|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
A make-up artist or makeup artist is an artist whose medium is the human body, applying makeup and prosthetics for theatrical, television, filmmaking, fashion, magazines and other similar productions including all aspects of the modeling industry. Awards given for this profession in the entertainment industry include the Academy Award for Best Makeup and Hairstyling and even several entertainment industry awards such as the Emmy Awards and the Golden Globes. In the United States as well as the other parts of the globe, professional licenses are required by agencies in order for them to hire the MUA. Bigger production companies have in-house makeup artists on their payroll although most MUA’s generally are freelance and their times remain flexible depending on the projects.The use of digital cameras may have made the use of bridal make up more popular.
- Fashion makeup
- Fashion makeup is used in magazine photography as well as on the fashion runway. Avant-garde makeup is also an applicable technique used for projects that require experimental themes. Fashion makeup is also commonly used in television and film ranging for the natural prime look to more sophisticated applications such as color balance.
- Theatrical makeup
- Stage makeup is used as a method in conjunction with stage lighting to highlight the actors' faces in order to make expressions visible to the audience from moderate distances. This often includes defining the eyes and lips as well as the highlights and lowlights of the facial bones.
- Special make-up effects (FX makeup)
- Main article: Prosthetic makeupThe use of special effects techniques enhancing physical features to exhibit as well as fantasy makeup. The use of prosthetics and plaster casting are also required for projects that entails non-human appearances. Accents such as theatrical blood and ooze are also techniques applicable to this type of makeup.
- The use of an airbrush which is a small air-operated device that sprays various media including alcohol and water-based makeup by a process of nebulization. The earliest record of this type of cosmetic application dates back to the 1925 film version of Ben-Hur, it has recently been re-popularized by the advent of HDTV and digital photography, where the camera focuses on higher depths of detail. Liquid foundations that are high in coverage but thin in consistency are applied with the airbrush for full coverage without a heavy build-up of product.
- Bridal makeup
- Bridal makeup is a new segment in a makeup artist's repertoire. From ethnic, to glamorous, to contemporary, makeup artists are now an important part of wedding planning in Asia, Europe, Africa and North America.
- High definition
- This is an art which involves the use of light reflectors and ingredients such as minerals to give the skin a flawless finish. This was developed due to the further development of high definition mediums and the cost implications of airbrush makeup.
Platform for make-up artists
In October 2014 MUA Connected launched a global platform where all types of technical makeup artists can gather and discuss the makeup artistry field, as well as finding and meeting clients online. Social media is now a huge platform for artists to show off their work and connect with other artists.
Makeup artists in Bollywood
In 1955 the Bollywood group Cine Costume Make-Up Artist & Hair Dressers' Association (CCMAA) created a rule that did not allow women to obtain memberships as makeup artists. However, in 2014 the Supreme Court of India ruled that this rule was in violation of the Indian constitutional guarantees granted under Article 14 (right to equality), 19(1)(g) (freedom to carry out any profession) and Article 21 (right to liberty). The judges of the Supreme Court of India stated that the ban on women makeup artist members had no "rationale nexus" to the cause sought to be achieved and was "unacceptable, impermissible and inconsistent" with the constitutional rights guaranteed to the citizens. The Court also found illegal the rule which mandated that for any artist, female or male, to work in the industry, they must have domicile status of five years in the state where they intend to work. In 2015 it was announced that Charu Khurana had become the first woman to be registered by the Cine Costume Make-Up Artist & Hair Dressers' Association.
In June 2014, the Cine Costume Make-Up Artist & Hair Dressers' Association (CCMAA) authorised an official protest on the movie set of Bang Bang! in protest of a foreign makeup artist, Daniel Bauer (make-up artist) working on the movie for its lead actress, Katrina Kaif. The CCMAA and 15 of its members protested on the movie set as Daniel Bauer was not registered with the Union, despite the Union banning foreign artists working in Bollywood. The issue was resolved with the CCMAA granting Daniel Bauer full membership
Notable make-up artists
- Kevyn Aucoin
- Rick Baker
- Way Bandy
- Bobbi Brown
- John Chambers
- Nina Flowers
- Joanne Gair
- Pat McGrath
- Ve Neill
- Dick Smith
- "82nd Academy Awards Oscar Nominees for Make-up". Makeup Mag. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- "Emmy Awards Nominations Announced". Makeup Mag. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- "61st Emmy for Makeup Nominees". Fox News Idaho. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- "67th Golden Globe Awards Tina Fey Make Up Break Down". pursebuzz. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- "Revisiting the 2009 Make-up Oscar Contenders". Makeup Mag. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- "Get paid to apply Makeup". Fab Job. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- "The art of make up". Erica Storm. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- "AIRBRUSH FOUNDATION MAKE-UP". Airbrush Body Art. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- "Top High Definition Makeup". Makeup.com. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- Elsworth, Catherine (2005-12-03). "Are they ready for a high-definition close-up?". Telegraph.co.uk. Telegraph Media Group Limited. Retrieved 2007-10-15.
- "MUA connected". makeup artist connected. Retrieved 2014-12-12.
- Samyabrata Ray Goswami (2014-11-11). "Women get makeup justice". Telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 2015-04-21.
- Amit Anand Choudhary (April 21, 2015). "Bollywood make-up artists' group inducts first woman after SC rap". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2015-04-21.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Make-up artists.|