Revolution Army (Syria)
الجيش الثورة |
Participant in the Syrian Civil War
|Active||4 December 2016 – present|
|Area of operations|
The Revolution Army is a Syrian rebel alliance affiliated with the Southern Front of the Free Syrian Army. It is composed of 4 FSA factions which mainly operated in the Daraa Governorate in southwestern Syria. One of its commanders stated that the group is a "temporary operations room" due to the separation between western and eastern Daraa, and that the "door is open" for other groups to join the alliance.
The Yarmouk Army (Arabic: الجيش اليرموك; transliteration: Jaysh al-Yarmouk), originally known as the Yarmouk Brigade, is a prominent FSA rebel group operating in the Quneitra and Daraa governorates. The group is one of the units that has received BGM-71 TOW missiles. It was led by the defected Syrian Army general Bashar al-Zoubi. It joined the Southern Front on 14 February 2014 and the Hawks of the South coalition on 27 December 2014.
Muhajireen and Ansar Brigade
The Emigrants and Helpers Brigade (Arabic: لواء المهاجرون والأنصار; transliteration: Liwa al-Muhajireen wal-Ansar) was one of the earliest FSA groups formed in the Daraa Governorate. The group is affiliated with the Supreme Military Council and has received TOW and HJ-8 anti-tank missiles. It is one of the members of the Daraa Military Council. The group is led by Captain Iyad Khaddour and Khalid Fathallah, the former of which became the overall commander of the Revolution Army.
Mu'tazz Billah Brigade
The Mu'tazz Billah Brigade (Arabic: لواء المعتز بالله; transliteration: Liwa al-Mu'tazz Billah), named after al-Mu'tazz, is a FSA group active in Daraa. It also received TOW missiles from the Military Operations Center based in Jordan. The group has clashed with the Islamic Muthanna Movement.
- Syria_Rebel_Obs (5 December 2016). "INFOGRAPHIC EXCLUSIVE - Creation of the most powerful FSA - Southern Front faction : Jaysh al-Thawra" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Four factions constitute a "revolution army alliance" in the countryside of Daraa". Enab Baladi. 4 December 2016.
- "Is the Islamic State Establishing Itself in Qalamoun?". Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. 22 December 2014. Retrieved 26 April 2015.
- "Syrian rebels seize Jordan crossing from govt control: rebel, security source". Reuters. 1 April 2015. Retrieved 2 April 2015.
- "THE MODERATE REBELS: A GROWING LIST OF VETTED GROUPS FIELDING BGM-71 TOW ANTI-TANK GUIDED MISSILES". Hasan Mustafas. 5 August 2015.
- Aron Lund (21 March 2014). "Does the "Southern Front" Exist?". Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. Retrieved 2 December 2014.
- العقيد "الدهني" تشكيل تحالف "صقور الجنوب" خطوة نحو توحيد فصائل حوران