200 Granville Street|
Vancouver, British Columbia
157,525 Sunday in 2011
In 1923, the Southam family bought The Province. By 1945 the paper's printers went out on strike. The Province had been the best selling newspaper in Vancouver, ahead of The Vancouver Sun and News Herald. As a result of the six-week strike, it lost significant market share, at one point falling to third place. In 1957, The Province and The Vancouver Sun were sold to Pacific Press Limited which was jointly owned by both newspaper companies.
CFCB/CKCD radio station
At 2 p.m. on March 23, 1922, the Province launched radio station CFCB, with news and stock market reports. There were news bulletins throughout the day, followed by music. Sign off was at 10 p.m. The station's name changed to CKCD in 1923 and it moved to 730 kHz in 1925. In 1933 the paper turned its operations over to the Pacific Broadcasting Co., while continuing to supply news reports to the station.
In 1936, the newly formed Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, established to function as both broadcaster and broadcasting regulator (taking over the latter function from previous regulator the Department of Marine and Fisheries), asked CKCD to relinquish its licence, and the station signed off for the last time in February 1940.