Pregnancy options counseling
Pregnancy options counseling is a form of psychological counseling that provides information and support regarding pregnancy, often unwanted pregnancy. This type of counseling assists the pregnant woman who is considering choices regarding the continuation of her pregnancy. In it, the counselor impartially presents the patient with her options that usually include: continuing the pregnancy, either through parenting herself or making an adoption plan, and abortion. Ideally, the counselor does not affect the decision of the patient.
Pregnancy options counselors should know local and national laws governing woman's pregnancy choices, especially those concerning adolescents and their rights to make such decisions. They should provide medically accurate and factual information on prenatal care, adoption and abortion. Often they provide their patients with the names of nearby hospitals and clinics and with contact numbers for help in case of emotional distress.
- Abortion and mental health
- Crisis pregnancy center
- List of counseling topics
- Postpartum depression
- Pregnancy options counseling in the United States
- Psychiatric disorders of childbirth
- AAFP — "Reproductive Decisions". American Academy of Family Physicians.
- AAP — American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Adolescence (May 1998). "Counseling the adolescent about pregnancy options". Pediatrics. 101 (5): 938–40. doi:10.1542/peds.101.5.938. PMID 9565431.
- AWHONN — "Health Care Decision Making for Reproductive Care" (PDF). Association of Women's Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses.
- AMWA — "Abortion & Access to Comprehensive Reproductive Health Services". American Medical Women's Association.