Percy Jackson's Greek Gods
Cover of U.S. edition with Rocco artwork
|Cover artist||John Rocco (US), Steve Stone (UK)|
|Series||Percy Jackson & the Olympians (companion)|
|Genre||Young adult short story collection, Greek mythology|
Disney Hyperion |
Penguin Group (UK)
August 19, 2014 |
August 7, 2014 (UK)
|Media type||Print (hardcover), e-book|
318 to 336 (US, first ed. variously counted) |
402 pp (UK)
|LC Class||PS3568.I5866 P47 2014|
|Followed by||Percy Jackson's Greek Heroes|
Percy Jackson's Greek Gods is a collection of short stories about Greek mythology as narrated by Percy Jackson. It was written by Rick Riordan and was released on August 19, 2014. It features Percy Jackson giving his own take of the Greek myths in a humorous way.
The book is entitled Percy Jackson and the Greek Gods in the U.K. and much of the Commonwealth of Nations. It is generally published under the Puffin Books imprint of Penguin Group and may be presented as Percy Jackson and the Olympians, volume 6. (The Olympians novels are commonly entitled Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief rather than The Lightning Thief, and so on.)
On April 21, 2013, Rick Riordan announced on his Twitter account that he was writing a new book based on the stories of Greek mythology from Percy Jackson's point of view. He later confirmed this in his blog. While on tour for The House of Hades Rick Riordan also revealed that the book is 450 pages long, with illustrations throughout. It was released on August 19, 2014. John Rocco, the illustrator of the book, announced that there will be 60 full-color paintings drawn by him in the book, and gave a sneak peek of one, depicting Hades kidnapping Persephone.
During the Blood of Olympus tour, Rick Riordan announced a sequel, titled Percy Jackson's Greek Heroes, to be released on August 18, 2015.
Percy Jackson adds his own viewpoint to the Greek myths. Here he presents an introduction to Greek mythology and the 12 major gods and goddesses. With 19 chapters, this includes a variety of stories, from the early tales of Gaea and the Titans, to individual tales about the gods readers encountered in the Camp Half-Blood chronicles. Percy's irreverent voice is evident from titles such as "Hera Gets a Little Cuckoo," "Zeus Kills Everyone," and "Artemis Unleashes the Death Pig," and the stories are told in his voice with his distinctive perspective.
Nature Spirits (nymphs, satyrs, etc.)
- Percy Jackson's Greek Gods title listing at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database. Retrieved 2015-11-14. Select a title to see its linked publication history and general information. Select a particular edition (title) for more data at that level, such as a front cover image or linked contents.
- "Percy Jackson's Greek Gods". LC Online Catalog. Library of Congress (lccn.loc.gov). Retrieved 2015-11-14.
- "Percy Jackson & the Greek Gods". Rick Riordan Myth Master. Penguin Books (rickriordan.co.uk). Retrieved 2015-11-14.
Contrary to the webpage title, the book title "Percy Jackson and ..." appears on the front cover and is used by distributors; for instance, select "Buy book" and "Buy from Malaysia".
- "Percy Jackson's Greek Gods by Rick Riordan, illustrated by John Rocco". Kirkus Reviews. July 15, 2014. Retrieved 2015-11-06.
- "Exclusive sneak peek! Percy Jackson and the Greek Gods by Rick Riordan". The Guardian. August 2, 2014. Retrieved August 31, 2014. Byline Rick Riordan; primarily the three-page entry for Hera, "Hera Gets a Little Cuckoo"; the editorial heading states, "Percy Jackson and the Greek Gods is published on 7 August 2014."
- "Formats and Editions of Percy Jackson and the Greek Gods, 6". WorldCat. Retrieved 2015-11-14.
- Riordan (April 21, 2013). "———". Twitter.com @camphalfblood.
- Riordan (June 12, 2013). "Update from Athena House". Myth & Mystery: The official blog for author Rick Riordan. Retrieved 2015-11-14. "I plan on spending the summer finishing up Percy Jackon’s Book of Greek Gods – a collection of the original myths told from Percy Jackson’s point of view."
- John Rocco. "2014 – a novel, an illustrated book of myths and a picture book, oh my ...". ROCCO Art (roccoart.com).
- Percy Jackson and the Olympians series site from publisher Disney (readriordan.com)
- Percy Jackson at Rick Riordan Myth Master from Penguin Books (UK)
- Rick Riordan at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database