Ukrainian Sea Guard
|Ukrainian Sea Guard|
|Role||Coastal defense, maritime law enforcement|
|Part of||SBGS (2003–present)|
|State Border Guard Service of Ukraine||LTG Viktor Nazarenko|
Ukrainian Sea Guard (Ukrainian: Морська охорона, Mors’ka Okhorona; full name Морська охорона Державної прикордонної служби України, Sea Guard of the State Border Guard Service of Ukraine) is the coast guard service of Ukraine, subordinated to its Border Guard Service.
Sea Guard vessels bear the Морська охорона inscription on their boards.
Ukrainian Sea Guard is the local successor of the Soviet Border Troops Naval Units that have been similarly responsible for coast guard tasks. However, there were some interchanges in units, ships and personnel between Sea Guard and the Ukrainian Navy.
Service persons of the Sea Guard wear either the black uniform similar to Ukrainian Navy, but decorated with some green elements (traditional for border guard), or a common uniform of the Border Guard.
The Sea Guard operates four sea guard detachments: in Balaklava, Odessa, Izmail and Kerch; a sea guard cutters division in Mariupol; a special-purpose sea guard cutters division in Yalta; and a riverine Dnieper sea guard cutters division in Kiev. Sea guard administration is split between the Azov-Black seas regional administration in Simferopol and the Southern regional administration in Odessa.
Squads of Marine Security
- Kerch Squad of Marine Security (from the Cape of Mehanom across the strait of Kerch and the Sea of Azov to administrative border between Zaporizhia and Donetsk regions)
- Yalta Squad of Marine Security (special assignment)
- Sevastopol Squad of Marine Security (Main base in Balaklava)
- Odessa Squad of Marine Security (Southern regional administration)
Major vessels, list is incomplete.
|Warships (1 in service)|
|Pauk||Anti-submarine corvettes||BG-50 Hryhoriy Kuropyatnykov||Yaroslavl||1984|
|Fast attack crafts (11 in service)|
|Stenka||Patrol boat|| BG-30 Heroyi Kerchi |
BG-63 Pavlo Derzhavin
|BG-31 Bukovyna is possible lost to Russia|
|Muravey||Anti-submarine hydrofoil||BG-55 Halychyna||More||1994|
|Shmel||River gunboats|| BG-81 Lubny |
|Soviet Union|| 1972|
|Zhuk 1400M (Grif)||Patrol gunboat|| BG-100 508 |
|/ More|| ?|
|Zhuk 1400A (Gurzuf)||Patrol gunboat||BG-54 Kryvyi Rih||Batumi||1989||Possibly lost to Russia|
|Orlan||Patrol gunboat||BG-200 Balaklava||More||2012|||
|UMS 1000||Patrol cutters||7 boats||Kiev||2015||series of small patrol cutters developed by the UMS boats|
|Kalkan||Patrol cutters|| BG-305|
|Katran||Patrol cutter||BG-820||Soviet Union||1994||Possibly lost to Russia|
|Chaika||Patrol boats||BG-01 Krym||Almaz||1978|
|Auxiliary ships (1 in service)|
Decommissioned, sold, destroyed
|Battle ships (2)|
|Pauk||Anti-submarine corvettes|| BG-52 Hryhoriy Hnatenko |
|Both ships were ready to be decommissioned and were left in Balaklava after the Russian annexation of Crimea; their fate is unknown|
|Battle cutters (7)|
|Stenka||Patrol boats|| BG-56 Volyn |
|Zhuk 1400M (Grif)||Patrol cutters|| BG-119 |
|/ More|| ?|
|2014; BG119 and BG118 were destroyed near Mariupol by the Russian forces; BG116 was immobile since 2012|
|Zhuk 1400A (Gurzuf)||Patrol cutters||BG-53 Lviv||Batumi||1989||Lost to Russia|
|Auxiliary ships (1)|
|Grafenau||Command ship||BG-80 Dunai||Linz||1942||2011; transferred to Izmail Naval Lyceum|
From 2012 to 2014 there were, plans are to build 39 small guard ships of different classes, including 6 Korall-class and 8 Orlan-class ships. From 2015 onward, there are plans to build a multipurpose guard ship, with displacement around 1000 tons, which can carry one helicopter.
- ↑ (Ukrainian) Law of Ukraine about State Border Guard Service of Ukraine 03.04.2003 № 661-IV
- ↑ List of vessels (Ukrainian Sea Guard). Fleetphoto.ru
- ↑ Kryvyi Rih on fleetphoto.ru
- ↑ Krym at fleetphoto.ru
- ↑ Military Forum
- ↑ Lviv on fleetphoto.ru
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20160704233946/http://sovnavy-ww2.w.pw/minesweepers/typ_grafinau.htm
- ↑ Патрульный катер «Коралл». State Research and Design Shipbuilding Centre.
- ↑ "До 2020 года для Госпогранслужбы Украины планируется построить 39 катеров современных проектов". Flotprom.ru. 5 August 2011. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- (Ukrainian) Sea Guard page on the official site of Border Guard Service
- (English) Sea Guard of the State Border Service of Ukraine
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ukrainian Sea Guard.|