République (video game)
|Publisher(s)||GungHo Online Entertainment|
Players communicate with the main character, Hope, through their phone or computer, in order to help her escape. The player controls surveillance cameras in the fictional totalitarian state or corporate republic of République in order to monitor Hope's actions, as well as hack into various electronic devices.
The interface that the player must use is the "OMNI View" software, which allows them to lock and unlock doors, distract patrolling enemies, and obtain information. In some situations, the player must upgrade their OMNI View to higher versions, enabling them to access areas and nodes with stronger security. In the OS X and Windows versions, players will be able to access multiple cameras at once.
République takes place in an unnamed totalitarian state (similar to George Orwell's 1984), within a facility called "Metamorphosis". Here, the Prizrak, the people of the totalitarian state, perform mysterious experiments on "Pre-Cals", people who were born and raised in the facility. One Pre-Cal woman, Hope (voiced by Rena Strober), manages to contact the player through their phone, and requests them to help her escape from Metamorphosis.
Hope and the player receive assistance from Cooper (voiced by James Holloway), an American who works as a Prizrak in Metamorphosis. Other characters include Daniel Markus Zager (voiced by David Hayter), a deceased revolutionary who leaves audio logs behind for Hope and the player; and Mireille Prideaux (voiced by Jennifer Hale), who serves as Hope's caretaker.
Ryan Payton, founder of Camouflaj, initiated the project because he wanted to "stop complaining about the lack of real games on mobile and start making one". The idea for Hope came about when he was performing a thought experiment about how to make Love Plus for a Western audience. Payton cites Nineteen Eighty-Four as a major influence on the atmosphere. The game also draws inspiration from Metal Gear, the first Resident Evil, and Demon's Souls. The central themes are "voyeurism, paranoia, censorship, and control". Logan co-founder Alexei Tylevich serves as art director; Logan will focus on visual development while Camouflaj handles the gameplay and systems. Payton claims the game will last 4–6 hours and feature "Metroidvania"-style exploration.
The game was originally announced for iOS devices but has since expanded to Android, Microsoft Windows and OS X. A PlayStation 4 version, containing all five episodes, has been released on 22 March 2016.
|iOS release||Android release||PC & OS X release||PS4 release|
|Episode 1: "Exordium"||December 19, 2013||October 22, 2014||February 26, 2015||March 22, 2016|
|Episode 2: "Metamorphosis"||May 2, 2014||October 22, 2014||February 26, 2015||March 22, 2016|
|Episode 3: "Ones and Zeroes"||October 20, 2014||October 22, 2014||February 26, 2015||March 22, 2016|
|Episode 4: "God's Acre"||December 17, 2015||December 17, 2015||December 17, 2015||March 22, 2016|
|Episode 5: "Terminus"||March 22, 2016||March 22, 2016||March 22, 2016||March 22, 2016|
|Episode 1: Exordium||76.76%||77|
|Episode 2: Metamorphosis||78.71%||79|
|Episode 3: Ones and Zeroes||75.87%||75|
Episode 1: Exordium
Episode 2: Metamorphosis
Episode 3: Ones and Zeroes
- Admin, GungHo (June 22, 2015). "GungHo to Publish Future Episodes of Camouflaj's République". GungHo Online Entertainment. Retrieved June 22, 2015.
- Romano, Sal (November 19, 2015). "Atlus and NIS America to distribute Republique for PS4 at retail in North America and Europe". Gematsu. Retrieved November 19, 2015.
- Matulef, Jeffrey (April 30, 2014). "Republique - Episode 2: Metamorphosis is out now". Eurogamer. Gamer Network. Retrieved April 30, 2014.
- Ashcraft, Brian (2012-04-05). "République's Ambitions Are Way Greater Than Just Metal Gear Stealth". Kotaku. Retrieved 2012-05-19.
- "First Installment of Dystopian Thriller République Now Available on the App Store" (PDF). Media.wix.com. Retrieved 2015-03-30.
- Davis, Justin (2012-04-10). "From Halo 4 to Republiqu". IGN. Retrieved 2012-05-19.
- Berghammer, Billy (2012-05-01). "Update #8: Team Meeting About République PC & Mac". Kickstarter. Retrieved 2012-05-19.
- Miller, Matt (2012-04-10). "République: The Ryan Payton Interview". GameInformer. Retrieved 2012-05-19.
- Camoflaj (19 December 2013). République. iOS.
- Camoflaj (19 December 2013). République. iOS. Level/area: Episode 1: Exordium.
- Camoflaj (19 December 2013). République. iOS. Scene: (when starting the game; after showing the Camoflaj, Unity Engine, and CriWare logos).
"I used to get angry 'cause I thought my government wasn't listening to me. Now I'm angry 'cause I know they are."
- Berghammer, Billy (2012-05-03). "Update #10: David Hayter and Jennifer Hale Join The Cast of République!". Kickstarter. Retrieved 2012-05-19.
- "RÉPUBLIQUE by Camouflaj LLC". Archived from the original on January 18, 2014. Retrieved January 18, 2014.
- Matthew Reynolds (December 20, 2013). "Republique interview: Camouflaj on episodes, Kickstarter, iOS release". www.digitalspy.com/. Hearst Magazines UK. Retrieved July 8, 2014.
- "Official Republique Trailer". YouTube. 2012-04-10. Retrieved 2014-01-18.
- Fletcher, JC (2012-04-10). "Camouflaj Kickstarting iOS stealth game 'Republique,' see the first trailer". Joystiq. Retrieved 2012-05-19.
- Parish, Jeremy (2012-05-10). "Why I'm Supporting the Republique Kickstarter". 1UP.com. Retrieved 2012-05-19.
- Berghammer, Billy (2012-04-25). "Update #4: Top 10 Community Questions". Kickstarter.com. Retrieved 2012-05-19.
- Sheffield, Brandon (2012-04-11). "The origins of Republique: when Metal Gear Solid meets Demon's Souls". Gamasutra. Retrieved 2012-05-19.
- Pereira, Chris (2012-04-10). "Republique May Pave The Way For More Hardcore iOS Games". 1UP.com. Retrieved 2012-05-19.
- Berghammer, Billy (2012-04-26). "Update #5: République Announced For PC And Mac!". Kickstarter.com. Retrieved 2012-05-19.
- Payton, Ryan (2012-05-11). "Update #16: We All Did It!". Kickstarter.com. Retrieved 2012-05-19.
- Payton, Ryan (2012-05-11). "Update #17: We Are Funded". Kickstarter.com. Retrieved 2012-05-19.
- Pereira, Chris (August 19, 2015). "PS4 Getting Acclaimed Stealth Game République Next Year". GameSpot. Retrieved August 19, 2015.
- "République - Episode 1: Exordium Reviews". GameRankings. Retrieved February 26, 2015.
- "République - Episode 1: Exordium Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved February 26, 2015.
- "République - Episode 2: Metamorphosis Reviews". GameRankings. Retrieved February 26, 2015.
- "République - Episode 2: Metamorphosis Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved February 26, 2015.
- "République - Episode 3: Ones and Zeroes Reviews". GameRankings. Retrieved February 26, 2015.
- "République - Episode 3: Ones and Zeroes Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved February 26, 2015.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: République (video game)|