The Radio Adventures of Dr. Floyd
The Radio Adventures of Dr. Floyd is a short audio and video series distributed via podcasting. Created by Grant Baciocco and Doug Price, it is a family friendly show in the style of old-time radio. The show also draws much inspiration from The Rocky & Bullwinkle Show. The show first began in April 2004 on Dementia Radio but gained its popularity via podcasting. The show originates from Hood Avenue Studios in Burbank, California.
Season 1 - 6 (and live episodes)
When his Time and Space Travel Device is stolen by the evil mastermind Dr. Steve and his sock-shaped assistant Fidgert. Dr. Floyd, his young protégé Dr. Grant and their faithful robot companion C.H.I.P.S. must do what they can to get it back. Bent on achieving fame and fortune, Dr. Steve plans to race through history, stealing historical items and then returning to the future to sell them on eBay. Can Dr. Floyd and his crew thwart the evil machinations of Dr. Steve and Fidgert?
In almost every episode the cast visits a famous historical figure.
At the end of Season 6, Dr Grant passed his "Protégé 101" test (with a score of 98%) and thus tested out of protégé classification (and therefore must leave Dr. Floyd); C.H.I.P.S.' parents are in dire trouble and C.H.I.P.S must help them without Dr. Floyd's help (because bringing humans to C.H.I.P.S.' planet is forbidden and would get C.H.I.P.S. into big trouble); and Dr. Steve returns the Time and Space Travel Device to Dr. Floyd (because Dr. Floyd has stopped him every time he has used it for personal gain.)
At the start of Season 7, Dr. Steve (and later Dr. Floyd) go down to the Saddle River City Library to do some book browsing. The Librarian asks if there is some Doctor Convention in town, mainly because there have been so many doctors coming to the library. Dr. Floyd heads to the classical literature section placed in the basement of the Library. He finds Dr. Steve trying to find a book on 'the life and times of Berry Malaho'. Dr. Floyd then gives Dr. Steve a lesson on the Dewey Decimal System and then says he's in the wrong area as the classical literature is in the 800's. As Dr. Floyd shows him to the right section of the Library, they are stopped by three Doctors in different coats who are named collectively 'The Literati'. Their goal is to 'bring about the total destruction and complete annihalation of Dr. Floyd!' The Literati invented the Translitora which "looks somewhat like a laser cannon", but was built to destroy Dr. Floyd.
Dr. Steve however says that there can only be one person against Dr. Floyd- himself. Dr. Steve pushes the button on the Translitora, its effect grabbing both Dr. Floyd and Dr. Steve. In a flash Dr. Floyd and Dr Steve both vanish. The Literati are thrilled that they have now gotten rid of Dr. Floyd. However, Dr. Floyd finds that he and Dr. Steve are now stuck in the stories of Classic literature with the remote control.
In every episode in Season 7, the cast visits a famous classical novel/book.
The final two episodes of Season 7 try to wrap up this Season by sending Dr Grant and CHIPS back to Dr Floyd's Lab, (with mini episodes only found on by members of the show, e.g. The Imagination Nations Rangers/Members and eventually getting Dr Steve and Dr Floyd out of Classical Literature. Eventually Fidgert steals the Time and Space Travel Device and Dr Floyd, Dr Grant and CHIPS are again trying to chase Dr Steve and Fidgert.
The first episode was aired on Dementia Radio on April 4, 2004 and began podcasting on November 7, 2004. Each episode is approximately 7 minutes long, though some are longer and some are shorter. The shows have featured guest stars from around the entertainment world playing historical figures. June Foray, Jeffrey Tambor, Don Novello, Frank Conniff, Rick Overton, Kira Soltanovich and Ron Lynch are among the celebrities who have played parts on the show.
The show was nominated for Best Comedy Podcast in the first ever Podcast Awards. It has also been featured on the front page of the iTunes Podcast Directory; in SPIN Magazine and iProng Magazine; as well as the TiVo Podcast directory.
The show has received recognition and several awards since its inception, has been continued to be featured on the iTunes Store, and has even been considered for a Grammy nomination for THE RADIO ADVENTURES OF DR. FLOYD – THE COMPLETE SEASON 5 CD
In September 2010, the creators announced on their website that Season 8 (their current season) would be their final season and that after the final episode is aired, they will be releasing all their episodes online for free to download.
- Dr. Floyd - (Doug Price) "The World's Most Brilliant Scientist" and the hero of the show. His main pet peeve is that Dr. Grant always talks about his small head.
