|Genre||Dating game show|
|Presented by||Chris Harrison|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||12|
|No. of episodes||137|
|Executive producer(s)||Elan Gale|
|Running time||40—86 minutes|
Warner Horizon Television
|Distributor||Warner Bros. Television Distribution|
January 8, 2003 – February 28, 2005|
May 19, 2008 – present
The Bachelor |
Bachelor in Paradise
Bachelor in Paradise: After Paradise
The Bachelorette is a spin-off from the American competitive reality dating game show The Bachelor. In its January 2003 debut on ABC, the first season featured Trista Rehn, the runner-up date from the first season of The Bachelor, offering the opportunity for Rehn to choose a husband among 25 bachelors. The 2004 season of The Bachelorette again took a runner-up from the previous season of The Bachelor. After last airing on February 28, 2005, the series returned to ABC during the spring of 2008, following an absence of three years.
All of the rules are adopted from its parent show, The Bachelor. The series revolves around a single bachelorette (deemed eligible), who is usually a reject from the previous Bachelor season, and a pool of romantic interests (typically 25; 30 in season 5), which could include a potential husband for the bachelorette. The format is the same as the parent show. Unlike The Bachelor, one of two male suitors proposes to the bachelorette for the final selection. The Bachelor does not, however, always propose at the end of the show. At the end of Juan Pablo's season, he decided to "choose" a girl to keep spending time with, but evidently was not ready for a proposal. A proposal at the end of the show is not always guaranteed. It is up to the bachelor/bachelorette to decide that.
Season 11 was the first season to feature a twist in casting. Since producers could not decide between The Bachelor Season 19 contenders Kaitlyn Bristowe and Britt Nilsson. The 25 men participating had to decide which bachelorette would make the best wife. In the end, more men voted for Kaitlyn and Britt was sent home on the first night.
Unlike The Bachelor, all eleven seasons of The Bachelorette have ended with a proposal whether or not the Bachelorette decided to accept or decline. Trista Rehn's marriage to Ryan Sutter, Ashley Hebert's marriage to JP Rosenbaum, and Desiree Hartsock's marriage to Chris Siegfried have been the only marriages to result. The weddings of the former two were broadcast on ABC.
Questions of authenticity
The Bachelorette season 4 winner, Jesse Csincsak, commented that contestants must follow producers' orders and that a storyline was fabricated in the editing room.
On March 15, 2010, The Bachelorette creator Mike Fleiss appeared on 20/20 to confess that he developed the show's contestants into characters that catered to his audience's tastes, and that they "need [their] fair share of villains every season." Fleiss has come under fire for admitting that The Bachelor has less to do with reality than it does making good television.
By season 7 of The Bachelorette, some believe that actors were being hired by ABC to play specific roles on the show. Some viewers were becoming tired of the show's scripted nature and speaking out. By season 8, there were numerous complaints when the entire cast of The Bachelorette overtly acted out the show's written script with the cast of The Muppets.
Much like the parent show, the first two seasons were filmed in a luxurious house in Los Angeles County, California, and "Villa De La Vina," in Agoura Hills, California for later seasons. Since the fifth season, the third and remaining episodes filmed around the world. Episodes have been filmed throughout the United States, Canada, Spain, Iceland, Turkey, Portugal, Thailand, China, Bermuda, England, Croatia, Czech Republic, Germany, France, Italy, Belgium and Ireland. The California estate was not used during some seasons including season 3 that was filmed in New York City; Charlotte, North Carolina for season 8, where Emily Maynard lived so that she could stay with her daughter Ricki during production. In addition to Villa De La Vina mansion, the contestants in season 4 lived in a bunkhouse close to the mansion.
