Archaeological map of distribution of the Celtic
c. 800–400 BCE.
19th century illustration of Hallstatt swords.
In archaeology a type site (also known as a type-site or typesite) is a site that is considered the model of a particular archaeological culture. For example, the type site of the Pre-Pottery Neolithic A culture is Jericho, in the West Bank. A type site is also often the eponym (the site after which the culture is named). For example, the type site of the pre-Celtic/Celtic Bronze Age Hallstatt culture is the lakeside village of Hallstatt, Austria.
In geology the term is used similarly for a site considered to be typical of a particular rock formation etc.
A type site contains artifacts, in an assemblage, that are typical of that culture. Type sites are often the first or foundational site discovered about the culture they represent. The use of this term is therefore similar to that of the specimen type in biology (see biological types) or locus typicus (type locality) in geology.
Notable type sites
- a river terrace of the River Somme (Abbeville, France), of the Abbevillian culture
- Aurignac (Haute Garonne, France), of the Aurignacian culture
- Hallstatt (Salzkammergut, Austria), of the Hallstatt culture
- La Tène, Neuchâtel, Switzerland, of the La Tène culture
- Vinča, Belgrade, Serbia, of the Vinča culture
- Abri de la Madeleine (Dordogne, France), of the Magdalenian culture
- Le Moustier (Dordogne, France), of the Mousterian culture
- Saint Acheul (near Amiens, France), of the Acheulean culture
- Butmir (near Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina), of the Butmir culture
- Tell Halaf, Syria, for the Halaf culture
- Tell Hassuna, Iraq, for the Hassuna culture
- Jemdet Nasr, Iraq, for the Jemdet Nasr period
- Tell al-`Ubaid, Iraq, for the Ubaid period
- Uruk, Iraq, for the Uruk period
- Banpo (Yangshao culture, Neolithic Yangshao culture, China)
- Liangzhu Town, near Hangzhou (Liangzhu culture, Neolithic, China)
- Songguk-ri (Middle Mumun culture, southern Korea)
- Suemura cluster of kilns--Kilns of Sue warew:ja:須恵器(Middle and Late Kofun period, Osaka, Japan)
- Sanage cluster of kilns—Kilns of Green Glazed Warew:ja:緑釉陶器 and Ash Glazed Warew:ja:灰釉陶器 (Nara and Heian period, Aichi Prefecture, Japan)
||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bronze Age.||
||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Iron Age.|
||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stone Age.|