Two Tribes (company)
|Fate||Closed voluntarily after the release of Rive|
|Defunct||September 13, 2016|
|Parent||Two Tribes Publishing B.V.|
Two Tribes B.V. was a Dutch independent video game developer based in Amersfoort, Netherlands. Founded in 2001 by Martijn Reuvers and Collin van Ginkel, it develops both original games and games for franchises. As announced on 10 March 2016, the company will close in September 2016, after the release of Rive.
Two Tribes originally specialized in portable games and later developed games for consoles due to the popularity of the Wii and Xbox 360. Two Tribes has focused on developing games for Windows and Macintosh, including online distribution. The company started by porting its franchises, Toki Tori and RUSH, to Windows and Mac OS through Steam and the Mac App Store. The company has started to work with other developers to port their games to other platforms, such as Swords & Soldiers, by Ronimo Games to iOS and EDGE by Mobigame to Windows and Macintosh. Two Tribes has worked with major video game companies including Capcom, Nokia, Team17, and THQ.
In January 2014, Two Tribes B.V. filed for bankruptcy, mainly due to disappointing sales of Toki Tori 2. However, Two Tribes Publishing B.V., which owns and publishes all Two Tribes B.V. games and handles all contracts, remained unaffected. A new daughter company was formed to handle the development of future titles. One working title was RE:Wind, later announced as RIVE.
- Toki Tori
- 2001, Game Boy Color; published by Capcom
- 2003, mobile phone; published by Aim Productions
- 2008, WiiWare
- 2009, iOS
- 2010, Windows/Macintosh/Linux
- 2011, PlayStation 3/Android
- 2013, Wii U
- Three Tribes (cancelled, Game Boy Advance)
- Bonk's Return (2006, mobile phone; published by Hudson Entertainment)
- Monkeyball Minigolf (2006, mobile phone; published by Sega Mobile)
- Garfield: A Tail of Two Kitties (2006, Nintendo DS; published by The Game Factory)
- Golf Pro Contest 2 (2007, mobile phone; published by Blaze)
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty Krab (2007, mobile phone; published by THQ Wireless)
- Worms: Open Warfare 2 (2007, Nintendo DS; published by THQ)
- Rubik's Puzzle World (2008, Wii/Nintendo DS; published by The Game Factory)
- Rubik's Puzzle World: RUSH (2009, WiiWare)
- Frenzic (2010, DSiWare)
- Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs (2010, iOS)
- RUSH (2010, Windows; 2011, Macintosh/Linux; 2013, Wii U)
- Swap This! (2011, iOS)
- Swords & Soldiers (2011, iOS; 2014, Wii U)
- EDGE (2011, Windows/Macintosh/Linux/Android; 2013, Wii U/Nintendo 3DS)
- Toki Tori 2 (2013, Windows/Macintosh/Linux/Wii U; 2016, PlayStation 4)
- RIVE (2016, Windows/Macintosh/Linux/Wii U/PlayStation 4/Xbox One)
- ↑ "Two Tribes Corporate - Company Info". Two Tribes B.V. Retrieved 2007-12-24.
- ↑ "'Two Tribes Announces New Games And Is Looking To Hire New Staff' Press Release" (PDF). Two Tribes B.V. 2004-11-24. Retrieved 2007-12-27.
- ↑ "We're Rebooting! · Two Tribes". Retrieved 11 November 2015.
- ↑ "Nieuws • Two Tribes failliet, maar gaat door in afgeslankte vorm: "We zijn definitief klaar met Toki Tori"". Control (in Dutch). Retrieved 11 November 2015.