|July 17, 2015|
Tig is a 2015 documentary film starring Tig Notaro, which is directed by Kristina Goolsby and Ashley York with additional directing and writing by Jennifer Arnold. The film chronicles Notaro's trials dealing with being diagnosed with breast cancer and her attempts to become pregnant with her fiancée Stephanie Allynne.
The documentary premiered at Sundance to rave reviews. Notaro hoped the film would be an "inspiring and humorous example of moving forward and taking risks in life as it continues to swing in every possible direction."
Singer Sharon Van Etten wrote a song in homage to Tig called "Words" that is shown in the credits.
In regards to why she wanted to make the film, co-director Kristina Goolsby said, "I was beyond inspired by Tig and how she was navigating her life in the midst of total loss and devastation. Here was a person on the precipice of great change, and the possibility of capturing her journey as she put her life together after an unfathomable series of events, in real time, was a chance to tell a powerful story that could illuminate the courage, compassion, and extraordinary strength of Tig."
In 2012, Notaro was diagnosed with breast cancer before she decided to perform a set of new material at the L.A. comedy club Largo, a performance that made her a viral sensation. This documentary focuses on the year that followed that night. Notaro performs at clubs across the country while dealing with a new relationship with the actress Stephanie Allynne, trying to have a child, and coping with the passing of her mother.
- Zinoman, Jason (July 15, 2015). "Review: Netflix's Tig Notaro Documentary, 'Tig,' Recalls a Time of Uncomfortable Laughs". The New York Times.
- McGlynn, Katla (17 July 2015). "Tig Notaro on Her Documentary Tig, Loving 'the Darkness,' and Why She Wants to Be a Mother". Vulture. New York. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- Steiner, Amanda Michelle (June 29, 2015). "FIRST LOOK: Tig Notaro Battles – and Finds the Humor in – Breast Cancer in Netflix Documentary Tig". People.
- Kayeon, Ben (14 July 2015). "Listen to Sharon Van Etten's "Words", an ode to Tig Notaro". Consequence of Sound. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "Utopian Filmmakers Unite: Kristina Goolsby Takes Tig on the Road with Film Forward | Sundance Institute". www2.sundance.org. Retrieved 2016-11-30.