|Season||Original run||Bachelorette||Occupation||Winner||Runner-up||Proposal||Relationship status|
|1||January 8–February 19, 2003||Trista Rehn||Physical therapist||Ryan Sutter||Charlie Maher||Yes||Rehn and Sutter were married on December 6, 2003 on national television. As of 2016, they are still together and have two children, Max and Blakesley.|
|2||January 14–February 26, 2004||Meredith Phillips||Makeup artist||Ian Mckee||Matthew Hickl||Yes||Phillips and McKee were engaged at the end of the show, but ended their relationship in February 2005.|
|3||January 10–March 21, 2005||Jennifer "Jen" Schefft||Publicist||Jerry Ferris||John Paul Merritt||Yes||Schefft originally rejected both Ferris and Merritt in the finale. During the first live final rose ceremony, Schefft chose Ferris, an art gallery director, over Meritt. Ferris proposed to Schefft, but she rejected his proposal, stating that the chemistry was not there. Schefft ultimately married Chicago public relations executive Joe Waterman in May 2009; they have two children, Mae Elizabeth and Charlotte Grace.|
|4||May 19–July 7, 2008||DeAnna Pappas||Real estate agent||Jesse Csincsak||Jason Mesnick||Yes||Pappas chose Csincsak and their wedding was set for May 9, 2009, but they broke up in November 2008. Pappas eventually made a surprise return in season 13 of The Bachelor. Csincsak is now married to The Bachelor season 13 contestant Ann Lueders. Pappas ultimately married high school teacher Stephen Stagliano in October 2011, whose brother, Michael, would become a contestant on the fifth season of The Bachelorette. The couple have two children, Addison and Austin.|
|5||May 18–July 28, 2009||Jillian Harris||Interior designer||Ed Swiderski||Kiptyn Locke||Yes||Harris, the first Canadian bachelorette, chose Ed Swiderski in the finale, but in July 2010, it was announced that Harris and Swiderski had broken up. Swiderski is now married to news reporter Natalie Bomke. Harris and longtime boyfriend Justin Pasutto welcomed their first child, Leo, on August 5, 2016.|
|6||May 24–August 2, 2010||Ali Fedotowsky||Advertising account manager||Roberto Martinez||Chris Lambton||Yes||Fedotowsky and Martinez got engaged in the season finale, but the couple broke up in November 2011. However, they remained friends. Fedotowsky is now engaged to Kevin Manno. They welcomed their first child, Molly Sullivan, on July 6, 2016.|
|7||May 23–August 1, 2011||Ashley Hebert||Dental student||J.P. Rosenbaum||Ben Flajnik||Yes||Hebert and Rosenbaum married on December 1, 2012, and their wedding aired as a TV special on December 16 of that year. The couple have two children - Fordham, born on September 30, 2014, and Essex, born on November 4, 2016.|
|8||May 14–July 23, 2012||Emily Maynard||Children's hospital event planner||Jef Holm||Arie Luyendyk Jr.||Yes||Maynard and Holm ended their relationship in October 2012. In June 2014, Maynard married Tyler Johnson, whom she met at church. The couple have two sons, Jennings Tyler and Gibson Kyle.|
|9||May 27–August 5, 2013||Desiree Hartsock||Bridal stylist||Chris Siegfried||Drew Kenney||Yes||Hartsock and Siegfried were married on January 18, 2015 and currently live in Seattle, Washington. They welcomed their first child, Asher, on October 19, 2016.|
|10||May 19–July 28, 2014||Andi Dorfman||Assistant District Attorney||Josh Murray||Nick Viall||Yes||Murray proposed to Dorfman in the season finale. However, the two announced their breakup on January 8, 2015. Murray is now engaged to Bachelor season 20 contestant Amanda Stanton, whom he met on season 3 of Bachelor in Paradise.|
|11||May 18–July 27, 2015||Kaitlyn Bristowe||Dance Instructor||Shawn Booth||Yes||Bristowe and her fellow The Bachelor season 19 contestant Britt Nilsson were selected as candidates. In the second episode, the men chose Bristowe to be the Bachelorette. Bristowe picked Shawn Booth, and the two are still engaged as of December 2016.|
|12||May 23–August 1, 2016||Joelle "JoJo" Fletcher||Real Estate Developer||Jordan Rodgers||Robby Hayes||Yes||JoJo gave her final rose to Jordan Rodgers. The two are still engaged as of November 2016.|
|Sweden||Bachelorette Sverige||TV3||March 27, 2011|
|Slovenia||Sanjska ženska||POP TV||1st season: 2005 |
2nd season: 2006
|Romania||Burlăcița|| Cătălin Botezatu (Season 1)
Bogdan Vlădău (Season 2)
Radu Vălcan (Season 3)
|Antena 1||July 7, 2011|
|India||The Bachelorette India||Life OK|
|Germany||Die Bachelorette||RTL||November 24, 2004|
|Switzerland||Die Bachelorette||3+||April 27, 2015|
|Australia||The Bachelorette Australia||Osher Günsberg||Network Ten||September 23, 2015|
|Canada||The Bachelorette Canada||Noah Cappe||W Network||September 13, 2016|
|New Zealand||The Bachelorette New Zealand||TV3||TBA|
|Denmark||Drømmekvinden||TV Danmark||September 12, 2004|
- "ABC Confirms Bachelorette Return this Summer with Fourth Season". Reality TV World.
