Pluto's Christmas Tree
|Pluto's Christmas Tree
|Pluto shorts series
Threatrical release poster
|Bill Berg, Milt Schaeffer
|Jimmy MacDonald, Clarence Nash, Pinto Colvig, Dessie Miller, Ruth Clifford (all uncredited)
George Kreisl, Fred Moore, Bill Justice, Volus Jones
Additional effects animation:
Blaine Gibson, George Rowley (both uncredited)
|Walt Disney Productions
|RKO Radio Pictures
Pluto's Christmas Tree is a 1952 Mickey Mouse cartoon in which Pluto and Mickey cut down a Christmas tree that Chip n' Dale live in. It is notable as one of the few Disney shorts directed by Jack Hannah not to star Donald Duck, although Donald does make a cameo at the end.
Mickey and Pluto are searching for a Christmas tree, while Chip and Dale are looking for acorns in the forest. Once Chip and Dale see Pluto, they hit him with acorns and tease him and scurry from his chasing and he goes into a mountain of snow and made a dachshund shaped snowman. Once Pluto is distracted, they hide in a tree. Mickey chops down that very tree, unaware that Chip and Dale are in it.
Once they get home, Mickey and Pluto decorate the tree and Chip and Dale are admiring the decorations. After that, Mickey finishes with the decorating and Pluto admires the tree. While admiring he notices a light going on and off. His nose is near the light Dale was playing with. Once he finishes playing with that light, he attempts twisting what happens to be Pluto's nose. Chip pulls Dale away from Pluto with a candy cane. Pluto and Dale bark at each other and Dale throws some ornaments down for Pluto to catch. Mickey comes by and takes the ornaments from him to put back on the tree. Dale goes down the tree to grab some nuts from a bowl. Pluto chases Dale up to the top of the fireplace with Santa candle figures and gets the hat and beard from a figure near him. Pluto notices the strange figure, but he does not get a chance to expose him to Mickey. Pluto knocks the other figures away except Dale. Chip then notices from the tree what is going on. He rescues Dale and heads for the tree. Pluto gets his feet stuck in presents and has difficulty following the chipmunks up the ladder. While Pluto is barking, the chipmunks cause the ladder to fall. Pluto dives in the tree to attack the chipmunks.
Mickey notices Pluto and tries to pull him out, but gets pulled in instead until the tree is stripped of its decorations and leaves. Mickey scolds Pluto for what he did but notices Chip and Dale with only a few decorations and all of the branches bare. Mickey brings them down and Pluto barks at them. At the window they see Donald, Goofy and Minnie singing "Deck the Halls". While the three are singing, Chip and Dale join in and then Pluto howls in. Chip and Dale find it annoying and put a sticker that says "DO NOT OPEN TIL XMAS" over his mouth.
- Jimmy MacDonald as Mickey Mouse and Chip
- Pinto Colvig as Pluto and Goofy
- Ruth Clifford as Minnie
- Clarence Nash as Donald
- Dessie Miller as Dale
Scenes from this cartoon would be used for Disney's Very Merry Christmas Songs. It would be used for "Deck the Halls" and "Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!". "Deck the Halls" would use scenes from this cartoon only and "Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!" only uses a small part from this cartoon. Scenes would also be used for other Disney collections, including A Disney Christmas Gift.
- A Walt Disney Christmas (VHS)-1981/1986
- Mickey's Magical Christmas: Snowed in at the House of Mouse (VHS)-2001/(DVD)-2001, 2009 (Cartoon is a segment in the film)
- Walt Disney Treasures: Mickey Mouse in Living Color Volume 2 (DVD)-2004
- Walt Disney's Classic Cartoon Favorites Volume 9: Classic Holiday Stories (DVD)-2005
- Walt Disney Animation Collection: Classic Short Films Volume 7: Mickey's Christmas Carol (DVD)-2011
- Mickey's Christmas Carol 30th Anniversary Edition (DVD, Blu-ray)-2013
- Grant, John (1992). Encyclopedia of Walt Disney's Animated Characters. Hyperion.
- Maltin, Leonard (1973). The Disney Films. Crown.
- Smith, Dave (1995). Disney A-Z. Hyperion.
- Pluto's Christmas Tree at the Internet Movie Database
- Pluto's Christmas Tree at The Big Cartoon DataBase