|Genre||CGI anime series|
|Created by||Naomi Iwata|
|Voices of||(See article)|
|Country of origin||
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||26 (list of episodes)|
Clive A. Smith
|Running time||30 min.|
|Original release||September 3, 2001 – September 18, 2002|
Pecola (Japanese: ペコラ) is a 3D Japanese-Canadian anime children's television series which stars cube-shaped anthropomorphic animals in a place called Cube Town. It is based on a series of children's picture books by Naomi Iwata.
Pecola aired on Cartoon Network in the United States in 2003. In Canada, the show aired on Teletoon from September 3, 2001 to September 18, 2002. The series was also aired on Spacetoon in Indonesia during 2007 and 2012. Now, the show airs reruns on Qubo.
The show stars Pecola, a curious and hyperactive penguin who tries to help the people of Cube Town but often wreaks havoc instead. Pecola is an orphaned penguin who lives with Pecolias, his grandfather. Cube Town is a small, isolated coastal village which contains an art museum, a beach, a lighthouse and a canal. It is located adjacent to Crescent Bay surrounded by the Rookery Mountains coastal range and serviced by regular ships (including a weekly freighter) which deliver mail, food and other supplies, as well as occasional tourists from a nearby metropolis named Cubic City. The heights above it lead into Glacier Valley which is snowbound even during summer.
- Austin DiIulio - Pecola
- Stephanie Beard - Coco
- Richard Binsley -Mr Pugawski
- Donald Burda -Gazelle
- George Buza -Mayor Papazoni
- Len Carlson - Officer Kumada
- Michael Cera - Robbie Rabbit
- William Colgate - Dr. Hornbender
- Neil Crone - Dr. Chu
- Jill Frappier - Aunty Yorkshire
- Jake Goldsbie - Rudy
- Keith Hampshire - Postman Rorey
- Tracey Hoyt - Hilary
- Howard Jerome - Mr Bernard
- Robert Tinkler - Various
- Ron Rubin - Various
- John Stocker - Various
- Denis Akiyama - Various
- Rick Jones - Various
- Lawrence Bayne - Various
- Catherine Disher - Various
- Tony Rosato - Various
- Scott Beudin - Various
- Keith Knight - Al A. Gator
- Julie Lemieux - Miss Lucky
- Marla Lukofsky -Mrs Bernard
- Sharron Matthews -Steamer
- Miriam McDonald - "Chewy"(or "Chuie"/"Chewie"/"Little Chu")
- Sunday Muse -Corey
- Scott McCord -Bashatt
- Peter Oldring -Jabbatt
- Stephen Ouimette - Mr. Saruyama
- Avery Saltzman -Bongo
- Adrian Truss - Mr. Lonely
- Chris Wiggins - Pecolias
- Anabella Silva - Pecola
- Gonzalo Fumero - Bongo
- Luis Carreño - Gazelle
- Luis Pérez Pons
- Rolman Bastidas
- Mayumi Asano - Pecola
- Naoko Takano - Coco
- Umeji Sasaki - Pecolius
- Paku Romi - Rabi-san
- Mayumi Asano - Rob Pecola
- Mitsuaki Hoshino - Gao-san
- Ryusei Nakao - Saru-yama
- Kenyu Horiuchi - Gazelle
- Yu Shimaka - Mayor Papazōni
- Chika Sakamoto - Tsunekichi
- Miyu Matsuki - Cori
- Pecola — A penguin who brings excitement to the otherwise dull and boring town. Unlike his fellow penguins, Pecola cannot swim. His catchphrases include "Flapping Flippers!" and "Let's Get Hopping!" Pecola has a special love of pudding and a reputation for pulling pranks.
- Little Chu/Chewy — A mouse who is the grandson of the great inventor Dr. Chu, and a budding inventor in his own right. He is Pecola's best friend and often reluctant ally in various escapades. He often complains of having a funny feeling in his stomach just before things get out of hand.
- Dr. Chu — A mouse who is Little Chu's grandfather. He is Cube Town's greatest inventor and he often invents gadgets that help others on the island. His inventions are often used by Pecola and Chewy in their adventures. He is also friends with Pecola's grandfather, Pecolias. He owns two vehicles one is a submarine and also an airplane called the Mad Mouse which sits on top his laboratory.Likes to collect comics
- Coco — Another penguin. She is more down to earth than Pecola, and is sometimes frustrated by his antics. She loves to sing; unfortunately, she is terrible at it.
- Mr. Saruyama — A monkey who runs a fruit stand in town. He is often the target of Pecola's pranks, often leading to his melons falling over, which is a running gag in the show. He also runs the town's newspaper, the "Town Crier" . He also cries a lot.
- Gao/Roary — A lion who is Cube Town's postman. He is determined and dedicated to his job, he has never missed a day of work which won him the postman of the year award in , though he did get sick in during this episode it was revealed when he was younger he wasn't as good at delivering the mail, but learned from his mistakes and created rules to help him with his job.
