Guardians of the Galaxy (TV series)
|Guardians of the Galaxy|
Promotional poster for Guardians of the Galaxy.
Guardians of the Galaxy|
by James Gunn & Nicole Perlman
Guardians of the Galaxy
by Dan Abnett
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||25 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||21-22 minutes|
|Distributor||Disney–ABC Domestic Television|
|Original network||Disney XD|
|Original release||August 1, 2015 – present|
Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H.
Marvel Super Hero Adventures: Frost Fight!
Guardians of the Galaxy is an American animated television series. It is based on the Marvel Comics superhero team of the same name. It is produced by Marvel Television and Marvel Animation. The series airs on Disney XD. It premiered on September 26, 2015 as a part of the Marvel Universe block.
While the series serves as a continuation of the first film's plot, the film's director James Gunn has stated that it is not a part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe nor connected to the feature film or its sequel.
The Guardians of the Galaxy team consists of Star-Lord, Gamora, Drax the Destroyer, Rocket Raccoon, and Groot. They have obtained an artifact called the Spartaxian CryptoCube that is tied to the Spartax race. Inside is a map leading to the Cosmic Seed. The Cosmic Seed is a powerful weapon that is capable of creating a new universe. The Guardians of the Galaxy must find and destroy the Cosmic Seed before it can wind up in the hands of Thanos, his minions Ronan the Accuser, Nebula, and Korath the Pursuer, the Ravagers led by Yondu, and anyone else who would abuse its power to threaten the entire universe.
- Will Friedle - Peter Quill / Star-Lord
- Trevor Devall - Rocket
- Vanessa Marshall - Gamora
- Kevin Michael Richardson - Groot
- David Sobolov - Drax the Destroyer
Marvel was rumored to be considering a new animated series with another Spider-Man show or a Guardians of the Galaxy show. The appearances of the Guardians of the Galaxy in Avengers Assemble and Ultimate Spider-Man were supposed to be test runs for their own show. Comicbookmovie.com indicated in January 2014 that the Guardians of the Galaxy series was selected for development.
On July 26, 2014, at San Diego Comic-Con, a week before the release of the Guardians of the Galaxy film, Marvel Animation announced the Guardians of the Galaxy animated TV series with a trailer featuring Rocket Raccoon and Star-Lord. With the success of the live action film, Marvel and Disney XD announced that they were moving forward with the animated series at New York Comic Con. They showed some test footage to the audience. It is intended to air in 2015 as a part of the Marvel Universe block on Disney XD.
Advanced previews of the show started airing on Disney XD on August 1, 2015. A full preview of the series aired on Disney XD on September 5, 2015. The official one-hour premiere aired on September 26, 2015.
Each episode is named after or a reference to a popular song from the 1960s, 1970s, or 1980s.
|1.||"Hooked On A Feeling"||Blue Swede||2:53|
|2.||"Rocky Mountain Way"||Joe Walsh||5:16|
|3.||"Don't Stop Me Now"||Queen||3:30|
|4.||"Drift Away"||Dobie Gray||3:57|
|5.||"So You Are A Star"||The Hudson Brothers||3:48|
|6.||"The Boys Are Back In Town"||Thin Lizzy||4:28|
|7.||"Walk Away"||James Gang||3:34|
|8.||"Funk #49"||James Gang||3:56|
|9.||"Shake Your Groove Thing"||Peaches & Herb||5:33|
|10.||"I Will Survive"||Gloria Gaynor||8:01|
|12.||"Joy To The World"||Three Dog Night||3:39|
Critical and fan reception for the series has been relatively positive. Nerdist gave the show a positive review stating "this was a pretty solid introduction to the Guardians of the Galaxy animated series". ToonZone said "the premiere was pretty good, but the episodes that followed have shown real promise". Screenrant wrote "Disney XD’s Guardians of the Galaxy delivers an exhilarating action-packed adventure." The Nerd Repository praised the series and stated "Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy is an absolute blast and probably the best thing Marvel Animation has done in a long while."
