Singleton (West Sussex) railway station

Place Singleton
Area Chichester, West Sussex
Grid reference SU866130
Pre-grouping London, Brighton and South Coast Railway
Post-grouping Southern Railway
Southern Region of British Railways
Platforms 4
11 July 1881 Station opened
6 July 1935 Station closed (passengers)
28 August 1953 Station closed (freight)
Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom
Closed railway stations in Britain
UK Railways portal

Singleton railway station served the village of Singleton in the county of West Sussex in England. The station was on the former line between Chichester and Midhurst. It was opened on 11 July 1881.

The station, designed by T. H. Myres, was built in a grand way by its owners the London Brighton and South Coast Railway, which included four platforms, with a subway linking them and the 'Country House' style station building, buffets, long sidings for awaiting trains, a large goods shed for dealing with freight, and two signal boxes to control the station. The main reason for this large building was to deal with visitors to the Goodwood Racecourse, but passengers preferred to use Chichester Station mostly due to the walk uphill to the course from Singleton. It was one of the most visited stations by the LBSCR Royal train as the prince of Wales (later Edward VII) used to 'weekend' with the James family at West Dean House. Little other traffic was ever found, and despite all of the grand hopes, passenger services were withdrawn on 6 July 1935. Freight services remained until these were withdrawn on 28 August 1953 by British Railways. The station was later in use by a vineyard owner, but is now a private residence.

Preceding station Disused railways Following station
Cocking   Midhurst Railways   Lavant

Coordinates: 50°54′37″N 0°46′6″W / 50.91028°N 0.76833°W / 50.91028; -0.76833

This article is issued from Wikipedia - version of the 3/17/2016. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.