|From 8 to possibly 15 million|
|Syrian Arabic, Brazilian Portuguese, Spanish, French, English, German, Turkish|
|Islam, Christianity, Druze, Syrian Jews|
Syrian diaspora refers to Syrian migrants and their descendants who, whether by choice or coercion, emigrated from Syria and now reside in other countries as either immigrants or refugees of the Syrian Civil War.
The Syrians living outside of Syria are estimated to be from 8 to possibly around 15 million. Under the current nationality law, diaspora Syrians do not have an automatic right of return to Syria. Due to varying degrees of assimilation, most diaspora Syrians have not passed on the language to their children (either Arabic, Kurdish, Armenian or Adyghe), while some still maintaining a Syrian ethnic identity.
Syrian populations in the diaspora
|Country||Estimate||Upper Estimate||Region||Country article in English Wikipedia|
|Brazil||1 million according to a research conducted by IBGE in 2008, covering only the states of Amazonas, Paraíba, São Paulo, Rio Grande do Sul, Mato Grosso and Distrito Federal, 0.9% of white Brazilian respondents said they had family origins in the Middle East||4 million (Brazilian government)||Latin America||Syrian Brazilian|
|Turkey||2,503,549 registered (December 2015)||Middle East||Syrians in Turkey|
|Lebanon||1,070,189 registered (December 2015)||Middle East||Syrians in Lebanon|
|Jordan||633,466 registered (December 2015)||1,400,000 estimated (ِAugust 2015)||Middle East||Syrians in Jordan|
|Argentina||500,000||1 million||Latin America||Syrian Argentine|
|Saudi Arabia||500,000||Middle East||Syrians in Saudi Arabia|
|Iraq||247,861 estimated (March 2015)||Middle East|
|United Arab Emirates||242,000 estimated (October 2015)||Middle East||Syrians in the United Arab Emirates|
|Germany||600,000+||European Union||Syrians in Germany|
|United States||154,560 (by ancestry, 2010 Census)||North America||Syrian American|
|Egypt||133,862 estimated (April 2015)||North Africa|
|Kuwait||120,000 estimated (2015)||Middle East||Syrians in Kuwait|
|Greece||88,204 (2015)||European Union||Syrians in Greece|
|Canada||40,840 (by ancestry, 2011 Census)||North America||Syrian Canadians|
|Sweden||40,000 (2015)||European Union||Syrians in Sweden|
|Austria||18,000 (2015)||European Union||Syrians in Austrian|
|Australia||13,517 (by ancestry, 2011)||Oceania||Syrian Australian|
|Algeria||10,000 (Jan 2013)||25,000 estimated (Jan 2013)||North Africa|
- Singh, Shubha. "Like India, Syria has a large diaspora (With stories on Syrian president's visit)". Theindian News. Retrieved 15 March 2014.
- IBGE. IBGE: Características Étnico-Raciais da População.
- Brazilian Ministry of Foreign Affaires
- "UNHCR Syria Regional Refugee Response/ Turkey". UNHCR. 31 December 2015. Retrieved 17 January 2016.
- "UNHCR Syria Regional Refugee Response/ Lebanon". UNHCR. 10 December 2015. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- "UNHCR Syria Regional Refugee Response/ Jordan". UNHCR. 10 December 2015. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- "UNHCR Syria Regional Refugee Response/ Iraq". UNHCR. 28 February 2015. Retrieved 21 March 2015.
- UAE home to 242,000 Syrians
- "Aufnahme von syrischen Flüchtlingen zum Stand Mitte 2015". Mediendienst Integration. Retrieved 24 September 2016.
- U.S. Census Bureau: Population by Selected Ancestry Group and Region: 2005
- "UNHCR Syria Regional Refugee Response/ Egypt". UNHCR. 17 March 2015. Retrieved 21 March 2015.
- Kuwait "Kuwait extends residency permits for Syrians" Check
|url=value (help). UNHCR. 2 September 2015. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- "Financially Strapped Greece Struggles With Flood of Refugees/". WSJ. 2 September 2015. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- Statistics Canada. "2011 National Household Survey: Data tables". Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- "Var femte asylsökande kom från Syrien". Statistics Sweden. Retrieved 20 March 2015.
- "Antalet asylsökande från Syrien har fördubblats". Statistics Sweden. Retrieved 20 March 2015.
- "Största folkökningen någonsin". Statistics Sweden. Retrieved 20 March 2015.
- "Stor ökning av ensamkommande flyktingbarn". Statistics Sweden. Retrieved 20 March 2015.
- STATISTIK AUSTRIA. "Bevölkerung nach Staatsangehörigkeit und Geburtsland". Retrieved 8 August 2015.
- "The People of Australia – Statistics from the 2011 Census" (PDF). Australian Government.
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees. "UNHCR - Algeria". Retrieved 13 November 2014.