|Launched||1 September 2014|
Sony Pictures Networks|
Parent: (Sony Pictures)
|Picture format||576i SDTV,1080p HDTV|
|Slogan||Yeh Pal Hamara Hai|
Sony MAX 2
Sony Pal (stylized as: Sony पल) is a Hindi GEC that launched on 1 September 2014. It is aimed at women, with stories about women and family. The channel is owned by Multi Screen Media.
The channel was launched in 1 September 2014 with the concept of targeting women audiences with Juhi Chawla as the ambassador. The channel mostly aired women-centric shows dealing with their day-to-day lives. SET India and Sony SAB airs original content catering audiences of urban male and family audiences respectively. Sony Pal was launched to compete with mainstream Hindi GECs like Star Plus, ZEE TV, Colors whose core TG is women audience.
The channel had a slow start of the beginning of its launch. It had a low TVT (television viewership in thousands) of 11,000 as compared to other channels like Life OK, Star Plus, Zee TV and Colors TV. Colors TV was launched with 81,000 GVTs in 2008 which turned out to be a successful channel launch in the crowded Hindi GEC space. Due to this, the channel ceased its business operations on 13 February 2015, broadcasting re-runs of Sony TV and Sony SAB shows.
Free to Air Channel
The network stopped losses it was incurring in running Sony Pal by converting it into a free-to-air (FTA) service. It started re-runs of successful shows from SET India and Sony SAB like Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah, CID, Baalveer. As it was available on DD Freedish, the channel is garnering good ratings in 2016 such that it is competing with the likes of mainstream GECs like Star Plus, Zee TV, Colors, Sony SAB or the FTA channels like Star Utsav, Zee Anmol and Rishtey.
In week 11 of BARC ratings, it turned out to become India's No.1 FTA. There is a stiff competition in the FTA space but success of Sony Pal as an FTA is challenging decade old Star Utsav and ZEE Anmol. Today these FTAs are challenging mainstream channels in the Hindi GEC space.
- "Sony Pal to celebrate Indian woman's triumphant spirit". TellyTRP.in. 1 September 2014. Retrieved 5 September 2014.
- "MSM launches new Hindi GEC". Afaqs news bureau. afaqs. 8 August 2014. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "Juhi Chawla becomes face of SONY PAL". Times of India. 8 August 2014. Retrieved 2014-08-08.
- RM, Vijayakar (19 August 2014). "Sony Launches Women's Channel 'Sony Pal'". India West. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- Roshni, Olivera (11 August 2013). "TRPs gone, TVT is the new trend". The Times Group. The Times of India. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "GEC Watch: Slow Start for Sony Pal". afaqs news bureau. afaqs. 12 September 2014. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "Sony Pal to bring curtains down on existing shows". indiantelevision.com Team. indiantelevision.com. 28 January 2015. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- Disha, Shah (30 May 2015). "Sony Pal: Where original shows failed; old shows did the turnaround". indiantelevision.com. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "Sony Pal as a successful FTA". A Word to the World. 11 April 2016. Retrieved 12 April 2016.