- Pug/Mr. Puggalski — A pug who owns a grocery store. He is a descendant of the personal chef of the former king of Cube Town. He is also said to be the worlds greatest hide and seek player ( hide and go sleep) though when nobody could find him he was sick at home and still won.
- Dr. Hornbender — An old goat astrologist who lives and works at the observatory. His greatest dream is the discovery of new planets, constelatons, and aliens.Along with getting a shooting star named after him
- Rabi/Robbie — A nervous Rabbit who likes video games.
- Mayor Papazoni — An elephant. The mayor who makes long and boring speeches. Papazoni travels in a helicopter that he pilots himself. He hides in secret tunnels under the city and at a Mayoral Retreat to work on his speeches, undisturbed by residents and their questions. Constantly refers to the citizens of Cube Town as "voters". His voice is an imitation of veteran newsman Walter Cronkite.
- Steam / Stim / Steamer — A cat train mechanic and engineer. Chewy, Pecola, and Rudy are smitten with her, which is the cause of tensions and arguments among the three. Her train, The Cactus, is intended eventually to provide a direct link with Cubic City via a tunnel being constructed under the Rookery Mountains . She often stops her work on the engine to play soccer with Pecola and his friends.
- Aunty Yorkshire — A pig who does the laundry for the town and is often one of the few adults tolerant of Pecola's shenanigans. Whenever Pecolius is away she's the one to often babysit Pecola. She also has a son who lives in Cubic City and often says Pecola reminds her of him.
- Mr. and Mrs. Banard/Bernard — Two beagles. They run the town's bakery, though Mr. Bernard often falls asleep on the job and is credited by others for his wife's work.
- Jabatt and Bashatt — Two tortoises. They are Cube Town's firemen, although there are never fires in Cube Town. Despite this, they often help out around town, and they often provide comic relief when they bump into each other.
- Officer Kumada — A bear. He helps keep the Cube Town safe with his various rules and observations.
- Mr. Lonely - A wolf. He is a poet who is usually found writing and reciting sad poetry. He also once rapped. In Coco's concert but is unable to write poetry when in a happy mood.
- Gazelle — A vain gazelle; Hillary's boyfriend. He dreams of being a modern artist. He owns a convertible that he lovingly maintains and often drives about in Cube Town. He also owns a jet ski. In addition to art he loves to collect belt buckles.
- Srally/Hillary - A giraffe; Gazelle's girlfriend. She owns Cube Town Art Museum and is very fashionable. She is also picky about her weight, which is a running gag in the show.
- Miss Lucky — A blue cat who reports for Cube Town News. She also helped Pecola make a movie.
- Golagola/Gola Gola — A friendly sea creature who saved Pecola from drowning. At first, the town feared him, but they came to accept him. He has helped with various beach activities and is often seen playing with Pecola and his friends at the beach.
- Tsunekichi/Rudy — Pecola's fox friend whose catchphrases are "I knew that" and "I was going to say/ask that". He is prone to bragging and showing off his latest toys, not sharing and declaring he is the best at whatever activity he is engaged in.
- Cori — A squirrel that runs Cori's Cafe as chef and waitperson.
- Bongo — A very strong and athletic gorilla who is kind, but is often clumsy as either bumps into something or breaks something though apologizes for it with a trademark"Sorry". In it was revealed he collects model cars.
- Pecolius — A penguin. Pecola's grandfather who bears a resemblance to Indiana Jones because of his adventures in the name of science and archeology. He appreciates Pecola's unique personality, but at times reminds him to stay out of trouble.
- Robo-Pecola — A robot version of Pecola who was built by Dr. Chu to teach Pecola better manners as revealed in his debut in . Though his various glitches lead him to cause more trouble than the real Pecola.
- Alligetao/Al Agator — A mysterious alligator. He is seen sneaking around Cube Town, taking pictures.
- Rock the Brock — A badger who is a reporter in Cubic City who hosts and interviewed the show "Big City Life" where he interviews successful people in Cubic City.
- Power Pal — A gorilla superhero on TV that is Pecola's favorite. He looks like Bongo except wearing red superhero tights, cape, and mask. He can fly and has super strength. He inspired Pecola become Power Pecola.
In Japan, an educational game based on the show was released for the Sega Pico entitled Pecola no Daibouken Maboroshi no Aisukurīmu wo Sagase! (ペコラのだいぼうけん まぼろしのアイスクリームをさがせ!)
Home video releases
The show was released to DVD in Japan, Australia, France, and Taiwan. A DVD release of the show in the US has yet to be announced; however, it is available on Amazon Video in the country.
The theme to Pecola uses phrasing and a melody reminiscent of the theme song to I Dream of Jeannie
- gottsuiiyan (October 30, 2008). "Back in time with Billy Bat". The Eastern Edge. Archived from the original on August 27, 2011.
- "Television Program Logs". Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission. 2016-03-02. Archived from the original on 2016-05-16.