|Coordinates: 30°14′N 75°50′E / 30.23°N 75.83°ECoordinates: 30°14′N 75°50′E / 30.23°N 75.83°E|
|• Total||3,685 km2 (1,423 sq mi)|
|Elevation||232 m (761 ft)|
|• Density||450/km2 (1,200/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Sangrur district (Punjabi: ਸੰਗਰੂਰ ਜ਼ਿਲ੍ਹਾ) is in the state of Punjab in North-West Republic of India. Earlier Barnala was part of Sangrur district, but now Barnala is a separate district. Sangrur consists of the cities of Dhuri, Lehragaga, Malerkotla, Sangrur, and Sunam. Other cities are Ahmedgarh, Amargarh, Bhawanigarh, Dirba, Khanauri, Longowal and Moonak.
According to the 2011 census Sangrur district had a population of 1,655,169 of which male and female were 878,029 and 777,140 respectively roughly equal to the nation of Guinea-Bissau or the US state of Idaho. This gives it a ranking of 300st in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 449 inhabitants per square kilometre (1,160/sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 12.3%. Sangrur has a sex ratio of 885 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 67.99%.
- Udham Singh was an Indian independence activist, who assassinated Michael O'Dwyer in March 1940 in what has been described as the avenging of the Jallianwalla Bagh Massacre
- Surjit Singh Barnala former chief ministers of Indian Punjab
- Sukhdev Singh Dhindsa also hails from Sangrur. (Senior Akali leader and former Union cabinet minister).
- Naresh Goyal, founder of Jet Airways
- Gurchet Chitarkar, actor
- Binnu Dhillon, Actor & Comedian
- Rana Ranbir, Actor, Comedian & Writer
- Irshad Kamil, lyricist and poet
- Surjit Singh Barnala, Politician
- Rajinder Kaur Bhattal, Politician
- "Sangrur District Population 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2013. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 2011-10-01.
Guinea-Bissau 1,596,677 July 2011 est.
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
||Barnala district||Ludhiana district||Fatehgarh Sahib district|
|Mansa district||Fatehabad district, Haryana||Jind district, Haryana|