- Dr. Grant - (Grant Baciocco) Dr. Floyd's young protégé
- C.H.I.P.S. - (Moira Quirk) Dr. Floyd and Dr. Grant's faithful robot companion
- Dr. Steve - Evil mastermind and Dr. Floyd's nemesis
- Fidgert - Dr. Steve's "sock-shaped" assistant
- Mr. Narrator - narrator of the shows, who interacts with the characters at times
- Flight Attendant Krystee - a flight attendant on Dr. Floyd's Time & Space Ship
- Ensign Tim Porary - red shirted expendable crewman
- Mrs. Doris Floyd - (Leslie Carrara-Rudolph) mother of Dr. Floyd
- Mr. Beardychins - Mrs. Floyd's Pomeranian puppy
- Dr. Doug - wayward protégé of Dr. Floyd
- Al Capone - (Ryan Smith) Episodes 105, 106 & 107
- Wilbur Wright - (Chris Waffle) Episodes 109 & 110
- Orville Wright - (Tim Waffle) Episodes 109 & 110
- Molly Pitcher - (Carla Ulbrich) Episodes 201 & 202
- Johann Pachelbel - (Rob Paravonian) Episodes 203 & 204
- David Livingstone - (Grant Baciocco) Episodes 208, 209 & 210
- Henry Morton Stanley - (Doug Price) Episodes 208, 209 & 210
- Cleopatra - (Deven Green) Episodes 211 & 212
- Mark Antony - (Joel Bryant) Episodes 211 & 212
- Meriwether Lewis - (Jeff Smith) Episodes 302 & 303
- William Clark - (Matthew Dunn) Episodes 302 & 303
- P.T. Barnum - (Luke Ski) Episodes 304, 305 & 306
- H.G. Wells - (Rick Overton) Episode 308
- Orson Welles - (Rick Overton) Episode 308
- Annie Oakley - (Kira Soltanovich) Episodes 311 & 312
- Buffalo Bill Cody - (Frank Conniff) Episodes 311 & 312
- Jimmy Hoffa - (Doug Price) Episode 401
- Ted Hustead & Wall Drug - (Grant Baciocco) Episode 403 & 404
- Alva J. Fisher - (Tony Foster) Episode 405
- George Washington - (Jeffrey Tambor) Episodes 407 & 408
- Alexander Hamilton - (Chris Hardwick) Episode 407
- Thomas Jefferson - (Jeremy Aengel) Episode 407
- Henry Knox - (Doug Price) Episode 407
- Edmund Randolph - (Grant Baciocco) Episode 407
- Martha Washington - (Leslie Carrara-Rudolph) Episode 408
- Gilbert Stuart - (Mike Hollingsworth) Episode 408
- Benjamin Franklin - (Chuck McCann) Episodes 410 & 411
- Pablo Picasso - (Lance Anderson) Episode 413
- Galileo - (Don Novello) Episodes 414 & 415
- Susan B. Anthony - (June Foray) Episodes 501, 502 & 503
- William Bradford (1590-1657) - (John Billingsley) Episodes 507 & 508
- Mary Brewster - (Bonita Friederecy) Episodes 507 & 508
- Amelia Earhart - (Maria Bamford) Episodes 513 & 601
- Fred Noonan - (Frank Conniff) Episodes 513 & 601
- Blackbeard - (Joel Hodgson) Episodes 602 & 603
- Sherlock Holmes (Stan Freberg) Episodes 709 & 710
- Francois Barbe-Marbois - (Doug Price) Episode SE001
- James Monroe - (Doug Price) Episode SE001
- Robert R. Livingston - (Grant Baciocco) Episode SE001
Awards and nominations
- 2006 Parsec Award - Best Audio Drama (Short) Research: 2006 Parsec Awards Winners, retrieved 2007-09-29
- 2006 Podcast Peer Award - Best Family Friendly Podcast Research: Podcast Peer Awards 1 Winners, retrieved 2007-09-29
- 2006 Just Plain Folks Music Award - Children's Storytelling - Nominee
- 2007 Podcast Peer Award - Best Fiction Podcast Research: Podcast Peer Awards 2 Winners, retrieved 2007-09-29
- 2007 Parsec Award - Best Audio Production
- 2007 Parsec Award - Best Audio Drama (Short)
- 2007 Podcast Peer Award - Best Family Friendly Podcast Research: Podcast Peer Awards 3 Winners, retrieved 2007-09-29
- 2009 Parsec Award - Best Audio Drama (Short)
- "Sound - MP3" (MP3). Doctorfloyd.com. Retrieved 2015-02-08.
- "Sound - MP3" (MP3). Doctorfloyd.com. Retrieved 2015-02-08.
- "Dr. Floyd In Consideration For A Grammy Nomination! : The Radio Adventures Of Dr. Floyd". Doctorfloyd.com. 2008-10-28. Retrieved 2015-02-28.
- "PROMO #068 "The Final Season Of Dr. Floyd!" : The Radio Adventures Of Dr. Floyd". Doctorfloyd.com. 2010-09-04. Retrieved 2015-02-28.
- Official website
- Tech Talk for Families interview with Grant, Doug, and the characters from the show