United Nations Mission to Investigate Alleged Uses of Chemical Weapons in the Syrian Arab Republic
The United Nations Mission to Investigate Allegations of the Use of Chemical Weapons in the Syrian Arab Republic was a fact-finding mission to investigate possible use of chemical weapons in Syria. The mission was established by the U.N. Secretary-general Ban Ki-moon on 21 March 2013, to investigate the Khan al-Assal chemical attack that occurred on 19 March 2013. On 27 March 2013, the secretary-general appointed Åke Sellström to head the mission. The mission had an OPCW component headed by Scott Cairns and a WHO component headed by Maurizio Barbeschi.
On 16 September 2013, the mission published a report with focus on the Ghouta chemical attack that occurred on 21 August 2013. On 12 December 2013, the mission delivered its final report to the U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. The next day, Åke Sellström and his team, answered questions about the report on a press conference.
The mission investigated 7 of 16 alleged chemical attacks:
- 2012-10-17 Salquin (also spelled Salqin)
- 2012-12-23 Homs
- 2013-3-13 Darayya
- 2013-3-19 Khan al-Assal (also spelled Khan al-Asal)
|“||The investigation mission is to look into the [ Khan al-Assal incident ] brought to my attention by the Syrian Government.||”|
|— The United Nations secretary-general Ban Ki-moon on a media conference 21 March 2013.|
- 2013-3-19 Otaybah
- 2013-3-24 Adra
- 2013-4-12 to 4-14 Jobar
- 2013-4-13 Sheikh Maqsood
- 2013-4-25 Darayya
- 2013-4-29 Saraqeb (also spelled Saraqib)
- 2013-5-14 Qasr Abu Samrah
- 2013-5-23 Adra
- 2013-8-21 Ghouta
- 2013-8-22 Bahhariyeh (also spelled al-Bahariyah)
- 2013-8-24 Jobar
- 2013-8-25 Ashrafiah Sahnaya (also spelled Ashrafiyat Sahnaya)
Italic text indicates that the mission did not find sufficient or credible information to further investigate the alleged chemical attacks.
- Independent International Commission of Inquiry on the Syrian Arab Republic
- Use of chemical weapons in the Syrian civil war
- "United Nations Mission on Investigate Allegations of the Use of Chemical Weapons in the Syrian Arab Republic" (PDF). United Nations. 13 December 2013. Retrieved 6 February 2014.
- "UN chief announces independent probe into allegations of chemical attack in Syria". New York: UN. 21 March 2013. Retrieved 8 April 2014.
- "Secretary-General's Press Encounter on Syrian Government Request". New York: UN. 21 March 2013. Retrieved 6 May 2014.
- "Head of UN probe into chemical weapons use in Syria says preparatory work has begun". New York: UN News Centre. 27 March 2013. Retrieved 1 May 2014.
- "Report on the Alleged Use of Chemical Weapons in the Ghouta Area of Damascus on 21 August 2013" (PDF). United Nations. 16 September 2013. Retrieved 19 September 2013.
- "Ban Ki-moon on Dr. Åke Sellström's final report on alleged chemical weapons' incidents in Syria" (Press release). U.N. 12 September 2013.
- "UN Mission to Investigate Allegations of the Use of Chemical Weapons in the Syrian Arab Republic - Press Conference" (Press release). U.N. 13 September 2013.
- "Press Conference on Mission to Investigate Alleged Chemical Weapons Use in Syria" (Press release). U.N. 13 September 2013.