Waltz of the Toreadors (film)
|Waltz of the Toreadors|
Original US film poster
|Directed by||John Guillermin|
|Written by||Jean Anouilh (play)|
|Screenplay by||Wolf Mankowitz|
|Music by||Richard Addinsell|
|Edited by||Peter Taylor|
|Distributed by||Continental Distributing|
|12 April 1962 (World Premiere, London)|
Waltz of the Toreadors is a 1962 film directed by John Guillermin and based on the play of the same name by Jean Anouilh with the location changed from France to England. It stars Peter Sellers and Dany Robin. It was nominated for a BAFTA Award in 1963.
The film had its World Premiere on 12 April 1962 at the Odeon Leicester Square in London's West End.
This is the end of a glorious military career: General Leo Fitzjohn retires to his Sussex manor where he will write his memoirs. Unfortunately, his private life is a disaster: a confirmed womanizer, Leo has infuriated his wife Emily, now a shrewish and hypochondriac woman, all the more bitter as she still loves him. The General has two plain-looking daughters he dislikes and an attractive French mistress, Ghislaine, with whom he has had a platonic affair for seventeen years. When Ghislaine resurfaces, determined to complete her love with him and to get rid of Emily, Leo is at a loss what to do...
- Peter Sellers as General Leo Fitzjohn
- Dany Robin as Ghislaine
- Margaret Leighton as Emily Fitzjohn
- John Fraser as Lieutenant Robert Finch
- Cyril Cusack as Dr. Grogan
- Prunella Scales as Estella Fitzjohn
- Denise Coffey as Sidonia Fitzjohn
- Jean Anderson as Agnes
- Raymond Huntley as Ackroyd, Court President
- Cardew Robinson as Midgley the Undertaker
- John Glyn-Jones as Jenkins the Innkeeper
- John Le Mesurier as Reverend Grimsley
- Vanda Godsell as Mrs. Emma Bulstrode, Dress Shop Proprietor
- http://www.allrovi.com/movies/movie/waltz-of-the-toreadors-v53266. Retrieved July 9, 2011. Missing or empty
- "Waltz of the Toreadors (1962) : Awards". IMDb.com. Retrieved 2015-03-09.
- The Times, online archive 12 April 1962, page 2 (subscription required)
- "Money-Making Films Of 1962" The Times [London, England] 4 January 1963: 4. The Times Digital Archive. Web. 11 July 2012. (subscription required)