Roman Empire: Reign of Blood
|Roman Empire: Reign of Blood|
|Based on||Roman Empire|
|Directed by||Richard Lopez|
|Country of origin||
United States |
|No. of episodes||6|
|Original release||November 11 – November 11, 2016|
Roman Empire: Reign of Blood is a docuseries based on historical events. The six-part miniseries derives its origins from the historical Roman Empire and tells the story of Commodus. Jeremiah Murphy and Peter Sherman collaborated on writing the miniseries, with Richard Lopez directing. It premiered on Netflix on November 11, 2016.
Commodus was handsome and strong, the son of Rome's greatest philosopher king. And he was the fool who brought down an empire.
Historical people and events
- Commodus was Roman Emperor from 180 to 192. He also ruled as co-emperor with his father Marcus Aurelius from 177 until his father's death in 180.
- Marcus Aurelius was Roman Emperor from 161 to 180. He ruled with Lucius Verus as co-emperor from 161 until Verus' death in 169. Marcus Aurelius was the last of the so-called Five Good Emperors. He was a practitioner of Stoicism, and his Greek-language writing, commonly known as the Meditations, is the most significant source of the modern understanding of ancient Stoic philosophy.
- Faustina the Younger was a daughter of Roman Emperor Antoninus Pius. She was a Roman Empress and wife to her maternal cousin Marcus Aurelius. Though Roman sources give a generally negative view of her character, she was held in high esteem by soldiers and her own husband and was given divine honors after her death.
- Lucilla was the second daughter and third child of Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius and an elder sister to future Roman Emperor Commodus.
- Avidius Cassius was a Roman general and usurper who briefly ruled Egypt and Syria in 175.
- Sean Bean as Narrator
- Aaron Jakubenko as Commodus
- Genevieve Aitken as Marcia
- Jared Turner as Cleander
- John Bach as Marcus Aurelius
- Tai Berdinner-Blades as Lucilla
44-48 minutes episodes, all airing on November 11, 2016
- 1. Born in the Purple
Fighting an implacable enemy in Germania, Marcus Aurelius trains his decadent son Commodus to succeed him, while rumor and intrigues brew back in Rome.
- 2. The Making of an Emperor
The Germanic tribes strike as Marcus Aurelius succumbs to disease, leaving a skeptical Emperor Commodus to prosecute a war that doesn't interest him.
- 3. Enemy of the Senate
Commodus rises to power as Rome's new emperor, but not everyone supports his ascent. Among those conspiring against him: his older sister Lucilla.
- 4. Rome is Burning
Commodus defeats his sister's coup but withdraws from governing, allowing others to amass power while he engages in an affair and banishes his wife.
- 5. Fight for Glory
A disastrous grain shortage reveals Cleander's treachery and leaves Commodus isolated, inspiring him to train as a gladiator in a bid to unite Rome.
- 6. 14 Days of Blood
Lavish imperial games at the Colosseum are highlighted by the emperor's bloody victories, but his paranoid abuses of power lead to a final betrayal.
- O'Keefe, Meghan (11 November 2016). "Roman Empire: Reign of Blood is an Uncensored Look at Ancient History". The Decider.
- Robinson, Joanna; Lawson, Richard (25 October 2016). "What's New on Netflix in November—and What to Watch Before It Disappears". Vanity Fair. Retrieved 20 November 2016.
- O'Keefe, Meghan (15 November 2016). "'Roman Empire: Reign of Blood': Who was the Real Lucilla?". The Decider. Retrieved 20 November 2016.
- Gladiator, a heavily fictionalized telling of the life of Commodus.