- "Surprise! New twist announced for next 'Bachelorette' season".
- McDow, Christine (Jun 28, 2011). "Jesse Csincsak Talks About Ashley Hebert And Last Night's The Bachelorette". Reality TV Magazine. Retrieved July 10, 2012.
The viewers are seeing the PRODUCED side of her show and not so much the genuine stuff, and she looks silly because of it... A LOT TAKES PLACE IN THE EDITING ROOM!
- Dehnart, Andy (Mar 16, 2010). "Bachelors have sex with an average of three women, but Bob Guiney has the record with 5.5". Reality Blurred. Retrieved July 10, 2012.
We need our fair share of villains every season. And now we’re very careful in our casting…to develop characters that the audience is going to root for and root against
- "Today's TV Addict Top 5: Wildly Disturbing Quotes from THE BACHELOR creator/executive producer Mike Fleiss". Today’s TV Addict. Mar 18, 2010. Retrieved July 10, 2012.
"We are very careful in our casting to develop characters that the audience is going to root for and root against." Fleiss admits that his show has less to do with "reality" than it does making good television. Which is all fine and good… if a few moments later he hadn’t claimed that the whole premise was romance and the search for love.
- Angel, Ilana (May 24, 2011). "The Bachelorette is Back – More Addictive & Ridiculous Than Ever". The Jewish Journal. Retrieved July 16, 2012.
The only thing lamer than this show is the people who make it. They take it so seriously and think we do, but we don’t. It’s a scripted reality show, not real life. We watch with hope and no expectations, just as we lead our lives, the difference is we are decent and they are not.
- Taylor, T (May 21, 2012). "The Bachelorette Recap: Rainbow Connections". The Hollywood Gossip. Retrieved July 16, 2012.
The Bachelorette is back in full swing, and with it, all the scripted drama, misleading promos and man tears we've come to expect over the years... This Muppets thing is weird. Beyond weird. Emily asks Kermit to help zip her dress and the Miss Piggy throws a tantrum. Mr. Hostman has a conversation with one half of the cranky old man duo. They're all pretending the Muppets are real people. Really, producers? REALLY?... Miss Piggy has Joe write a poem on the spot. Charlie starts sweating bullets. Jef has to propose to Miss Piggy.
- "Turning the Tables Jenn Schefft, Andrew's Ex, Gives Love Another Try as TV's Newest Bachelorette". People. August 23, 2004. Retrieved March 15, 2012.
- "'Bachelorette' will tape in Charlotte". The Charlotte Observer. January 19, 2012. Retrieved January 25, 2012.
- "'The Bachelorette' filming in North Carolina?". ksdk.com. 2012-03-13. Retrieved 2013-08-03.
- "Over 30 million viewers tuned in to 'The Bachelorette' series finale". Reality TV World. February 20, 2003. Retrieved March 3, 2010.
