World of Winx
|World of Winx|
|Genre||Fantasy, magical girl|
|Created by||Iginio Straffi|
|Directed by||Iginio Straffi|
|Opening theme||"Winx Club Sparkles of Light" performed by lead: Alessia Orlando and chorus: Elisa Aramonte|
|Ending theme||"The Wonderful World of Winx" performed by lead: Aleesia Orlando and chorus: Elisa Aramonte|
|Country of origin||Italy|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||13 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Joanne Lee|
|Running time||24 minutes|
|Original release||4 November 2016|
|Related shows||Winx Club|
World of Winx is an Italian animation television series and a spin-off to Winx Club. The series was created by Iginio Straffi.Ep. 5 Twenty-six episodes have been produced in two seasons, the first of which was premiered as a Netflix original series on 4 November 2016.
In this series, the Winx girls return to Gardenia, Bloom's home town, where they work as a group of talent scouts on a reality television program to find kids of various talents. Behind the scenes, they try to save them from being kidnapped by a Talent Thief while hiding their own identities as fairies as well as their own magic abilities. The Winx acquire a new magical girl transformation called Dreamix.
There are also some new characters:
- Ace (voiced by Jason Griffith)Ep. 1 credits – the host of Wow! He has grey hair with white streaks. He always strives to be positive and enthusiastic when he is on camera, but off-screen, he loses patience because the Winx regularly disappear from the show and evade his show's camera drones. He is especially annoyed by Bloom. When she accidentally knocks off his hairpiece in front of the camera, he is so enraged that he fires Bloom on the spot,Ep. 6 and replaces her with Lorelei.Ep. 7 He is later hypnotized by Smee to put the Winx in a dangerous situation with Smee's zombie pirates.Ep. 10
- Margot (voiced by Samara Naeymi)Ep. 1 credits – a judge on the Wow! show. She dislikes all of the presented acts and always votes against them. She has a dog named Puff who sits on her lap.
- Cliff (voiced by Billy Bob Thompson)Ep. 1 credits – a judge on the Wow! show. He tends to be optimistic and votes towards retaining the talent prospects for the finals.
- Queen (voiced by Brittany Pressley)Ep. 1 credits – a female spirit from the World of Dreams. She manipulates the shadow creatures to kidnap young people from Earth in order to steal their talents. She uses Annabelle's voice when she encounters Bloom and Jim, but later steals Bloom's powers to fight the other Winx. After she is defeated in the season 1 finale, it is revealed that she is Tinker Bell from the Peter Pan stories.Ep. 13
- Smee (voiced by Billy Bob Thompson)Ep. 1 credits – He first appears as an assistant to the Wow! show, but he uses his powers to hypnotize Ace, as well as control an army of zombie pirates.Ep. 10 At the end of season 1, it is revealed he is Mr. Smee from Peter Pan and that he has sided with Captain Hook once again.Ep. 13
- Jim (voiced by Marc Thompson)Ep. 1 credits – an elusive man with purple hair who the Winx try to chase down at the start of the series, suspected of being the talent thief. He has the ability to turn invisible.Ep. 1 In the first season, he escapes Annabelle's apartment but drops his pocket watch.Ep. 7-8 He later works with Bloom to try to rescue Annabelle. At the end of season 1, it is revealed he is Captain Hook from Peter Pan, and that he was made young by the Queen (Tinker Bell)'s magic. He intends to take over Neverland.Ep. 13
- Gomez (voiced by Wayne Grayson)Ep. 2 credits – An undercover police detective who works with Evans on the case of Annabelle's abduction. They spy on the Winx.Ep. 2, 7, 8 He likes to be casually friendly towards his partner, often thinking of their adventures like dating situations, but doesn't understand why Evans and women detectives in general are so serious.
- Evans (voiced by Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld)Ep. 2 credits – An undercover police detective who investigates the Winx for the abduction of Annabelle. She is fairly serious, and gets annoyed about Gomez's casual attitude and incompetence.Ep. 2, 7, 8
- Annabelle (voiced by Brittany Pressley)Ep. 12-13 – a waitress who is recruited as a talent prospect for the Wow! show. She has a beautiful singing voice.Ep. 1 Her abduction becomes the main storyline in the first season.
- Crocodile Man – a servant of the Queen who is an anthropomorophic crocodile. He first appears in the New York City episodes, Ep. 3-4 but later returns when the Queen summons him to go after Jim and the Winx. He is based on the crocodile in the Peter Pan stories.Ep. 12-13
- Lorelei – a blond-haired girl who joins the Winx on the Wow! show as a talent scout when Bloom is fired. She likes to be the center of attention. She and Stella do not get along.Ep. 7 Although she discovers that the Winx are fairies, she tries to tell Ace and the Wow! show but is laughed off and fired.ep. 10
- Shaman – a martial artist who works for the Queen to kidnap talent prospects. He uses a set of stones that give him special powers, including allowing him to disappear in a puff of smoke.Ep. 8-9
In September 2014, as part of its efforts to increase kids' programming, it was announced that Netflix had ordered from Rainbow Studios two seasons of World of Winx, each comprising 13 22-minute episodes. The premise of the show is that the "girls embark on an undercover journey all around the world looking for talented kids in art, sports, music and science." Netflix at the time already had a pact with Rainbow to show some of the seasons of Winx Club, its films, and other Rainbow shows such as PopPixie and Mia and Me.
