Radio in Norway
There are many radio stations in Norway. For a more comprehensive list see List of Norwegian-language radio stations. Norway is in the process of transitioning all radio stations away from FM broadcasting to Digital Audio Broadcasting only. The switch-over will begin in 2017.
- NRK P1 is the biggest channel in Norway, offering a variety of programs for the vast majority. News headlines every hour.
- NRK P2 is the cultural channel, offering a daily morning news program, as well as classical music.
- NRK P3 is the youth channel, with new popular and often Norwegian music.
NRK also broadcasts specialized radio channels:
- NRK Sámi radio:programs and news in Sami languages
- NRK Klassisk: classical music. It was the first DAB radio channel in the world. Originally called " NRK Alltid Klassik"
- NRK Alltid Nyheter (Always news) news, replays of news programs from other NRK stations. Re-broadcasts BBC World Service at night.
- NRK mP3 a variant of NRK P3, just without hosts. Broadcasts pop music, often used in gym studios.
- NRK Folkemusikk: folk music from Norway and rest of the world. Originally called "NRD Alltid Folkemusikk"
- NRK Super is a radio station for children.
- NRK P1+ Grew out of what was NRK Gull
- NRK Båtvær is a channel specifically for seafarers, broadcasting weather news in a loop.
- NRK Jazz:jazz music.
- NRK Sport broadcasts live sport.
- NRK Stortinget broadcasts when parliament (Storting) is in session.
Other major channels
- P4 is a commercial radio station, broadcasting popular music, with some light programs. P4 is most commonly heard in cars.
- Radio Norge broadcasting popular music, similar to P4.
Regional radio stations
These stations are available in several larger Norwegian cities
Local radio stations
For a list of local radio stations in Norway, see List of Norwegian radio stations.
Stations with a Norwegian target audience that only broadcast on the Internet.
- Lizzie Plaugic (April 19, 2015). "In 2017, Norway will be first country to shut down FM radio". The Verge. Retrieved April 19, 2015.