Tapatío hot sauce
|Founder||Jose-Luis Saavedra, Sr.|
|Headquarters||Vernon, California, U.S.|
"Tapatío" is the name given to people from Guadalajara, Jalisco: the company's founders come from Guadalajara. It is exported to Mexico, Canada, Central America, Australia and a few countries in Europe.
The ingredients, as listed on the product label, are: water, red peppers, salt, spices, garlic, acetic acid, xanthan gum and sodium benzoate as a preservative. Tapatío comes in five sizes: 5, 10, and 32 fl oz., and 1 gallon (3.785 liters), as well as in 7 gram packets.
The product slogan is "Es una salsa ... Muy salsa" (roughly, "It's a sauce... (that's) very saucy").
The Tapatío Hot Sauce company was started in 1971 by Jose-Luis Saavedra, Sr., in a 750-square-foot (70 m2) warehouse in Maywood, California. In 1985, the company moved to a 8,500-square-foot (790 m2) facility in Vernon, California, 5 miles (8.0 km) from Downtown Los Angeles. Although larger than the first location, the new factory had a single loading dock and limited storage space, which created a new series of problems for the company. After a long search, a site was found for a developer to custom-build a new 30,000-square-foot (2,800 m2) facility, which Tapatío presently occupies. The new factory has several loading docks and automated production.
- Food production
- List of hot sauces
- Scoville heat scale, measures the hotness or piquancy of a chili pepper
- Doritos Tapatío. Frito Lay Product Page.
- Ruffles Tapatío Limon. Frito Lay Product Page.
- Fritos Tapatío. Frito Lay Product Page.
- Press Release on new Frito Lay Tapatío Hot Sauce Flavors. Frito Lay Press Release Archive.
- Tapatio Hot Sauce - History. Accessed September 2009.