Screenshot of an internet speed test on speedtest.net.
Type of site
|Broadband internet speed test|
|Available in||English, French, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish, Indonesian, Polish, Portuguese, Swedish, Dutch|
|Owner||Ookla (Ziff Davis)|
|Slogan(s)||"The Global Standard in Internet Metrics"|
|Alexa rank||255 (April 2016)|
|Launched||April 1, 2006|
Speedtest.net is a web service that provides free analysis of Internet access performance metrics, such as connection data rate and latency. It was founded by Ookla in 2006, and is based in Seattle, Washington.
The service measures the bandwidth (speed) and latency of a visitor's Internet connection against one of 4,759 geographically dispersed servers (as of August 2016) located around the world. Each test measures the data rate for the download direction, i.e. from the server to the user computer, and the upload data rate, i.e. from the user's computer to the server. The tests are performed within the user's web browser or within apps. As of 2016, over 9.0 billion speed tests have been completed.
Tests were previously performed using the HTTP protocol at Layer 7 of the OSI model. To further improve accuracy, Speedtest.net now performs tests via direct TCP sockets and uses a custom protocol for communication between servers and clients.
The owner and operator of Speedtest.net, Ookla, was established in 2006 by a small team of internet and technology veterans. Ookla was acquired by Ziff Davis in 2014.
The technology of Speedtest.net is identical to that of Ookla NetGauge which is provided to a wide variety of companies and organizations on a licensed basis. Speedtest.net Mini is a free stripped-down version of the speed test technology used on Speedtest.net that users can run on their own web server. Together, over 20 million speed tests are generated each month using Ookla's software.
Speedtest Market Reports
In 2016, Speedtest began releasing market reports for different countries and cities, providing raw statistics regarding download and upload speeds for the past year for ISPs and mobile carriers. It also includes analysis of the current ISP and mobile markets of the respective country and breakdowns by region and city. ISPs and mobile carriers are ranked by their geographic performance. As of now, only the United States has a report, though briefly a Canadian report was visible (since redacted).
|Year||Country Name (Alphabetical)||Average ISP Download||Average ISP Upload||Average Mobile Download||Average Mobile Upload||Fastest ISP Download||Fastest ISP Upload||Fastest Carrier Download||Fastest Carrier Upload|
|2016||United States||54.97 Mbit/s||18.88 Mbit/s||19.61 Mbit/s||7.94 Mbit/s||XFINITY (125.53 Mbit/s)||Verizon FIOS (93.64 Mbit/s)||Verizon Wireless & T-Mobile (21 Mbit/s)||T-Mobile (11.59 Mbit/s)|
Net Index Rankings
|Top 11 Countries: Download Speed|
|2||Hong Kong||104.22 Mbit/s|
|7||South Korea||59.19 Mbit/s|
|8||Saint Pierre and Miquelon||51.43 Mbit/s|
|Top 11 Countries: Upload Speed|
|2||Hong Kong||100.56 Mbit/s|
|5||South Korea||51.31 Mbit/s|
The site offers a service by which groups of friends may compare results against each other and as a group average. Badges are also awarded for achievements such as Highest Download Speed and Lowest Latency.
Badges are awarded when either Highest Download or Lowest Ping will be.
The Ookla Speed Test also has a tool called “My Results” which lets you graphically compare your upload and download speeds as well as the different servers you have tested. Users who have been through many internet service providers, or that have more than one, may find value in this tool and could use it to choose the most efficient.
- "Speedtest.net Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2016-04-01.
- See tests completed on page.
- "Broadband speeds around the world". BBC News. December 2, 2007. Retrieved November 13, 2011.
- Greenop, Matt (July 27, 2007). "The truth about Kiwi broadband". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved November 13, 2011.
- Lane, Terry (June 24, 2007). "Hey Telstra, forget about broadband". The Age. Retrieved November 13, 2011.
- "Ziff Davis Acquires Ookla... (NASDAQ:JCOM)". Retrieved 2016-05-28.
- "NetMetrics from Ookla - Internet performance database". ookla.com.
- "Ookla - About". ookla.com.
- "United States Speedtest Market Report". Retrieved August 18, 2016.
- "Net Index Replacements". Retrieved August 18, 2016.
- "Speedtest Awards". Retrieved August 18, 2016.
- "Speedtest Intelligence" (PDF). Retrieved August 18, 2016.
- "Download Speed by Country - Net Index from Ookla". netindex.com.
- "Net Index by Ookla - Household Upload Index - All Countries". Ookla. Nov 24, 1014 – May 26, 2015. Retrieved May 27, 2015.
- "Internet Speed test by Ookla". inforocked.com. March 25, 2015. Retrieved April 1, 2015.