The Real O'Neals
|The Real O'Neals|
|Narrated by||Noah Galvin|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||19 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Distributor||Disney-ABC Domestic Television|
|Picture format||720p (16:9 HDTV)|
|Original release||March 2, 2016 – present|
The Real O'Neals is an American single-camera sitcom that debuted on March 2, 2016 on ABC. The series, based on an idea by Dan Savage (who also serves as executive producer), was picked up to series on May 7, 2015. The series was renewed for a second season on May 12, 2016, which premiered on Tuesday, October 11, 2016.
The series chronicles the lives of a close-knit, Irish-American Chicago Catholic family whose matriarch takes their reputation in the community very seriously. In the pilot episode, their perfect image is shattered when each family member has a secret revealed to the community: middle child Kenny is gay, oldest child Jimmy is anorexic, youngest child Shannon is running a money scam and might be atheist, and parents Eileen and Pat are no longer in love and wish to divorce. Subsequent episodes explore the new family dynamic as Pat and Eileen separate and everyone consolidates Kenny's sexuality with their faith. (The anorexia and scamming plot lines are quickly dropped.)
- Martha Plimpton as Eileen O'Neal, the Catholic matriarch
- Jay R. Ferguson as Pat O'Neal, a Chicago Police Department officer who is secretly contemplating divorce
- Noah Galvin as Kenneth "Kenny" Christopher Sebastian O'Neal, the 16-year-old middle child who reveals to his family that he's gay
- Matthew Shively as Jimmy O'Neal, the athletic 17-year-old oldest child who reveals to his family he is anorexic
- Bebe Wood as Shannon O'Neal, the 14-year-old youngest child who is questioning her faith
- Mary Hollis Inboden as Jodi O'Neal, Pat's ex-sister-in-law
- Hannah Marks as Mimi Waxberg, Kenny's ex-girlfriend.
- Sarayu Blue as Marcia Worthman
- Madison Iseman as Madison
- Kaylee Bryant as Lacey
- Jeremy Lawson as Jesus (Kenny's "shoulder angel")
- Matt Oberg as Vice Principal Clive Murray
- Ramona Young as Allison, Kenny's lesbian friend & the other member of the school's LGBT club
- Jimmy Kimmel as himself
- Garrett Clayton as Ricky
- Madison Pettis as Chloe Perrente
- Caroline Morahan as Malificent (Kenny's "shoulder devil")
- Frances Conroy as Grandma Agnes
- Phil LaMarr as Archie, Pat's partner
- Ian Gomez as Michael-Gregory
- Noah Crawford as Drew
- Scott Menville
- Tim Gunn as himself
- RuPaul Charles as himself
- Tyler Oakley as himself
- Lance Bass as himself
- Jane Lynch as herself
- Sean Grandillo as Brett
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||13||March 2, 2016||May 24, 2016|
|2||16||October 11, 2016||TBA|
Season 1 (2016)
Each episode title excluding "Pilot" begins with "The Real".
| No. in
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date|| Prod.
| U.S. viewers|
|1||1||"Pilot"||Todd Holland||Story by: Joshua Sternin & Jennifer Ventimilia|
Teleplay by: Casey Johnson & David Windsor and
Joshua Sternin & Jennifer Ventimilia
|March 2, 2016||101||6.33|
|Things in the O'Neal household take an unexpected turn when Kenny comes out to his family, and everyone stops pretending to be perfect.|
|2||2||"The Real Papaya"||Todd Holland||Casey Johnson & David Windsor||March 2, 2016||102||6.01|
|Following the "coming out" confessions made by everyone in the O'Neal family, Eileen is desperate to control the situation and tries to make Kenny "un-gay." Meanwhile, Kenny tries to find the right time to break up with his girlfriend and has a heart-to-heart with late-night host Jimmy Kimmel.|
|3||3||"The Real Lent"||Todd Holland||Scott King||March 8, 2016||106||3.99|
