The Curse of the Aztec Mummy
|The Curse of the Aztec Mummy|
Mexican release poster
|Directed by||Rafael Portillo|
|Produced by||Guillermo Calderón (producer)|
|Music by||Antonio Díaz Conde|
Cinematográfica Calderón S.A.
|Distributed by||Clasa-Mohme (1957 United States theatrical release)|
The Curse of the Aztec Mummy (Spanish: La maldición de la momia azteca) is a 1957 Mexican horror film directed by Rafael Portillo. It is the second film in the Aztec Mummy series which began with The Aztec Mummy (Spanish title:La Momia Azteca) which was released earlier that year.
The evil Dr. Krupp, once again trying to get possession of the Aztec princess Xochitl's jewels, hypnotizes her current reincarnation, Flor, to get her to reveal the jewels' location - Xochitl's tomb. Confusion reigns as Krupp and his thugs are opposed by Flor's lover, Dr. Almada, his assistant, and wrestling superhero, El Angel. Krupp finally meets his match, however, when he comes up against Popoca, the warrior mummy who guards Xochitl's tomb.
- Ramón Gay as Dr. Eduardo Almada
- Rosa Arenas as Flor / Xochitl
- Crox Alvarado as Pinacate / El Ángel
- Luis Aceves Castañeda as Dr. Krupp
- Jorge Mondragón as Dr. Sepúlveda
- Arturo Martínez as Tierno
- Emma Roldán as María, the housekeeper
- Julián de Meriche as Comandante de Policía
- Salvador Lozano
- Jaime González Quiñones as Pepe Almada
- Ángel Di Stefani as Popoca, the mummy
- Jesús Murcielago Velázquez as El Murciélago
- Enrique Yáñez as Esbirro del Murciélago
- Guillermo Hernández as Esbirro del Murciélago
- Alberto Yáñez as Esbirro del Murciélago
- Firpo Segura as Esbirro del Murciélago
- Sergio Yañez as Esbirro del Murciélago
- Estela Inda as Aztec Chanteuse
Critical reception for the film has been negative.
Horror DVDs.com on their review for the complete series gave the film a negative review calling it "the least satisfying entry in the series". The reviewer also criticized the introduction of the superhero El Ángel as "random".
Leonard Maltin gave the film 1 1/2 / 4 calling it "Cheap" and "droning".
Other films in The Aztec Mummy series
- La Momia Azteca (U.S. title: The Aztec Mummy)
- The Robot vs. The Aztec Mummy
- Wrestling Women vs. The Aztec Mummy
- "La maldición de la momia azteca (1957) - IMDb". IMDb.com. IMDb.com. Retrieved 17 October 2014.
- "DVD Reviews A-M - Horror Digital". Horror DVDs.com. Jeremy. Retrieved 20 October 2014.
- Leonard Maltin; Spencer Green; Rob Edelman (January 2010). Leonard Maltin's Classic Movie Guide. Plume. p. 143. ISBN 978-0-452-29577-3.
- The Curse of the Aztec Mummy at the Internet Movie Database
- Curse of the Aztec Mummy at Rotten Tomatoes
- The Curse of the Aztec Mummy at the TCM Movie Database
- La maldición de la momia azteca at DB Cult Film Institute
- La Maldicion de la Momia Azteca at AllMovie