The Mouse and His Child (film)
|The Mouse and His Child|
Theatrical release poster
|Produced by||Walt deFaria|
Russell Hoban (novel)|
|Music by||Roger Kellaway|
The Mouse and His Child is a 1977 animated film based on the 1967 novel of the same name by Russell Hoban. In United States, the film is also known as The Extraordinary Adventures of the Mouse and His Child.
The mouse and his child are two parts of a single small wind-up toy, which must be wound by a key in the father's back. After being unpacked, they discover themselves in a toy shop where they befriend a toy elephant and toy seal. The child mouse proposes staying at the shop to form a family, which the other toys ridicule.
They accidentally fall out of a window and land in the trash. Once transported to the dump, they become enslaved by Manny the rat, who runs a casino and uses broken wind-up toys as his slave labor force. With the aid of a psychic frog, the mice escape and meet other animal characters on a quest of becoming free and independent self-winding toys.
They rediscover the elephant and seal, who are somewhat broken down. Together they manage to form a family and destroy the rat empire.
- Peter Ustinov as Manny
- Joan Gerber as the Elephant
- Sally Kellerman as the Seal
- Andy Devine as the Frog
- Frank Nelson as the Crow
- Regis Cordic as the Clock
- John Carradine as a Tramp
- Cloris Leachman as Euterpe
- Neville Brand as Iggy
- Bob Holt as Muskrat
- Robert Ridgely as Jack in the Box
- Iris Rainer as Starling / Paper People
- Alan Barzman as the Mouse
- Marcy Swenson as the Mouse Child
- Mel Leven as Ralphie
- Maitzi Morgan as Teller / Starling
- Cliff Osmond as Serpentina
- Charles Woolf as Bluejay / Paper People
- Cliff Norton as the Crow
The film was first released on RCA/Columbia Pictures Home Video On VHS and Beta in 1983, then re-released on VHS in 1985 in the United States. A DVD version has yet to be released in the United States, but it was released in DVD in Japan.
- The Mouse and His Child at the Internet Movie Database
- The Mouse and His Child at AllMovie
- The Mouse and His Child at Rotten Tomatoes