures in high school.
- Home-Room Announcements-Mr. Lippman, the vice principal, doing the morning announcements (at the same time, imagining how he'd really like to say them).
- The Merv-U-Mentary-Merv's amateurish attempt at uncovering news and scandals at the high school.
- Mr. History-featuring the gang as high school students of a past time period.
- Mike Who-featuring close-ups of a sidelined high school basketball player driving the crowd wild with a single wave. Eventually cut after vice Principal Lippman said it was too distracting, resulting in a tense showdown between Lippman and Who.
In the later episodes, the sketch comedy format was abandoned and Welcome Freshmen became a standard situation comedy.
In the third season, the gang became sophomores, except Walter who flunked and was held behind. Merv and Tara left, and new characters came in: Manny and Erin (incoming freshmen) and Grant, a junior who was Erin's brother and soon became Alex's boyfriend.
- Jocelyn Steiner as Alex Moore
- Rick Galloway as Walter Patterson
- Chris Lobban as Kevin St. James
- Veronica Alicino as Miss Topaz
- Arian Waring Ash as Erin Kelly (1992–1993)
- Janis Benson as Miss Petruka
- Brock Bradley as Grant Kelly (1992–1993)
- Nicholas Caruso as Manny Barrington (1992–1993)
- David Rhoden as Merv (1991–1992)
- Jill Setter as Tara (1991–1992)
- Mike Speller as Mr. Elliott Lippman
- Nick Barnes as Billy Cushman
- Phil Card as Mr. History
- Tracy Frenkel as Coach Roach and Coach Rochelle
- Jay Martel as Mr. Royd
- Al Arasim as Al Patterson
- John Parker Searles as Mr. Macbroom
- Mark Sarto as Mortise, the Safety Tortoise
- Welcome Freshmen at the Internet Movie Database
- Welcome Freshmen at TV.com
- Jump The Shark - Welcome Freshmen