|Launched||December 5, 2011|
|Owned by||The St. John-Fisher Co.|
|Slogan||Web Worth Watching|
|Headquarters||Los Angeles, California, U.S.|
The SFN – The Online Network, also known as SFNTV, is an online television network created by online pioneers Stewart St. John and Todd Fisher with an emphasis on original web series and the soap opera genre. It launched with the SFN's own web soap California Heaven, and then added other independently produced web series from leading-edge creators in the web and television community.
Founded in 2011 by Stewart St. John and Todd Fisher, The SFN was launched with its own independently produced 100-episode web soap California Heaven. St. John-Fisher were previously part of the first online network American Cybercast in the late 90s. They were also the creators and producers of the first mobile, cross-convergent soap opera for Sprint – The Spot Wireless – that cross-platformed stories with its web counterpart, The Spot.com
The SFN: The Online Network, Business Model
The SFN showcases original web series created in-house and by select creators in the web community. St. John-Fisher have stated that The SFN is not a dumping ground for web content. They hand-pick each series that airs on the network. The SFN is in further talks with advertisers to sponsor shows and provide product placement. Lifestyle brand 69 Slam sponsored select episodes of The SFN's California Heaven during its first season run of 24 episodes. St. John-Fisher believe that keeping production costs low and working with advertisers to sponsor different series with uniquely designed campaigns tailored for each series is a solid business model for The SFN.
- Drama series River Ridge created by Tyler Ford and executive produced by Ford and Signy Coleman, officially announced its exclusive distribution on The SFN via daytime Emmy nominee Beth Ehlers on December 14, 2011. River Ridge was the first exclusive drama to air on The SFN in a designated time slot, Fridays, 6PM pacific. The series premiered on Friday, January 13, 2012.
- DeVanity web soap aired its second season on The SFN, premiering on January 12, 2012.
- The SFN's gothic web drama California Heaven returned for Season 2 in Summer 201, following the first season which comprised 24 episodes.
- Fumbling Thru The Pieces, a web dramedy, aired its first season. (Star Hillary B. Smith was nominated for an IAWTV Award on December 15 for her role in the series.)
- The Update is a daily news and interview series hosted by The SFN co-founder Todd Fisher featuring news and interviews with the stars of The SFN. The first season of The Update aired 6PM, Mondays.
- Ragged Isle, a web murder mystery series shot entirely on location in Maine, premiered February 1, 2012 on The SFN.
- Thurston, an award-winning western web-series created by Kathryn O'Sullivan and executive produced by O'Sullivan and Paul Awad, premiered its first season in May, 2012. It was relaunched in July 2012 with three additional episodes, bringing the first season total to 9 episodes.
- Gorgeous, a teen soap revolving around Pacific Palisades high school friends and their budding cosmetic empire was greenlit by The SFN on Thursday, March 2, 2012. The series, created by Stewart St. John and Todd Fisher, is scheduled to begin production soon.
- Reality series Project Poker, created by Stewart St. John and Todd Fisher, released its official trailer on Friday, June 8, 2012. The 9-episode docu-series made its debut Thursday, July 12.
- Fan Girl, an interview show featuring fan interviews on red carpets and events around L.A., premiered on The SFN June 5.
- The SFN Short Film Weekend Matinee premiered with Paul Awad's black and white short, Dracula's Mother, July 2012.
3rd Annual Indie Soap Awards
The SFN, in conjunction with We Love Soaps, executive produced the 3rd Annual Indie Soap Awards in New York City on Tuesday, February 21. Directed by Stewart St. John, the show opened with a live musical number "Online!" (composed by St. John) and performed by actress Collen Zenk from As the World Turns fame. The show was broadcast on Sunday, March 18 at 6pm pacific on The SFN. According to Google analytics, over 100,000 visitors flooded the site to access the show.