Plana at the National Hispanic Media Coalition's 16th Annual Impact Awards Gala
April 19, 1952|
|Spouse(s)||Ada Maris (c. 1988-present) (2 children)|
Tony Plana (born April 19, 1952) is a Cuban American actor and director. He is well known for playing Betty Suarez's father, Ignacio Suarez, on the ABC show Ugly Betty and also for voicing Manuel "Manny" Calavera in the video game Grim Fandango.
While he is known to a broad audience for his roles in feature films and television, Plana is also known for his skills in acting and directing for the stage. He has created and directed a number of productions of the works of Shakespeare for minority audiences and he has been active in both the Los Angeles, Washington, DC and New York City theater communities, including leading appearances on Broadway and at New York City's Public Theater. He originated the role of Rudy in the L.A. production of the Luis Valdez play Zoot Suit, going on to play Rudy in the film version as well.
Plana has acted, directed and written for television in series, mini-series, and specials such as Hill Street Blues, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Resurrection Boulevard, Commander in Chief, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, The West Wing, 24, Cagney & Lacey and many others.
Plana has acted in films such as An Officer and a Gentleman, Three Amigos!, Goal!, Lone Star, and others. He is known to PC gamers as the voice of Manny Calavera in the LucasArts 1998 adventure game Grim Fandango. In 2011, Plana guest starred in Desperate Housewives as Gabrielle Solis's abusive stepfather, Alejandro Perez. He also directed Witch's Lament, a Desperate Housewives episode in the show's eighth season. In 2011, he appeared in Body of Proof, in the episode "Helping Hand".
Plana is currently volunteering as a spokesperson for Comprehensive Immigration Reform. He was the Keynote speaker for the 2012 LULAC conference in Coronado Springs Convention Center in Lake Buena Vista, Florida.
- Satellite Awards for Best Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Miniseries, or Motion Picture Made for Television for his role as "Ignacio Suarez," Ugly Betty, on December 17, 2006.
- Screen Actors Guild Awards: Screen Actors Guild Award for Best Ensemble - Comedy Series for: Ugly Betty (2006).
- ALMA Awards: Outstanding Actor in a Television Series for: Resurrection Blvd. (2002)
- ALMA Awards: Outstanding Actor in a New Television Series for: Resurrection Blvd. (2001)
- Bravo Awards: Outstanding Actor in a Feature Film for: Lone Star (1996).
- Godzilla 1985 as Goro Maki
- Grim Fandango (1998)
- Hiroshima - Radio play based on the book by John Hersey, adapted by John Valentine (2003)
- IMDB biography at the Internet Movie Database. Retrieved August 10, 2007.
- Yahoo! Movies biography
- DC Culture Diary, http://dc-culture-diary.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/much-ado-about-nothing.html
- Reform Immigration Now clip with Tony Plana on YouTube
- 2012 LULAC Convention: Tony Plana, Actor introduces the March from Selma to Montgomery Video on YouTube
- The 11th Annual Satellite Awards. Last accessed January 9, 2007.
- IMDb, ibid.
- Tony Plana at the Internet Movie Database
- Tony Plana at the Internet Broadway Database
- Tony Plana on television
- East L.A. Classic Theatre