The Krofft Superstar Hour
|The Krofft Superstar Hour|
Bay City Rollers|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||13|
|Producer(s)||Sid and Marty Krofft|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Original release||September 9, 1978 – January 27, 1979|
The Krofft Supershow;|
The Krofft Superstar Hour is a Saturday morning children's variety show, produced by Sid and Marty Krofft. After eight episodes, the show was renamed The Bay City Rollers Show. It aired for one season from September 9, 1978 to January 27, 1979 on NBC.
The show is essentially a reworking of The Krofft Supershow, replacing the fictitious band "Kaptain Kool and the Kongs" with the real life Bay City Rollers. Just as on the previous show, the Rollers would perform comedy skits and musical numbers, and introduce the live action segments. The Bay City Rollers' segment also featured a character called Mr. Munchy in the main segment.
The regular live action segments were "Horror Hotel" and "The Lost Island." The show was cut back to 30 minutes after it was renamed The Bay City Rollers Show, and "The Lost Island" was dropped. The skits with the rollers generally featured cameos by characters from other Sid and Marty Krofft shows, including Enik and the Sleestak from Land of the Lost, various characters from H.R. Pufnstuf, and Dr. Shrinker (now renamed Dr. Deathray) and his assistant Hugo (now renamed Otto).
Despite the title, "Horror Hotel" was a comedy. It featured Wilhemina W. Witchiepoo of H.R. Pufnstuf fame running the eponymous hotel. She was assisted by Horatio J. HooDoo from Lidsville and H.R. Pufnstuf characters Dr. Blinkey, Seymour the Spider, Orson the Vulture, and Stupid Bat.
The Lost Island
"The Lost Island" also featured a number of characters from other Krofft shows on the Lost Island within the Bermuda Triangle. Stories would somehow combine H.R. Pufnstuf, Enik from Land of the Lost, Sigmund the Sea Monster, Weenie the Genie from Lidsville and other unlikely characters into one storyline while they stay one step ahead of Dr. Deathray. Enik was the King of the Sleestak who lived within the Lost City and the Lost Island was also inhabited by dragons (utilizing stop-motion footage of Grumpy and Big Alice from "Land of the Lost"). The good guys would often turn to the Island Spirit for advice on how to handle whatever plight they end up in.
- Bay City Rollers (Eric Faulkner, Derek Longmuir, Leslie McKeown, Stuart 'Woody' Wood) - Themselves
- Sharon Baird - Various Characters
- Billy Barty - Otto, Sigmund the Sea Monster
- Louise DuArt - Barbie, Nashville, Various Characters
- Paul Gale - Horatio J. Hoodoo, Various Characters
- Billie Hayes - Wilhemina W. Witchiepoo, Weenie the Genie
- Mickey McMeel - Turkey, Various Characters
- Jay Robinson - Dr. Deathray, Various Characters
- Van Snowden - Mr. Munchy, Various Characters
- Lennie Weinrib - H.R. Pufnstuf, Orson Vulture, Stupid Bat
- Walker Edmiston - Dr. Blinky, Enik, Seymour Spider, Sigmund
- Krofft Superstar Hour at 70s Kidvid website
- The Krofft Superstar Hour at the Internet Movie Database