Coordinates: 1°17′57.5″N 103°50′51.5″E / 1.299306°N 103.847639°E
The Cathay is a mixed-use 17-storey cinema, shopping mall and apartment building located at Handy Road and Mount Sophia in the Museum Planning Area of Singapore. Owned and managed by Cathay Organisation, the building originally opened in 1939 as Cathay Building. In 2000, it closed for redevelopment and reopened as The Cathay in March 2006. The building incorporates elements of the old Cathay Building, including its facade which is conserved as a national monument.
The new Cathay Building was constructed behind the Art Deco
frontal facade of the old Cathay Building
, which is now gazetted as a national monument.
The Cathay Theatre in Singapore, 1945
The Cathay Building in Singapore, 1945
- Fiona Chan, "Cathay tenants get new round of rental rebates", The Straits Times, 20 October 2006