- "'The Bachelorette' couple Trista and Ryan Sutter welcome first child". Reality TV World. July 28, 2007. Retrieved March 3, 2010.
- Apr 3, 09 at 6:20 pm (October 14, 2008). "Ryan and Trista Sutter Welcome Blakesley Grace – Celebrity Baby Blog – People.com". Celebrity-babies.com. Retrieved March 3, 2010.
- "'Bachelorette' Meredith Phillips chooses vagabond Ian McKee in ABC series finale". Reality TV World. February 26, 2004. Retrieved March 3, 2010.
- "'Bachelorette' couple Meredith Phillips and Ian McKee announce breakup". Reality TV World. Retrieved March 3, 2010.
- Last names per "Ex-'Bachelor' Andrew Firestone dishes on Jen Schefft, July wedding" by Christopher Rocchio, June 16, 2008
- "ABC's 'Bachelorette 3' ends with Jen Schefft rejecting both John Paul Merritt and selected suitor Jerry Ferris". Reality TV World. Retrieved March 3, 2010.
- "Jen Schefft Pregnant – Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart Baby Talk". National Ledger. May 15, 2010. Retrieved May 19, 2010.
- "Jen Schefft Welcomes Daughter Mae Elizabeth". People. November 15, 2010. Retrieved November 15, 2010.
- "Jen Schefft Welcomes Daughter Charlotte Grace". People. August 9, 2012. Retrieved August 9, 2012.
- "Bachelorette's DeAnna Pappas Splits with Jesse Csincsak". People. November 3, 2008. Retrieved February 15, 2014.
- Wang, Cynthia; Gray, Mark (August 29, 2010). "Jesse Csincsak and Ann Lueders Wed in Las Vegas". People. Retrieved January 23, 2011.
- Byrne, Alla (October 22, 2011). "DeAnna Pappas Weds Stephen Stagliano". People.
- Webber, Stephanie (February 7, 2014). "DeAnna Pappas, Former Bachelorette, Welcomes Baby Girl With Husband Stephen Stagliano". Us Weekly. Retrieved February 16, 2014.
- "Stephen and DeAnna Pappas Stagliano Welcome Daughter Addison Marie".
- "DeAnna Pappas Stagliano Expecting Second Child – a Boy!".
- "Bachelorette Jillian Harris & Ed Swiderski SPLIT: Breakup For Reality Couple". Huffington Post. July 7, 2010. Retrieved December 23, 2013.
- Webber, Stephanie (July 25, 2015). "Bachelorette Alum Ed Swiderski Getting Married to Natalie Bomke Today". Us Weekly. Retrieved August 2, 2015.
- Monica Rizzo (November 21, 2011). "Ali Fedotowsky and Roberto Martinez split". Retrieved November 21, 2011.
- Catriona Wightman (December 10, 2012). "'Bachelorette' Ali Fedotowsky, Roberto Martinez "just good friends"". Retrieved December 17, 2012.
- Rachel Paula Abrahamson (July 7, 2016). "Ali Fedotowsky Gives Birth, Welcomes Baby Girl with Kevin Manno: First Photo!". Retrieved July 7, 2016.
- "'Bachelorette' star Ashley Hebert weds J.P. Rosenbaum". Entertainment Weekly. December 1, 2012. Retrieved December 2, 2012.
- ""Bachelorette" Ashley Hebert to air wedding on ABC". Cbsnews.com. 2012-10-15. Retrieved 2013-08-03.
- Beard, Lanford (2012-11-09). "'Bachelorette' Ashley Hebert's wedding will be televised". Insidetv.ew.com. Retrieved 2013-08-03.
- Malec, Brett (September 30, 2014). "Bachelorette Star Ashley Hebert Gives Birth to a Baby Boy! Find Out His Name". E!. Retrieved August 2, 2015.
- Nahas, Aili (November 4, 2016). "J.P. and Ashley Hebert Rosenbaum Welcome Daughter Essex Reese". Retrieved November 4, 2016.