|Eileen reminds her family that it's Lent and asks them to give up things they really love. In a chance meeting, Kenny meets his first gay crush, and Pat discovers his little girl, Shannon, is all grown up.|
|4||4||"The Real F Word"||Christine Gernon||Stacy Traub||March 15, 2016||103||3.47|
|Kenny faces his first day at school after coming out.|
|5||5||"The Real Spring Fever"||Phil Traill||Kristin Newman||March 22, 2016||105||3.75|
|Eileen decides it's time to get a fresh start in her life by applying for her first job since her kids were born. Meanwhile, Pat realizes he might not be ready for the single life just yet, even though his patrol partner, Archie, thinks otherwise. And as Kenny wonders who he will date next, Jimmy takes it upon himself to help him explore the newfound world of online dating.|
|6||6||"The Real Man"||Elliot Hegarty||Adam Roberts||March 29, 2016||111||3.67|
|When Pat plans a camping trip to enjoy some father-and-son bonding time with Jimmy, Kenny joins them to prove that even though he's gay he can still be manly. Meanwhile, after Eileen discovers Shannon has been skipping her classes and refuses confirmation, she invites Father Phil over to help answer Shannon's challenging questions about Catholicism.|
|7||7||"The Real Grandma"||Silver Tree||Cheryl Holliday||April 5, 2016||108||3.65|
|When Eileen's strict, Catholic-abiding mother arrives unannounced at the O'Neals' home, Eileen has her family cover up both her and Pat's divorce and Kenny's sexuality, but Kenny tries to convince his mother to come out to Grandma Agnes.|
|8||8||"The Real Book Club"||Victor Nelli, Jr.||Sonny Lee||April 19, 2016||104||2.98|
|Eileen faces her book club for the first time since her family's issues have come to light. Kenny's first trip to the "gayborhood" coffee shop is everything he'd hoped for, until Pat tags along with him to a gay dodgeball match.|
|9||9||"The Real Wedding"||Rebecca Asher||Becky Mann & Audra Sielaf||April 26, 2016||109||3.46|
|Kenny auditions for the school play and Eileen volunteers to help out. Kenny receives the role of Romeo, but is dismayed to learn his ex-girlfriend Mimi is playing Juliet. Things get more awkward when Eileen treats the play's wedding scene like an actual wedding.|
|10||10||"The Real Retreat"||Todd Holland||Lewaa Nasserdeen||May 3, 2016||110||3.29|
|When Jimmy is named Faith Leader for the weekend at the Catholic Youth Retreat, a jealous Kenny takes on his older brother's role as ring leader of the bad kids. Home alone without the kids, Pat invites a new lady friend over, and Eileen enlists Jodi to spy on them.|
|11||11||"The Real Other Woman"||Rebecca Asher||Kevin Biegel||May 10, 2016||107||3.15|
|After Eileen pushes Kenny to get a job, she feels jealous when he starts to work as a tutor and bonds with the student's mom. Meanwhile, Pat wants to bond more with the kids but makes questionable choices in trying to become the fun parent.|
|12||12||"The Real Rules"||Eyal Gordin||Kristin Newman||May 17, 2016||112||3.25|
|After realizing Pat left his police badge at home, Jimmy convinces Kenny and Shannon that he should use the badge to pretend he's a police officer in order to get free perks around town. Meanwhile, when Pat tells Eileen about an upcoming date he's going on, she takes matters into her own hands when it comes to a potential suitor in her dating life.|
|13||13||"The Real Prom"||Todd Holland||Story by: Stacy Traub|
Teleplay by: Casey Johnson & David Windsor
|May 24, 2016||113||4.21|
|As the school prom approaches, Kenny and Jimmy try to come up with the perfect prom-posal for the classmates(who already have dates) they each have set their sights on. Shannon thinks prom is a scam and would rather stay at home, but once Pat discovers she was asked to attend, he tries to convince her to go.|
Season 2 (2016)
| No. in
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date|| Prod.
