StarSat, South Africa
|Founded||May 1, 2010|
|Products||Direct broadcast satellite|
Footnotes / references|
On Digital Media
StarSat, South Africa is a subsidiary of the Chinese satellite television provider, StarTimes, operating in South Africa that began broadcasting on 1 May 2010. StarSat is owned by On Digital Media, who were granted a pay-TV license by ICASA in September 2007. On Digital Media is 20% owned by TV satellite operator SES and 20% owned by China’s StarTimes. StarSat's service is aimed at the LSM 6-9 demographic, targeting middle class viewers. Until 31 October 2013, the service was known as TopTV.
On 30 April 2013, shareholders of On Digital Media (ODM), StarSat's parent company, voted to approve StarTimes taking over a 20% share of ODM. By doing so, StarTimes effectively acquired a 65% economic interest in ODM. The vote also included adoption of a business rescue plan.
Broadcast and Reception
StarSat services are broadcast via satellite, using the SES5 satellite at the 5°E orbital position, and 3 of the six 36 MHz transponders in the 'Sub Saharan Africa Ku-band' beam providing coverage of the whole sub-Saharan Africa region. Transmissions are in the DVB-S2 MPEG-4 digital TV format with reception using a simple set-top box, with a PVR receiver slated for later in 2011.
- Astra 4A broadcasting satellite
- Astra 5°E orbital position
- SES satellite operator
- Astra satellite family
- "TopTV Launch - Rise Up South Africa!" (Press release). On Digital Media. 29 April 2010. Retrieved January 2, 2014.
- "On Digital Media website". Retrieved 15 May 2010.
- de Lanerolle, Indra (2011). "Convergence and regulation in South Africa: in search of a new public interest paradigm". info. 13 (3): 47–63.
- "More delays in store for TopTV as shareholders head to court". City Press. 22 October 2013. Retrieved January 2, 2014.
- "Goodbye TopTV, Hello StarSat" (Press release). TVSA. October 31, 2013. Retrieved January 2, 2014.
- "About Us". StarSat. Retrieved January 2, 2014.
- "Astra 4A". SES. Retrieved January 26, 2012.