Sheikh Maqsood in 2011
|Coordinates: 36°14′10″N 37°9′6″E / 36.23611°N 37.15167°E|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
In the Syrian Civil War
During the Syrian Civil War, Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) militia took control of the neighbourhood. Far away from the Kurdish inhabited enclaves, Sheikh Maqsood has been very vulnerable to assaults by the Al-Nusra Front and other Islamist rebel groups which were besieging the district from all directions but the south and west until they were driven back by pro-government forces during June and November 2016.
Islamist rebel groups have multiple times shelled Sheikh Maqsood, causing destruction of property and injury and death of civilians. In May 2016, Amnesty International's regional director suggested that the attacks on Sheikh Maqsood constitute "war crimes". In mid-June 2016 the US-supported Syrian Democratic Forces (of which the YPG are a component) and Russia accused the rebel militias of causing the death of over 40 civilians in the month, and an accumulated 1,000 civilian deaths, through indiscriminate shelling of Sheikh Maqsood.
- Aleppo - Governance, Caerus Associates on First Mile Geo
- Mapping the conflict in Aleppo, Syria, Caerus Associates with support from the American Security Project, February 2014
- Nisman, Daniel (8 April 2013). "Have Syria's Kurds Had a Change of Heart?". Huffington Post. Retrieved 10 November 2015.
Reports indicate that YPG militiamen and Syrian rebels have agreed to share control of the strategic Sheikh Maqsood District of northern Aleppo
- "Syria: nearly half rebel fighters are jihadists or hardline Islamists, says IHS Jane's report". The Telegraph. 2013-09-15. Retrieved 2016-06-11.
- "Guide to the Syrian rebels". BBC. 2013-12-13. Retrieved 2016-06-11.
- "Syrian Islamist rebels renew chemical attack on Kurdish district in Aleppo". Ara News. 2016-03-14. Retrieved 2016-06-11.
- "Syrian rebels massacre Kurdish civilians in Aleppo". Ara News. 2016-04-06. Retrieved 2016-06-11.
- "Rebels strike Kurdish neighborhood in Aleppo with chemical gas". Al-Masdar News. 2016-04-07. Retrieved 2016-06-11.
- "Aleppo district shelled with chemical gas – local journalist". RT. 2016-04-07. Retrieved 2016-06-11.
- "About 65 casualties and injuries in shelling and launching explosive cylinders on Sheikh Maqsood neighborhood". SOHR. 2016-04-16. Retrieved 2016-06-11.
- "Amnesty: Attacks on Aleppo's Kurdish section amount to 'war crimes'". Rudaw. 2016-05-13. Retrieved 2016-06-19.
- "Russia shows support to Kurdish-led SDF north Syria". ARA News. 2016-06-14. Retrieved 2016-06-14.