February 14, 1930|
Zagreb, Kingdom of Yugoslavia, (now Croatia)
Elly (née Lerch) Bašić|
Relja Bašić (born 14 February 1930) is a Croatian actor, one of the most prolific and versatile Croatian actors with a career which lasts for more than half a century.
Bašić was born on 14 February 1930 in Zagreb, at the time of Kingdom of Yugoslavia. He was born to a Jewish mother Elly (née Lerch) Bašić. Bašić was raised by his mother and stephfather Mladen Bašić. He first appeared on screen in 1954 classic film Koncert. Through the decades, he played many different roles in many different films, often in international co-productions. He never became a star, but remained one of the most recognisable and dependable character actors. His specialty were the roles of suave aristocratic villains, especially in historic films dealing with World War II, but his best remembered role is Mr. Fulir in 1970 cult musical comedy Tko pjeva zlo ne misli.
In the 1990s, Relja Bašić was an enthusiastic supporter of the Croatian Social Liberal Party. During 1992 parliamentary elections he appeared as that party's candidate in one of Zagreb constituencies. He lost that race to Nedjeljko Mihanović of HDZ in controversial circumstances. A few months later, on elections for upper House of Croatian Parliament, he won the seat representing City of Zagreb.
Relja Bašić also acts as a UNESCO Artist for Peace.
|1955||Millions on the Island||Žuti/Štakor|
|1956||Pulverschnee nach Übersee|
|1957||Sand, Love and Salt||Innkeeper|
|1960||The Battle of Austerlitz||Soldier||uncredited|
|1961||The Seven Revenges|
|1961||Le goût de la violence|
|1962||Il capitano di ferro|
|1965||Covik od svita|
- Snješka Knežević (2011, p. 106)
- "Holocaust Survivors and Victims Database: Relja Basic". United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. Retrieved 8 February 2013.
- "Odluka o odlikovanju Relje Bašića Redom Danice hrvatske s likom Marka Marulića". Narodne novine (in Croatian) (94/1995). Retrieved 2012-11-27.
- Bio details, UNESCO Artist for Peace
- Snješka Knežević, Aleksander Laslo (2011). Židovski Zagreb. Zagreb: AGM, Židovska općina Zagreb. ISBN 978-953-174-393-8.
- Relja Bašić at the Internet Movie Database
- "Filmografija Relje Bašića" [Relja Bašić's Filmography] (PDF). Hrvatski filmski ljetopis (in Croatian) (9): 97–101. April 1997. Retrieved 12 November 2014.