The Shopping Channel (New Zealand)
|The Shopping Channel|
The Shopping Channel logo
|Launched||1 October 2012|
|Owned by||Ogilvy New Zealand|
|Headquarters||Auckland, New Zealand|
|Website||The Shopping Channel (closed down)|
|DVB 64-QAM||1304 on band IV|
|DVB QPSK||1185 on 12295 MHz|
The Shopping Channel is a New Zealand 24/7 Infomercial channel which broadcasts on channel 18 on the MediaWorks (for Freeview terrestrial) and Sky satellite DVB transports. The company was founded in 2010 and went live on 1 October 2012.
The Shopping Channel is owned by entrepreneur Greg Partington and is headquartered in Auckland, New Zealand.
In April 2011, NZ government-owned national broadcaster Television New Zealand announced that it would be discontinuing its commercial-free 24-hour news and information channel TVNZ 7 from July 2012, which was utilising freeview digital channel 7 at that time. Greg Partington commenced negotiations with Television NZ to have The Shopping Channel broadcast on the same channel once TVNZ 7 had been closed down. However an agreement was not reached, and Partington subsequently took the concept to SKY TV.
The Shopping Channel broadcast wall-to-wall infomercial content from brand developers in the English language 24 hours a day, seven days a week. From the launch until late 2013 the format was similar to the advertorial channels TVSN, TV4ME and eXtra that are carried on the three Australian metropolitan commercial networks of which eight hours each day was live, with pre-recorded content constituting the remaining 16 hours. The channel showcased various products which viewers could purchase by an e-commerce website or by phone. The website and phone line were shut down late 2013. As with most home shopping cable channels, these products, such as jewellery and dresses, were mainly aimed at a female audience.
In September 2012, The Shopping Channel announced that Eva Longoria would be visiting New Zealand for the first time, appearing in person live on air during the launch week of the channel in October 2012. During her brief visit to New Zealand, Eva Longoria appeared at a media conference hosted by The Shopping Channel and subsequently appeared on air promoting her fragrance "EVA by Eva Longoria".
- Albert Mitton
- Aleysha Knowles
- Candy Lane
- Charlie Gautier
- Fiona McDonald
- Gaia Chinniah
- Louise Mills
- Luca Villari
- Lucy Gallaugher
- Mike Puru
- Monty Betham
- Peter Meikle
- Petra Rijnbeek
- Timothy Giles
- About Us The Shopping Channel
- THE SHOPPING CHANNEL LIMITED (3038503) New Zealand Companies Office
- Shopping channel launches on digital TV Radio New Zealand 2 October 2012
- The Shopping Channel: Greg Partington interview The New Zealand Herald 27 September 2012
- Home shopping channel confirmed The New Zealand Herald 27 September 2012
- Partington's Shopping Channel reaches for the Sky Stoppress 4 May 2012
- Easy does it for online buyers The New Zealand Herald 16 September 2012
- Shopping channel hopes for half a million Kiwi women The New Zealand Herald 20 July 2012
- Longoria to appear on NZ Shopping Channel MSN.co.nz 25 September 2012
- Eva Longoria in NZ talking Shopping Channel & Politics The New Zealand Herald 4 October 2012
- Eva Longoria gets a new TV role – promoting a shopping channel The Sun (UK) 4 October 2012