Deception (U.S. TV series)
|Also known as||
|Created by||Liz Heldens|
Ella Rae Peck
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||11 (list of episodes)|
|Distributor||NBCUniversal Television Distribution|
|Original release||January 7 – March 18, 2013|
When a famous socialite named Vivian Bowers is found dead in a motel room from what appears to be a drug overdose, her estranged best friend Detective Joanna Locasto is re-embraced by the wealthy Bowers family. In time, she begins to uncover the truth of what really happened to her friend and who was behind it.
Cast and characters
- Joanna Locasto (played by Meagan Good): A detective from the San Francisco Police Department and old friend of the Bowers family. She is working undercover with the FBI for Will to investigate Vivian's death. Joanna is asked to stay undercover by Haverstock who wants to get the evidence needed to put Robert away for Vivian's murder.
- Robert Bowers (played by Victor Garber): The founder and CEO of a pharmaceutical company and the father of Vivian, Edward, and Julian. Robert is revealed to have murdered Vivian, yet the motive behind this was not revealed.
- Sophia Bowers (played by Katherine LaNasa): Robert's second wife and former secretary. It is revealed that Robert only married Sophia because people believed that he got her pregnant when it was Vivian who was pregnant by Haverstock.
- Edward Bowers (played by Tate Donovan): Robert's older son by his first wife.
- Mia Bowers (played by Ella Rae Peck): Haverstock and Vivian's biological daughter who was raised as Robert and Sophia's daughter. Mia gives Haverstock bone marrow because she is the only one who can be his donor.
- Will Moreno (played by Laz Alonso): An FBI agent investigating Vivian Bowers' death and the Bowers family.
- Julian Bowers (played by Wes Brown): Robert's younger son by his first wife and Joanna's Boyfriend.
- Samantha Bowers (played by Marin Hinkle): Edward's estranged wife.
- Vivian Bowers (played by Bree Williamson): A socialite who is the daughter of Robert and his first wife and an old friend of Joanna Locasto. She is Mia's biological mother, but was raised as her sister. Her friendship with Joanna was strained due to Vivian's drug addiction. Vivian was found dead in a motel room following a supposed drug overdose. It turned out that Vivian was murdered by Robert.
- Tom Vanderfield (played by Geoffrey Cantor): The Bowers' family attorney.
- Dwight Haverstock (played by John Larroquette): A senator with a dark past and Mia's biological father. Haverstock asks Joanna to stay undercover because he wants the evidence needed to put Robert away for murder. Haverstock has said that he was in love with Vivian.
- Beverly Padget (played by S. Epatha Merkerson): Joanna’s mother.
- Kyle Farrell (played by David A. Gregory): Mia's boyfriend. Haverstock blackmailed Kyle into getting close to Mia so that he could convince her to save his life. Kyle grew to care for Mia and told her the truth before she gave Haverstock her bone marrow.
- Nichole Frishette (played by Anna Wood): Former journalist who is later killed (appeared in six episodes).
|Season||Episodes||Originally aired||DVD release dates|
|Series premiere||Season finale||Region 1||Region 2||Region 4|
|1||11||January 7, 2013||March 18, 2013||June 27, 2013||TBA||TBA|
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date|| U.S. viewers|
|1||"Pilot"||Peter Horton||Liz Heldens||January 7, 2013||5.66|
|When the wealthy socialite and drug addict Vivian Bowers was found dead of an overdose, no one was surprised. Only FBI agent Will Moreno was convinced that the death was a homicide and that someone in her family did it. He decided to get the help of Detective Joanna Locasto, who grew up in the Bowers' home and was Vivian's best friend, to help find out who killed her. When she attends the funeral, the family embraces her as she begins to uncover secrets about why Vivian was murdered. It also puts her right into the lion's den.|
|2||"Nothing's Free, Little Girl"||Jonas Pate||Liz Heldens||January 14, 2013||4.14|
|Joanna continues to look into Vivian's death as the Bowers family has some problems. Edward is suspected of killing Vivian and Robert knows of a threat to the family.|
|3||"A Drop of Blood and a Microscope"||Jonas Pate||Peter Elkoff||January 21, 2013||3.61|
|Joanna's cover causes her to spend more time with Samantha and Julian. Meanwhile, Edward is fired from his job and Mia makes some rash decisions with a new friend.|
|4||"One, Two,Three…One, Two, Three"||Dan Lerner||Alexandra Cunningham||January 28, 2013||3.73|
|Ever since Joanna saw Mia's photo with Julian's ring, she realized that Julian is hiding something about the night of Vivian's murder. Edward receives disturbing news while Robert and Sophia meet Mia's boyfriend.|
|5||"Why Wait"||Andrew Bernstein||Jordan Hawley||February 4, 2013||3.08|
|Mia's debutante ball is ruined and her life shattered when the truth about her biological mother is revealed. Julian tries to reconnect with a former flame who could help get the new cancer drug on the market.|
|6||"Don't Be a Dummy"||Michael Schultz||Kath Lingenfelter||February 11, 2013||3.23|
