Santiago Segura Silva|
17 July 1965
|Occupation||film director, screenwriter, producer and actor|
Santiago Segura Silva (born July 17, 1965 in Madrid) is an actor, screenwriter, director and producer of Spanish cinema, popular for its pentalogy film Torrente. He also worked to a lesser extent as a TV presenter, voice actor and comic writer, besides being original collector.
At 12, he began making films with a Super-8 camera, and, after a recommendation from Fernando Trueba, began to be realized within 35 mm, with funding them had reaped rewards by participating in game shows. Fame would come with his first feature, "Torrente, el brazo tonto de la ley", to be followed by numerous sequels that would make it the highest grossing Spanish film series. Despite the benefits that this gave Segura film series (an estimated 41 million among the top three) the filmmaker crossed in 2010 a phase of economic problems due to the limited success of the projects it undertook, forcing him to produce a quarter of the series and sanitize his business as productor. However, the downturn was temporary and its holding company had in March 2011 a sum of 16 million euros in assets.
Life and career
Santiago was born in the Carabanchel neighbourhood in Madrid. After studying Arts at the Complutense University of Madrid, he decided to pursue a career as a filmmaker and in 1989 he directed the short Relatos de medianoche with a budget of 7000 pesetas (around US$50). In 1992 he went on to direct his first professional short Evilio, followed with Perturbado in 1993.
In 1993, he had a small role in Alex de la Iglesia's film Acción mutante. Two years later, he starred in El día de la Bestia, from the same director and that role made him famous in Spain. In 1998 he directed the film that brought him to stardom, Torrente: El brazo tonto de la ley (1998), in which he also acted as the lead character José Luis Torrente, a sleazy crime-fighter. Its popularity led to a sequel (Torrente 2: Misión en Marbella) and a computer game (Torrente: El juego).
Torrente 2: Misión en Marbella made €22,838,500 at the Spanish box office, becoming the highest grossing Spanish film of all time. Torrente 3: El protector, the third film in the series, was released in September 2005. Its advertising campaign parodied Batman Begins, using the phrase "Torrente Acabado" ("Torrente Finished"). Although he declared Torrente 3: El protector would be the last of the Torrente series, Torrente 4 was released in 2011. In 2010, he played the title role in El gran Vázquez, based on the life of the legendary cartoonist/wastrel Manuel Vázquez Gallego.
In 2014 he released Torrente V: Operación Eurovegas with Alec Baldwin as guest star, and was the top release of 2014 in Spain (FILMAFFINITY).
He has since made his way into American culture by making appearances in movies such as Pacific Rim, Hellboy, Hellboy II: The Golden Army and Blade II (all of them by Del Toro), Perdita Durango (by De la Iglesia), Jack and Jill and Agent Cody Banks 2: Destination London.
Because of his success, Santiago Segura has become a producer. He owns Amiguetes Entertainment company and has produced Promedio Rojo (featuring Nicolás López).
- Relatos de medianoche (1989) (short)
- Eduardo (1990) (short)
- Evilio (1992) (short)
- El cobrador del gas sólo llama una vez (1992) (short)
- Acción mutante (1993)
- Perturbado (1993) (short)
- Evilio vuelve (1994) (short)
- El día de la Bestia (1995)
- Killer Barbys (1996)
- Perdita Durango (1997)
- Torrente: El brazo tonto de la ley (1998) (actor, writer and director)
- La niña de tus ojos (1998)
- Muertos de risa (1999)
- París-Tombuctú (1999)
- El corazón del guerrero (2000)
- Sabotage! (2000)
- Obra maestra (2000)
- Torrente 2: Misión en Marbella (2001) (actor, writer, director and producer)
- Girl from Rio (2001)
- Blade II (2002)
- Asesino en serio (2002) (co-producer)
- Beyond Re-Animator (2003)
- El oro de Moscú (2003)
- Tiptoes (2003)
- Una de zombis (2003) (actor and producer)
- Agent Cody Banks 2: Destination London (2004)
- Hellboy (2004)
- Isi Disi (2004)
- Promedio rojo (2004) (producer)
- Di que sí (2004)
- El asombroso mundo de Borjamari y Pocholo (2004) (actor and producer)
- Torrente 3: El protector (2005) (actor, writer, director and producer)
- Isi & Disi, alto voltaje (2006)
- Asterix at the Olympic Games (2008)
- Hellboy II: The Golden Army (2008)
- King Shot (2009)
- The Last Circus (2010)
- Torrente 4: Lethal Crisis (2011)
- Jack and Jill (2011)
- Pa' Habbo (2011)
- El Chef (2012)
- Pacific Rim (2013)
- Wild Oats (2015)
- "The Strain" (2015)
- In the Deep (2016)
- "Santiago Segura". NNDB. Soylent Communications. Retrieved 15 July 2011.
- Rolfe, Pamela (14 March 2011). "Santiago Segura's 'Torrente 4: Lethal Crisis' Breaks Box-Office Record in Spain". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 15 July 2011.