|Birth name||Michael Szewczyk|
|Also known as||Cobbler|
|Occupation(s)||Disc jockey, record producer|
|Associated acts||Bath, Body Release|
Michael Szewczyk (born 1973), known as DJ Textbeak, is an American DJ, artist and record producer.
DJ Textbeak is known internationally for his varied style of dark and experimental music including remixes for ∆AIMON, Cyanotic, Yello, Zombie Nation, 3Teeth, Architect, among others. In 2016, he was a support act for Modern English.
He is considered influential in the Witch house and Trap genres for his early introduction of the movements and exclusive contributions of remixes.
Textbeak grew up under the guardianship of his grandparents who helped explore his interest in sounds from classical composition to film documentaries and environmental noise. In his early teens, he was able to orchestrate these sounds through modular distortion and sampling.
Forming his sound, Textbeak was musically grouped with and appealed to punk, dark electro, and techno genres. In 1991 he moved to Columbus, Ohio to start the rave group Body Release with Todd Sines, Titonton Duvante (Residual Records) and Charles Noel (Archetype), to tour the United States.
By 1993 Textbeak was known as Cobbler and signed and released original material through Jevan Records, a goth and industrial label, in what he classified as musically “alien, cerebral, and scary”. The group project entitled Bath was nominated for music awards. During this time, he began remixing other acts on the label and befriended artist and poet Lorin Morgan-Richards.
In 1998, he began releasing solo material and performing nationally alongside acts Merzbow, Tamara Sky, Larry Tee, Nitzer Ebb, and Meat Beat Manifesto to name a few.
In 2011, Textbeak started his own 2 hour satellite program entitled TXTBK's CHVяCH XV BяXK3N 7ANGvAG3 featuring original and remixed tracks of new witch, experimental, industrial, and electro. In the same year, he was invited to participate in an exhibit entitled Necessary Discomforts, a tribute to Rozz Williams at the Hyaena Gallery. In creating artwork, Textbeak’s approach is similar to his filter of music, applying collage samples of visual information into a base of painting and illustration. Textbeak also has produced a large body of digital work.
|1998||N-Graver Part Two||Jevan Records|
|2016||Endpoint Fireworshiper||X.O. Skeleton Musick|
|2007||Various Levels of Decay||Vaatican Records|
|2008||False Shit||Amduscias Records|
|2008||Word Vessels||Bleak Netlabel|
|2009||I could be Wrong||Colin Joncho Records|
|2012||Textbeak -N- Tndrond - The Spirit of Opposition||I had An Accident Records|
|2014||Textbeak and Tndrond - Ghost Omithology||Dark Daze Music|
|2015||Textbeak, Decohere & Voctave - Tndrond Live 2003||X.O. Skeleton Musick|
Singles & EPs
|2008||Watching Birds Fall||Vaatican Records|
|2008||Free Tacos and Cat Piss||Swishcotehque|
|2008||Operation Anvil Remixes||Timetheory|
|2008||Repeat Repeat Delete||Politicide|
|2008||Four and Twenty Black Birds||Colin Johnco Records|
|2010||Glorious and Sinister||Swishcotheque|
|2012||Amplifii DX||CANS - Label/Collective|
|2015||Like Ghosts||Sequel Sound|
|2011||Covenfvck||Black Lodge Music|
|2011||IKONIK A Mix 4||МИШКА|
|2014||CXB7 #165 Outro||TXTBK's CHVяCH XV BяXK3N 7ANGvAG3|
- ↑ https://fragile-osaka.com/blog/artist/kollapsxtextbeak-episode-01/
- ↑ https://aaimon.bandcamp.com/track/emptiness-textbeak-remix
- ↑ http://www.post-punk.com/cyanotic-cause-effect-textbeak-remix-video-premiere/
- ↑ https://www.twine.fm/MichaelSzewczyk/ctv140/3-teeth-nihil-textbeak-remix
- ↑ https://www.timeout.com/dallas/things-to-do/modern-english-nite-awen-dj-mike-textbeak
- ↑ https://ivacationinyourhell.com/tag/textbeak/
- ↑ https://autoreversetoinfinity.wordpress.com/2011/08/10/interview-with-mike-textbeak/
- ↑ http://mountainfightingrecords.tumblr.com/artists/textbeak
- ↑ http://www.clevescene.com/cleveland/2000-scene-music-awards/Content?oid=1474104
- ↑ https://substancemode.com/?author=1
- ↑ http://www.cleveland.com/dining/index.ssf/2012/10/heather_in_wonderland_rave_at.html
- ↑ http://www.houstonpress.com/music/upcoming-cheetah-chrome-gene-watson-night-ranger-rosanne-cash-skatestock-iii-etc-6519818
- ↑ http://parallelplanets.blogspot.com/2013/11/mike-textbeak-waving-gucci-goth-flag.html
- ↑ https://www.artslant.com/global/artists/show/427039-mike-textbeak