- Aaron Parsley & Monica Rizzo (January 19, 2012). "Emily Maynard Is the Next Bachelorette". Retrieved January 19, 2012.
- Rizzo, Monica (October 16, 2012). "Bachelorette's Emily Maynard and Jef Holm End Engagement". People. Retrieved October 17, 2012.
- "Emily Maynard: 2014 Is Already the 'Best Year Ever!'". People. January 8, 2014. Retrieved January 27, 2014.
- "Emily Maynard Marries Tyler Johnson". People. June 7, 2014. Retrieved June 10, 2014.
- "It'll Be a Boy for Emily Maynard". People. May 12, 2015. Retrieved May 19, 2015.
- "Emily Maynard Gives Birth, Welcomes Baby Boy With Husband Tyler Johnson". Us Weekly. July 16, 2015. Retrieved July 18, 2015.
- "It's a Boy! Emily Maynard Johnson Names Son Gibson Kyle". People. September 17, 2016. Retrieved September 20, 2016.
- Jenna Mullins (February 27, 2013). "The Bachelorette: ABC Sets Premiere Date for New Season". Retrieved March 11, 2013.
- Oldenburg, Ann (March 11, 2013). "New 'Bachelorette,' 'Bachelor' TV wedding announced". USA Today. Retrieved March 15, 2013.
- Emily Strohm (January 19, 2015). "Desiree Hartsock Marries Chris Siegfried". Retrieved January 19, 2015.
- Kathy Campbell (October 20, 2016). "Bachelorette's Desiree Hartsock and Chris Siegfried Welcome Baby Boy: Pics, Details". Retrieved October 21, 2016.
- Maresca, Rachel (March 11, 2014). "Andi Dorfman named the next star of 'The Bachelorette'". New York Daily News. Retrieved March 12, 2014.
- Bricker, Tierney; Dos Santos, Kristin (February 25, 2014). "The Bachelor's Andi Dorfman Is the Frontrunner to Be the Next Bachelorette". E!. Retrieved February 28, 2014.
- Steiner, Amanda (January 8, 2015). "The Bachelorette's Andi Dorfman and Josh Murray Split". People. Retrieved January 8, 2015.
- Piester, Lauren (September 8, 2016). "Bachelor in Paradise Finale Recap: Engagements Galore!". E News. Retrieved November 19, 2016.
- Oldenburg, Ann (March 9, 2015). "Surprise! New twist announced for next 'Bachelorette' season". USA Today. Retrieved March 10, 2015.
- Vantemere, Elizabeth (March 10, 2015). "'The Bachelorette' twist: Both Britt Nilsson, Kaitlyn Bristowe to find love on ABC show.". New York Daily News. Retrieved March 10, 2015.
- Freeman, Molly (March 14, 2016). "When Will JoJo's 'Bachelorette' Season Premiere? There's Already A Lot To Look Forward To". Bustle. Retrieved March 14, 2016.
- Wagmeister, Elizabeth (March 14, 2016). "'The Bachelorette' Season 12: JoJo Fletcher Confirmed as ABC's Next Leading Lady". Variety. Retrieved March 14, 2016.
- "Frida söker kärleken i Bachelorette Sverige".
- "Burlacita". Burlacita.a1.ro. Retrieved 2013-08-03.
- "Die Bachelorette". Retrieved 2015-04-23.
- Alasdair (April 28, 2015). "'THE BACHELORETTE AUSTRALIA' IS A REAL THING THAT'S ACTUALLY HAPPENING". Pedestrian. Retrieved September 7, 2015.
- Knox, David (September 7, 2015). "Airdate: The Bachelorette". TV Tonight. Retrieved September 7, 2015.
- "The Bachelorette Canada". Retrieved 2016-01-15.
- "The Bachelorette New Zealand". Retrieved 2016-01-15.
- "Drømmekvinden". Retrieved 2016-01-15.
- "Drømmekvinden". Retrieved 2016-10-14.