Conversely, IGN said "the show seems too concerned with adhering to the style, tone and look of the movie and not with leaving its own mark on the characters." The A.V. Club gave the premiere a "B-" ranking. They wrote that "Disney XD has a very specific demographic that they are aiming for, which leaves “Road to Knowhere/Knowhere to Run” somewhat clunky and awkward." The Solute stated "There is certainly potential for interesting stories to be told within Marvel’s cosmic realm, especially when told in the medium of animation, but Guardians Of The Galaxy is far from realizing that potential right now."
Guardians of the Galaxy aired on Disney XD in the United States and Disney Channel in Canada on September 5, 2015 as a preview. It officially debuted on September 26, 2015. The series premiered on Disney XD in the United Kingdom and Ireland on November 7, 2015. It also premiered on Disney XD in Australia and New Zealand on November 8, 2015.
- Ng, Philiana (October 10, 2014). "'Guardians of the Galaxy' Animated TV Series Coming in 2015". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on October 10, 2014. Retrieved October 10, 2014.
- Goldman, Eric (July 6, 2015). "Guardians of the Galaxy Animated Series Poster Reveal". IGN. Archived from the original on July 6, 2015. Retrieved July 6, 2015.
- Barnes, Brooks (October 10, 2014). "Disney Pins Hopes on 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Show". nytimes.com. Retrieved October 11, 2014.
- Lussier, Germain (December 9, 2014). "Interview: James Gunn Talks 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Blu-ray and Franchise Future". /Film. Archived from the original on December 10, 2014. Retrieved December 10, 2014.
- NYCC 2015: Disney XD Renews "Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy"
- Truitt, Brian (February 19, 2015). "Guardians of the Galaxy 'Assemble' again on TV". USA Today. Archived from the original on February 19, 2015. Retrieved February 18, 2015.
- Shaw-Williams, H. (January 3, 2014). "Rumor Patrol: 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Animated Series in Development at Marvel". ScreenRant. Retrieved June 2, 2015.
- Rivera, Joshua (July 26, 2014). "Marvel announces new 'Guardians of the Galaxy' animated series". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved October 11, 2014.
- Graser, Marc (October 10, 2014). "Marvel's 'Guardians of the Galaxy' TV Show Heads to Disney XD". Variety. Penske Business Media. Retrieved November 16, 2014.
- Koch, Dave (August 2, 2015). "Guardians of the Galaxy Release Imminent". Big Cartoon News. Retrieved August 2, 2015.
- Schedeen, Jesse (November 13, 2014). "Marvel Announces New Guardians of the Galaxy Comic". IGN. Ziff Davis. Retrieved November 14, 2014.
- Metcalf, Mitch (September 9, 2015). "SHOWBUZZDAILY's Top 100 Saturday Cable Ratings (& Network Update): 9.5.2015". SHOWBUZZDAILY. Retrieved September 9, 2015.
- Marnell, Blair. "Guardians of the Galaxy Animated Series Review: "Road to Knowhere"".
- B-A, Gervaise. "Review: "Guardians of the Galaxy" Animated Series - Let's Blow Stuff Up!".
- Griffin, David. "Guardians of the Galaxy Series Premiere Review: Hooked on a Feeling".
- Wilson, Kyle. "TV Review. 'Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy' - The Nerd Repository".
- Schedeen, Jesse. "Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: "Road to Knowhere" Review - IGN".
- Johnson, Kevin. "Guardians of the Galaxy "Road to Knowhere/Knowhere to Run"".
- Laman, Douglas. "Guardians of the Galaxy Series Première Review".
- "Get Ready Canada! Disney Channel Arrives on September 1!". Corus Entertainment. August 11, 2015.
- Ellwood, Greg (15 October 2015). "Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Disney XD". Entertainment Focus. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- DisneyXDAU (October 9, 2015). "#GuardiansoftheGalaxy will premiere 8 Nov in AUNZ on @Foxtel". Twitter. Retrieved October 18, 2015.
- Official website
- Guardians of the Galaxy at the Internet Movie Database
- Guardians of the Galaxy at the Big Cartoon DataBase