Sword of Sherwood Forest
|Sword of Sherwood Forest
|26 December 1960
|1,229,879 admissions (France)
Sword of Sherwood Forest is a 1960 British Technicolor adventure film in MegaScope directed by Terence Fisher for Hammer Film Productions. Richard Greene reprises the role of Robin Hood, which he played in The Adventures of Robin Hood on TV from 1955 to 1959.
The Sheriff of Nottingham (Peter Cushing) plans to confiscate the estate of the Lord of Bortrey, a nobleman who has died on Crusade. The Archbishop of Canterbury, Hubert Walter (Jack Gwillim), speaks against this plan and the sheriff plots to eliminate him. Robin Hood is asked to undertake the assassination of the Archbishop for the plotters, led by the Earl of Newark (Richard Pasco) and Lord Melton (Oliver Reed), but on realising who the intended target is, resolves to help the Archbishop instead.
Maid Marian (Sarah Branch) also wants to meet the Archbishop so she can grant freedom to the family of a man murdered by the Sheriff's men, and she is also keen to meet Robin again who she met when she thought he was a common outlaw, but now realises he is on the side of good.
- Richard Greene as Robin Hood
- Sarah Branch as Maid Marian
- Peter Cushing as the Sheriff of Nottingham
- Richard Pasco as Edward, Earl of Newark
- Nigel Green as Little John
- Niall MacGinnis as Friar Tuck
- Jack Gwillim as Archbishop Hubert Walter
- Edwin Richfield as The Sheriff's Lieutenant
- Oliver Reed as the Lord Melton
- Patrick Crean as Lord Ollerton
- Vanda Godsell as The Prioress
- Dennis Lotis as Alan A'Dale
- Derren Nesbitt as Martin of Eastwood
- Supporting cast included Desmond Llewellyn (later "Q" in the James Bond films).
- Apart from Greene, none of the original cast from The Adventures of Robin Hood appear in the film.
The film earned generally favourably reviews and became a sleeper hit.
Sword of Sherwood Forest currently holds a three star rating (6.4/10) on IMDb.
Its music was composed by Alun Hoddinott.
- Box office information for Terence Fisher films in France at Box office Story
- Sword of Sherwood Forest at the Internet Movie Database
- Sword of Sherwood Forest at AllMovie
- Sword of Sherwood Forest at the TCM Movie Database
- Sword of Sherwood Forest at the American Film Institute Catalog