Originally slated to premiere in early 2016, the series was delayed until later that year, eventually premiering in November as a Netflix original series. Rainbow promoted the show briefly at the Licensing Expo in Las Vegas in 2016, along with shows Regal Academy and Maggie & Bianca Fashion Friends. At the event, it was revealed that the storyline involved a Talent Thief that had been capturing children.
|No.||Title||Original release date|
|1||"The Talent Thief"||4 November 2016|
|The Winx chase down a guy who was seen in one of the latest kidnappings of a talent prospect, but the guy disappears. The Winx then participate in the reality television show Wow! in which they act as talent scouts hoping to audition the next great act. They discover a girl named Annabelle, who works at a cupcake shop and has a pleasant singing voice. To recruit her for the show, the Winx help her boss Louise with making and serving the cupcakes. Annabelle performs in front of the judges and the audience. Suddenly the power is cut, and Annabelle has gone missing.|
|2||"New Powers"||4 November 2016|
|Bloom has a dream where she finds Annabelle in a forest. When they are called by Wow! to find another talent, the Winx split into two groups: Bloom, Flora and Tecna pretend to be sick so they can search for Annabelle, while Stella and Aisha have Musa dress up as their upcoming talent for their Wow! episode. The Winx regroup at the club dressing room that showcased Annabelle, and discover one of her earrings. But a mysterious portal transports them to where Annabelle is and they find they have a new transformational power called Dreamix. Although they fight off some local monster spirits, Annabelle is unable to enter the portal back to Earth and is instead sent to another location.|
|3||"The Legend of the Crocodile Man"||4 November 2016|
|The Winx's next appearance on Wow! is interrupted by a report from New York City in which a crocodile monster (Crocodile Man) has been spotted near on a boat. Flora senses that a guy named Naoki is connected to this so the Winx girls head to Manhattan to find Naoki, who tries to escape from the girls but then finds himself being pursued by Crocodile Man. The Winx save Naoki and reveal to him that they are fairies.|
|4||"The Monster Under the City"||4 November 2016|
|The Winx have found a pocket watch that was dropped by Crocodile Man. They and Naoki try to capture Crocodile Man, but the latter proves to be very strong and elusive. The Winx discover that Crocodile Man is more interested in going after the watch than Naoki. Although Crocodile Man gets the watch and escapes through a portal, Tecna has placed a tracker inside that watch and they learn that Crococile Man has escaped into the world of dreams.|
|5||"Stylist Wanted"||4 November 2016|
|Bloom contacts Annabelle and learns that she had found a similar pocket watch dropped by a guy who had broken into her apartment and then escaped. The Winx head to Paris to recruit a fashion design student named Sophie. Sophie is reluctant to join and dislikes Stella's style, so Stella suggests they have a contest to see who has the better style. During the contest, Stella encourages Sophie to design the dress of her dreams. Sophie is invited to have the Winx model her new design at a show. Crocodile Man kidnaps Sophie. Although they defeat Crocodile Man and rescue Sophie, they discover she is acting differently and Bloom gets a vision that the real Sophie is trapped in the world of dreams.|
|6||"The Fashion Week"||4 November 2016|
|The Winx sneak into an exclusive fashion week party to look for the Sophie imposter. Bloom discovers the imposter is a shadow creature, but accidentally falls onto the party's cake, causing much embarrassment. The Winx return to the Paris fashion academy where they recruit office worker Nadine to try becoming a model. Nadine is invited by the fake Sophie to model, but the Winx confront Sophie and a bodyguard at the Eiffel Tower. As punishment for ditching the show, Ace has the Winx girls perform some activities that are not within their natural talents. Although Bloom surprises everyone with her singing, she accidentally knocks Ace's hairpiece off; Ace has had enough of Bloom's shenanigans and fires her.|
|7||"The Chef Contest"||4 November 2016|
|Ace sends a new girl named Lorelei to replace Bloom as a talent scout on the show. The Winx find their next talent prospect, an apprentice chef named Vincenzo who has been trying to make his own creations but refuses to listen to his boss Tony or anyone else for advice. The Winx pair up with each of the participants in the competition as their assistants, and eventually encourage and guide Tony to make the right kind of food that he has been dreaming of. Meanwhile, Bloom makes her way to Annabelle's apartment to try to find the watch, but notices Evans is tailing her so she hides from her. Evans eventually finds Bloom and brings her in for questioning.|