|After learning the truth about her biological mother, Mia runs away with her boyfriend. Meanwhile, Will investigates Edward's home.|
|7||"Tell Me"||Tate Donovan||Brent Fletcher||February 18, 2013||3.13|
|As Lyritrol gets closer to being on the shelves of Bowers Pharmaceutical, Edward makes a disturbing discovery about the drug. Joanna follows a lead. Senator Haverstock reveals his identity to Mia.|
|8||"Stay With Me"||Jonas Pate||Monica Macer||February 25, 2013||3.28|
|During a press conference, Edward makes a confession that impacts his family and their business. Mia is contacted by her biological father. Joanna must evade a hit man.|
|9||"Good Luck With Your Death"||Jonas Pate||Jessica Goldberg||March 4, 2013||3.35|
|Joanna's story of why she was at the family home and company makes Robert suspect her. Mia decides whether to help her biological father, Haverstock. Joanna begin investigating Julian's girlfriend as Sofia meets an old friend.At the end Joanna and Julian kiss.|
|10||"You're the Bad Guy"||Gloria Muzio||Kevin J. Hynes||March 11, 2013||3.28|
|Joanna finds tapes of Vivian's therapy sessions. Julian works with the FBI to get evidence against Audrey. Edward turns himself in for murder. A newly-released Wyatt confronts Sophia. Mia donates bone marrow to her biological father.|
|11||"I'll Start with the Hillbilly"||Jonas Pate||Liz Heldens & Peter Elkoff||March 18, 2013||3.41|
|Joanna discovers that Robert was behind Vivian's murder while Moreno suspects Sophia. Mia is kidnapped by Wyatt. Edward seeks revenge after his wife's death. Julian hears something about his mother's death, and later asks Joanna to move in with him. Haverstock wants to punish Robert for Vivian's death.|
- Andreeva, Nellie (October 29, 2012). "NBC's Midseason Drama 'Infamous' Now Called 'Deception'". Deadline.com. Retrieved November 5, 2012.
- PILOT SCOOP: DECEPTION
- Andreeva, Nellie (June 27, 2012). "Marin Hinkle Made Regular On New NBC Drama Series 'Infamous'". Deadline.com. Retrieved November 18, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara (October 30, 2012). "NBC Announces Mid-Season Schedule Including 'Community', 'Smash', 'Deception' & '1600 Penn' Premiere Dates". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 18, 2012.
- Andreeva, Nellie (May 8, 2013). "NBC's 'Deception' Cancelled". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 8, 2013.
- Ausiello, Michael (July 26, 2012). "Exclusive: Private Practice Alum Wes Brown Lands Infamous Gig at NBC". TVLine. Retrieved November 18, 2012.
- Jeffery, Morgan (September 28, 2012). "John Larroquette joins NBC drama 'Infamous'". Digital Spy. Retrieved December 18, 2012.
- Andreeva, Nellie (December 3, 2012). "S. Epatha Merkerson To Recur On 'Deception', Jere Burns On 'Bates Motel'". Deadline.com. Retrieved December 18, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara (January 8, 2013). "Monday Final Ratings: No Adjustments to 'The Biggest Loser', 'The Bachelor', 'Deception' or 'Castle'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 8, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (January 15, 2013). "Monday Final Ratings: 'How I Met Your Mother,' 'The Bachelor' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 19, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (January 22, 2013). "TV Ratings Monday (Update): 'The Following' Has Season's Second Highest Rated Drama Premiere, '2 Broke Girls', 'Hawaii Five-0' & 'How I Met Your Mother' Down, 'Castle' Up". TV by the numbers.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (January 29, 2013). "Monday Final Ratings: '90210' Adjusted Up; 'Deception' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 29, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (February 5, 2013). "Monday Final Ratings: 'The Biggest Loser', 'Bones', '2 Broke Girls', & 'Mike & Molly Adjusted Up; 'Deception' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 5, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (February 12, 2013). "Monday Final Ratings: '2 Broke Girls' & 'Mike & Molly' Adjusted Up; 'The Carrie Diaries' & 'Deception' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 12, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (February 20, 2013). "Monday Final Ratings: 'Bones', 'Rules of Engagement', '2 Broke Girls', 'The Following', 'Castle' & 'Mike and Molly' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (February 26, 2013). "Monday Final Ratings: 'The Biggest Loser', 'Rules of Engagement', '2 Broke Girls' & 'The Following' Adjusted Up; 'How I Met Your Mother' & 'The Carrie Diaries' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 26, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (March 5, 2013). "Monday Final Ratings the Bachelor Carrie Diaries Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 5, 2013.
- "(#110) "You're the Bad Guy"". The Futon Critic. Retrieved February 28, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (March 12, 2013). "Monday Final Ratings:'The Bachelor', 'The Biggest Loser', 'Rules of Engagement' & 'The Following' Adjusted Up; 'Deception' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 13, 2013.
- Official website
- Deception at the Internet Movie Database
- Deception at TV.com
- Deception on Facebook
- Deception on Twitter