| U.S. viewers|
|14||1||"The Real Thang"||Todd Holland||Casey Johnson & David Windsor||October 11, 2016||201||3.76|
|For National Coming Out Day, Kenny starts an LGBT club at school; but the only other members are Jimmy and shy lesbian student Allison. Kenny stridently insists that Allison mark the day by coming out to her parents, but after learning that they are openly hostile to the LGBT community he reconsiders and tells her to come out when she's ready. Eileen has secretly been meeting Clive over the summer, but after she rejects him he befriends Pat. A jealous Eileen finally goes on a real date with Clive. Jodi is invited to represent a local clothing store in a fashion show; she backs out after learning that the store is for plus-size women, but Eileen convinces her to participate and "come out" as a woman who is proud of her body.|
|15||2||"The Real Dates"||Eyal Gordin||Kristin Newman||October 18, 2016||202||2.91|
|16||3||"The Real Halloween"||Silver Tree||Stacy Traub||October 25, 2016||203||3.22|
|17||4||"The Real Move"||Jaffar Mahmood||Becky Mann & Audra Sielaff||November 1, 2016||204||2.73|
|18||5||"The Real Tradition"||Rebecca Asher||Steve Joe||November 15, 2016||205||3.56|
|19||6||"The Real Fit"||Elliot Hegarty||Sam Laybourne||November 29, 2016||206||3.29|
|20||7||"The Real Match"||Todd Holland||Adam Roberts||December 6, 2016||207||TBD|
|21||8||"The Real Christmas"||Rebecca Asher||Rob Sudduth||December 13, 2016||208||TBD|
Season 1 (2016)
|No.||Title||Air date|| Rating/share
| DVR viewers
| Total viewers|
|1||"Pilot"||March 2, 2016||1.8/6||6.33||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA|
|2||"The Real Papaya"||March 2, 2016||1.9/6||6.01||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA|
|3||"The Real Lent"||March 8, 2016||1.1/4||3.99||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA|
|4||"The Real F Word"||March 15, 2016||1.0/4||3.47||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA|
|5||"The Real Spring Fever"||March 22, 2016||1.0/4||3.75||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA|
|6||"The Real Man"||March 29, 2016||1.0/4||3.67||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA|
|7||"The Real Grandma"||April 5, 2016||1.0/4||3.65||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA|
|8||"The Real Book Club"||April 19, 2016||0.8/3||2.98||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA|
|9||"The Real Wedding"||April 26, 2016||1.0/4||3.46||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA|
|10||"The Real Retreat"||May 3, 2016||0.9/3||3.29||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA|
|11||"The Real Other Woman"||May 10, 2016||0.9/3||3.15||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA|
|12||"The Real Rules"||May 17, 2016||0.9/3||3.25||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA|
|13||"The Real Prom"||May 24, 2016||1.1/4||4.21||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA|
Season 2 (2016)
|No.||Title||Air date|| Rating/share|
| DVR viewers|
| Total viewers|
|1||"The Real Thang"||October 11, 2016||1.2/4||3.76||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|2||"The Real Dates"||October 18, 2016||0.9/3||2.91||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|3||"The Real Halloween"||October 25, 2016||1.0/3||3.22||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|4||"The Real Move"||November 1, 2016||0.8/3||2.73||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|5||"The Real Tradition"||November 15, 2016||1.1/4||3.56||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|6||"The Real Fit"||November 29, 2016||1.0/3||3.29||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|7||"The Real Match"||December 6, 2016||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|8||"The Real Christmas"||December 13, 2016||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|Season||Time slot (ET/PT)||Episodes||Season premiere||Season finale||TV season||Rank|| Viewers|
|| Wednesday 8:30 pm (episode 1)
Wednesday 9:30 pm (episode 2)
Tuesday 8:30 pm (episodes 3-13)
|13||March 2, 2016||6.33||May 24, 2016||4.21||2015–16||#106||4.46|
||Tuesday 9:30 pm||16||October 11, 2016||3.76||TBA||TBA||2016–17||TBA||TBA|
The series received a generally favorable response from critics. On review aggregator site Metacritic, The Real O'Neals has a metascore of 62 out of 100 based on 22 critics signifying "generally favorable reviews". On another review aggregator site Rotten Tomatoes, the show has a 67% approval rating, based on 27 reviews, with an average rating of 6.4/10. The site's critical consensus: "Funny writing and a solid cast save The Real O'Neals from traditional sitcom perils."
The news of the series' pick-up attracted attention and controversy before its debut. On the day it was announced that the series was added to the ABC network schedule (May 12, 2015), Christian right and anti-gay groups such as the American Family Association and the Family Research Council have called for a boycott and petition to prevent the series from airing. They also cite Savage's views on religion, sexuality, and same-sex marriage, which they believe was infused into the series due to it being based on his life, but Savage claims that the concept went in a different direction since he was not involved in the writing.
- "Development Update: Thursday, May 7 – Three New Comedies Heading to Series at ABC". The Futon Critic. May 7, 2015. Retrieved May 12, 2015.
- Wagmeister, Elizabeth (May 7, 2015). "'The Muppets', Comedy from 'Community' Star Ken Jeong Among ABC Orders". Variety. Retrieved May 12, 2015.