|8||"The Shaman"||4 November 2016|
|Detective Evans interrogates Bloom and reveals that she has the pocket watch that Bloom is looking for. Bloom tries to shake off Evans and Gomez with the help of Roxy and her dog Arthur, while the other Winx have to bring along Lorelei on the Winxmobile. Their next talent prospect is in Beijing: a kung-fu martial artist named Yu, but she has to face the Shaman in the finals. During the battle, Yu is kidnapped by the Shaman.|
|9||"Shattered Dreams"||4 November 2016|
|The Winx capture the Shaman, and learn that his master has been controlling the portals to kidnap the talent prospects. However, when Lorelei wants their attention, the Shaman escapes. The Winx head to London to find their next talent prospect: a girl named Madelyne who has been groomed to become a pianist but does not enjoy it. While some of the girls take care of Madelyne's family pugs, the others try to encourage her to follow her real dream. After some Sherlock Holmes-like searching, they find Madelyne in her treehouse and that her real desire is to play rock music on an electric guitar.|
|10||"Dangerous Waters"||4 November 2016|
|The Winx head to Santa Monica Pier on the direction of Lorelei's determination to lead the show. A new assistant (Smee) hypnotizes Ace into putting the girls in a parasurfing challenge race with a group of guys called the Sharks. Lorelei tries to follow but her boat breaks down and she is attacked by sharks (actually mind-controlled by Smee) To make things worse, the guy Sharks are actually zombie pirates. Meanwhile Bloom and Roxy track down Evans and Gomez when Jim snatches the pocket watch from them. Bloom and Roxy pursue Jim and recover the watch but it does not work.|
|11||"Shadows on the Snow"||4 November 2016|
|Jim offers Bloom and Roxy a chance to get the pocket watch repaired. Bloom accepts and goes with him to Switzerland to find the Watchmaker. Evans and Gomez follow them. Meanwhile the other Winx head there to scout a girl named Silke who is trying to win a snowboard jumping competition. But they discover Silke has no competition-level talent for snowboarding.|
|12||"The Watchmaker"||4 November 2016|
|The Watchmaker refuses to see Bloom and Jim and locks himself in his home. Bloom and Jim fight Smee's zombie pirates, but are captured and sent through the portal. The other Winx discover that Silke's real talent is repairing mechanical watches and that she is the niece of the Watchmaker. They meet Evans and Gomez and find the pocket watch. After Silke disables the security system, the Watchmaker says he cannot repair the watch as it is magical and runs counter-clockwise, but Silke is able to fix it.|
|13||"The Fall of the Queen"||4 November 2016|
|Bloom and Jim are brought to the Queen, who has masterminded the kidnappings of the kids and uses their talents for herself. The other Winx arrive but must navigate through the World of Dreams and battle the shadow creatures and the local plant life to get to the Queen, who is a formidable foe with her stolen powers. Jim frees Bloom, who regains her power and together with the other Winx they defeat the Queen. They free the talents and make it back to the Wow! finale. Later, Smee swears loyalty to Jim, who is revealed to be Captain Hook, and who intends on re-capturing Neverland.|
Ella Anders, a regular reviewer of magical girl-themed shows on BSC Kids, had low expectations on the series given that the more recent seasons of Winx Club were shells of their original, but said "So it was all that much stranger when I realized just how good World of Winx actually is". She liked that the series made the story meaningful. "Every moment counts, the story is a good one that is tightly woven together. The humour and heart shines. The girls are using their magic wisely and creatively." She especially liked that the Winx girls were "back to their old selves".
- ^ "Ep." is shortened form for episode and refers to an episode number in World of Winx.
- "Watch World of Winx Online - Netflix". Netflix. 2016. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- Andreeva, Nellie (26 September 2014). "'Winx Club' Spinoff Series Heads To Netflix - Deadline". Deadline. Retrieved 7 June 2016.
- "Netflix Orders 'Winx Club' Spinoff, as Streamer Keeps Up Kidvid Splurge". 25 September 2014. Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- Spangler, Todd (25 September 2014). "Netflix Orders 'Winx Club' Spinoff, as Streamer Keeps Up Kidvid Splurge". variety.com. Retrieved 13 November 2016.
- Luoma, Sarah (26 September 2014). "Netflix developing kids series Winx Club WOW: World Of Winx". Digital Spy. Retrieved 13 November 2016.
- Anders, Ella (8 November 2016). "Winx Club: World of Winx is Finally Here! - Review". BSC Kids. Retrieved 13 November 2016.
- "Rainbow Escorts 'Regal Academy,' 'World of Winx' to Licensing Expo". Animation Magazine. 7 June 2016. Retrieved 13 November 2016.