- Porter, Rick (November 16, 2015). "ABC winter/spring 2016 premieres: 'The Family' to Sundays, long breaks for 'Scandal,' 'OUAT'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 16, 2015.
- Welch, Alex (May 12, 2016). "'The Real O'Neals' renewed for season 2 at ABC for 2016-17". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 12, 2016.
- Wagmeister, Elizabeth (2016-09-29). "'The Real O'Neals' Casts Kenny's First Boyfriend (EXCLUSIVE)". Retrieved 2016-09-30.
- Andreeva, Nellie (November 4, 2016). "'American Housewife' Nabs Full-Season Order At ABC, 'The Real O'Neals' Gets 3 More Episodes". Deadline. Retrieved November 5, 2016.
- Porter, Rick (March 3, 2016). "Wednesday final ratings: 'The Goldbergs' adjusts up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 3, 2016.
- Porter, Rick (March 9, 2016). "Tuesday Final Ratings: 'Limitless' and 'NCIS: New Orleans' rerun adjust up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 9, 2016.
- Porter, Rick (March 16, 2016). "Tuesday Final Ratings: 'Crowded' adjusts down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 16, 2016.
- Porter, Rick (March 23, 2016). "Tuesday Final Ratings: 'The Voice' adjusts up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 23, 2016.
- Porter, Rick (March 30, 2016). "Tuesday Final Ratings: 'The Voice' adjusts up, 'Chicago Fire' and 'Beyond the Tank' adjust down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 30, 2016.
- Porter, Rick (April 6, 2016). "Tuesday Final Ratings: 'The Voice' adjusts up, 'Chicago Fire' adjusts down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 6, 2016.
- Porter, Rick (April 20, 2016). "Tuesday Final Ratings: 'NCIS' and 'The Flash' adjust up, 'Containment' adjusts down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 20, 2016.
- Porter, Rick (April 27, 2016). "Tuesday final ratings: 'The Voice' adjusts up, 'Containment' adjusts down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 27, 2016.
- Porter, Rick (May 4, 2016). "Tuesday final ratings: 'The Flash' and 'Beyond the Tank' adjust up, 'The Real O'Neals' adjusts down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 5, 2016.
- Porter, Rick (May 11, 2015). "Tuesday final ratings: 'NCIS' and 'NCIS: New Orleans' adjust up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 11, 2016.
- Porter, Rick (May 18, 2015). "Tuesday final ratings: 'NCIS' and 'Chicago Fire' finales adjust up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 18, 2016.
- Porter, Rick (May 25, 2015). "Tuesday final ratings: 'The Voice,' 'The Flash' and 'The Real O'Neals' finales adjust up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 25, 2016.
- Porter, Rick (October 12, 2016). "'The Voice,' 'NCIS,' 'Flash' and ABC comedies adjust up, 'No Tomorrow' adjusts down: Tuesday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 12, 2016.
- Porter, Rick (October 19, 2016). "'American Housewife' and 'The Voice' adjust up, 'Chicago Fire,' 'SHIELD' and 'Real O'Neals' down: Tuesday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- Porter, Rick (October 26, 2016). "'American Housewife' adjusts up, final World Series numbers: Tuesday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 26, 2016.
- Porter, Rick (November 2, 2016). "'The Flash,' 'Chicago Fire,' 'The Voice,' 'Fresh Off the Boat' adjust up: Tuesday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 2, 2016.
- Porter, Rick (November 16, 2016). "'New Girl' adjusts up, all others hold: Tuesday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 16, 2016.
- Porter, Rick (December 1, 2016). "'Fresh Off the Boat' & 'American Housewife' adjust up, 'No Tomorrow' adjusts down: Tuesday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved December 1, 2016.
- "(#207) "The Real Match"". The Futon Critic. Retrieved November 21, 2016.
- "Shows A-Z - real o'neals, the on abc". The Futon Critic. Retrieved February 21, 2016.
- "(#208) "The Real Christmas"". The Futon Critic. Retrieved November 24, 2016.
- "Full 2015–16 TV Season Series Rankings". Deadline Hollywood. May 26, 2015. Retrieved May 26, 2015.
- "The Real O'Neals Season 1 Reviews". Retrieved March 5, 2016.
- "The Real O'Neals: Season 1". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved March 5, 2016.
- "Conservative Groups Vow to Quash Dan Savage’s ABC Sitcom Pilot" from Mediaite (April 10, 2015)